Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Protection for front end.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2009, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protection for front end.

This may not belong in the show n shine section if not mods please move. Anyway back on topic. I just got the front end of my car repainted from a little incident i had on the ice. There were major stone chips in my hood and on my 2 front fenders from b4 the accident, so im just wondering what is there that i can do to prevent this from happening again. Ive read about the clear bras but i dont know if i like them or not. this would just be something temorary as i would drive on long road trips. The car is not my DD, so im not worried about the around town issues when i take the car out on the weekends or when i take it out just for a little ride. Its the long highway trips to like Ocean city and such im worried about my front end getting chipped up again. I thought about the blue masking tape that people use when going to car shows but that seems like alot of work. Im in the works of searching for maybe the tape/ film that the dealers use when transporting cars or recieving them. If anyone can help me with finding that, it would be greatly appreciated Or any other ideas people have would be good thanks guys.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Bump...someone has to have some ideas???
Old Jan 8, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

painters tape..
Old Jan 8, 2009, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

lol yeah isnt that alot of work? dosent it come in like 2 inch rolls and have to put it on peice by peice?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

do a 3M clear bra, you'll be pleased with the end results, they are barely noticable unless you let them get dirty
Old Jan 8, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^+1
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:11 AM

clear bra ftw. if you were in Cali, you could go to Aerotech. they do amazing work
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Clear bra is pretty much the only option besides a normal bra or the painters tape. Griots has some stuff you spray on but, I don't know anyone who has used it.

The other option would be to increase following distance. That helps a ton.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 06:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...Q5fAccessories
Old Jan 8, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The clear bra is great. I have one on my front bumper and hood and its barely noticeable and definitely works great. They are a little expensive but well worth it.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 03:57 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OhsixIXBish
I just got the front end of my car repainted from a little incident i had on the ice.
Before doing anything, I'd strongly suggest that you wait for the fresh paint to fully off-gas and cure. The process is temperature-dependant - ie. the warmer, the better. As it's cold where you are, this will take many months to complete. Sometime toward June, when you can't smell the paint after the car sits in a very warm garage overnight, stop by the detailing forum. Good luck.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

i have the clear bra on my front bumper on a tb evo 8 and i cant tell the diff....my friend has his hood fenders and front bumper done on his bby and i can tell... but for what its worth my bumper has no chips in it but my hood does have at least 6 or 7 big ones, im in the works of picking a cf hood and when i get that its def getting coated. And i use blue painters tape when ever i go to a track. Good luck with what ever u decide to do
Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys

Originally Posted by FJF
Before doing anything, I'd strongly suggest that you wait for the fresh paint to fully off-gas and cure. The process is temperature-dependant - ie. the warmer, the better. As it's cold where you are, this will take many months to complete. Sometime toward June, when you can't smell the paint after the car sits in a very warm garage overnight, stop by the detailing forum. Good luck.

Yeah well the car is garage kept anyway so maybe it will take a little less time. Thanks man ill check that out!

thanks guys for all the inputs. ill look into the clear bra and the painters tape. Ill check it all out..cheers
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:26 PM

clear bra is the way to go man
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:51 PM

I work at a dealership and have my front end all done in clear bra and it is a huge money saver!!! And I even have a carbon hood, fenders, lip, and inserts! You have to make sure it is a 3M though, they are the only ones that warranty their bras for life against cracking, browning, and clouding! Don't hesitate! Get one! It will save you soooooo Much money!

Quick Reply: Protection for front end.