Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Seibon CF Hood question:D

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seibon CF Hood question:D

So my cf hood is just the stock looking one.
But above the vent its got all kinds of cracks. I havnt see anyone else's cf hood have cracks inless its the stock version.
Is this correct???? or do all cf hoods crack eventually =/
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

I have a seibon cf hood also but not the stock looking one, and mine came with some cracks in the main vent area...not sure if it was the previous owners fault or natural causes.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

Is it in the clearcoat? Or in the actual CF it self?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pretty sure its just in the clear coat/resin. thats the cheap stuff to fix it you would hve to sand it down and re-resin then reclear process. I have seen several seibon hoods crack like this almost common
Old Oct 7, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Which companys make CF Hoods That Crack and Dont crack? We should make a list
Old Oct 7, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

i used to have one too. same deal
Old Oct 7, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EViR
Which companys make CF Hoods That Crack and Dont crack? We should make a list
any hood can crack dude lol its all in what your doing with it direct sunlight what kind of resin was used clear coat used(cheap stuff) etc way to many varibles.

deft
viz
T-Rex
seibon
robi spec
extreme deminsions
Ait Racing
Baysor
kanasi
hks
cwest
chargespeed
monster
rexspeed
nrg

those are some cf companies that make stuff. I would personally avoid seibon my 350Z is compleletly cf on top half of car and inside and one peace is seibon the hood and its showing signs of yellowing only after 6 months of ownership. I would avoid them. On the other hand i have viz products on Z and evo and they are perfect the only slight spot was my 10lb cf trunk i got from them for my evo required some modding to get it to fit but i wanted the weight savings and i mod/make/wrap carbon fiber all the time you should see the carbon fiber splitter i made for my Z
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

i know sunlight is a huge deal and honestly my evo sits n sunlight ALL DAY LONG
How much is just the stock one ?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EViR
i know sunlight is a huge deal and honestly my evo sits n sunlight ALL DAY LONG
How much is just the stock one ?
not really sure what your asking for?? here are some cf hoods

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lance...Q5fAccessories
Old Oct 9, 2009, 04:33 AM
Evolving Member

I want to jump in on this conversation here. Heres my story... I ran into a little Bambi the other day, and the front of my hood is a little messed. I need to replace it. I read a list of companies that make aftermarket hoods, CF and not. Ive heard to avoid seibon. So basically i would like to get the opinions of people that own aftermarket CF hoods and other parts. Recommendations on manufactures and distributors would be awesome. I would really love to avoid getting a hood that 'yellows' in 6 months. Or that is cracked in spots. Thanks guys. Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

PS. Sorry if i sorta hijacked this thread, i figure this way we could get a list of decent manufacturers going.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

from my experience and from what i've seen....due to sun exposure all CF hoods yellow because of the gelcoat....but simply having your hood sanded down adn re-clearcoated gets rid of that yellowing.
As for the crackin around the vent goes....this happens because of the heat coming from the manifold since its right under the vent. if u notice sometimes u see the heatwaves come out of the hood vent the heat from the manifold tends to crack the clear coat thats why u notice its only right in the middle of the vent area and not all around it....hope that helps.....
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

I used to own a Seibon CF hood and had the exact same problem with the cracking around the hood vent. I took it to MANY different paint/body work places and each one of them didn't even want to try because the cracks were so far in.

I few years ago I bought (and still use) a 1x1 RalliArt CF hood and it hasn't had a single crack anywhere on it so I don't buy the whole "heat from the manifold" theory causing the cracks.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmoothdrJay
I want to jump in on this conversation here. Heres my story... I ran into a little Bambi the other day, and the front of my hood is a little messed. I need to replace it. I read a list of companies that make aftermarket hoods, CF and not. Ive heard to avoid seibon. So basically i would like to get the opinions of people that own aftermarket CF hoods and other parts. Recommendations on manufactures and distributors would be awesome. I would really love to avoid getting a hood that 'yellows' in 6 months. Or that is cracked in spots. Thanks guys. Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

PS. Sorry if i sorta hijacked this thread, i figure this way we could get a list of decent manufacturers going.
i posted a list above where you typed look at it

Originally Posted by Lgkaos
I used to own a Seibon CF hood and had the exact same problem with the cracking around the hood vent. I took it to MANY different paint/body work places and each one of them didn't even want to try because the cracks were so far in.

I few years ago I bought (and still use) a 1x1 RalliArt CF hood and it hasn't had a single crack anywhere on it so I don't buy the whole "heat from the manifold" theory causing the cracks.
actually if you must know its the cheap clear coat that cracks first then underneath it is a resin coated over the actual cf weave that cracks as well. if you use a more higher quality resin and clear then cracking is not a issue. hints the fact seibon could care less about that

Last edited by RockmanX; Oct 9, 2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had the same problem. reclearcoated it and looks like new.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

I've had two different types of Seibon cf hoods and never had any problems.