Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Seibon CF Hood question:D

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So with these CF hoods do they latch on pretty? I know on other cars they have the tendency to come up on you without pins.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:16 AM
Evolving Member

Alright well basically I came to this ;
Seibon=crap cheap get what you pay for carbon fiber pieces avoid them. Lol
My hood latches fine with no hood pins but going 65or 70 the hood starts to move so I'm getting hood pins.
My hood is far beyond repairable, the cracks arnt huge but my hood looks white and ****ty looking probly cuz of the heat?
Getting it painted black for 200$!
Also wan't to get a new cf hood so I was going to order a vis hood, the only thing is I can't decide for wet or dry carbon.
Dry is stonger is what iv heard but isn't as shiny and I wan't to pretty much buy any evo 8 cf piece off of rexspeed and a pair of finders.
Don't know if that would look dumb or not with a dry cf hood.
Can someone point me to a black evo 8 with a ton of cf pieces on it so I can make up my mind about doing this lol.
My car keeps getting keyed so I don't know if ill keep it black but I kind of wan't to...
Its TB or WW...
Thanks
Old Oct 26, 2009, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did not really make to much sense reading that. I dont have a black evo but i have a black Z with a bunch of cf peaces if you want to see that cf looks good on black. what i dont get and understand is why people say you need hood latches with cf hood. Completely false IMO. mine is just fine on both cars no latches. DOES NOT WOBBLE OR SHAKE AT HIGH SPEEDS. sounds like improper installation or a crappy cheap hood if you ask me. i dont really like or enjoy the latch look.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:06 AM

Yeah, CF hoods crack after too much exposure, and just in general wear and tear...
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

if you dont clean and wax it it will crack fade etc... you have to take care of it and it will take care of you
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

I hate seibon stuff, everything I ever had from them cracks for no reason and turns yellow in 6months. If there was like a computer company who sold something for 800 an it only worked for 6 months they would be out of business. I mean really what else cost 6-800,breaks in 6months and it's no big deal? They should be out of buisness
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I didnt do my research and ended up buying a SEIBON hood. I like the looks of it, but the quality is sub-par. The hood lines dont match up to the fenders, the weave is all messed up. Tried to warranty the hood but no such luck, I'm stock with it. I had a Fiber Images hood before (on another car) and that is a quality hood.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:39 AM

I was once told that you should only buy parts that are made from 'dry' carbon fiber instead of 'wet' carbon fiber. They told me that 'dry' is stronger and less likely to crack. Any truth to that?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

I have had three Seibon hoods and here is what I have noticed. Check for yourself.

The hood cracks not because of sunlight but because of rapid cooling.

So if you wash your car right after driving it around town then the clear coat will crack due to the rapid cool down when you spray it with water. Then once it cracks you get the yellowing

So what I do when I wash my car is prop the hood open for a few minutes, drink a beer, wash the other parts of the car. Then after the hood has cooled down on it's own you can wash it.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IndyEvoVIII
I was once told that you should only buy parts that are made from 'dry' carbon fiber instead of 'wet' carbon fiber. They told me that 'dry' is stronger and less likely to crack. Any truth to that?
nah not really stronger lighter is more like it and Way more expensive. want to use that stuff on a TRUE race CAR not a DD lol. paying 2200-2800 for a hood should not be driving Daily lol take it to tracks etc for the outing then stored away.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ Hey how is that 2.3 working out for you. I think I heard they went out of business a few months ago....but it could be a rumor.