Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Repair Stock Wheel Damage?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2003, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Repair Stock Wheel Damage?

So, I got my new tires put on for winter and the alignment I wanted (as much negative camber as possible). I asked the dealership who did their work and I went there.

Apparently, a Go__amn mistake! I had the car washed the day before with wheel cleaner at a very good touchless wash place. So, when I got home after tires and alignment I wanted to clean the wheels back up. EVERY wheel as a mark about 2-3 inches long where the finish has been pressed if not scraped. Each wheel as at least one more mark in it. In one of them I can see white and then BARE METAL(???) underneath - atmittedly, a tiny spot, BUT!

Now, I'm going to the dealership first thing Monday to check the other Evos on the lot for wheel damage and to tell the Service Manager about my experience at his 'recommended' shop. Then I'm headed over to the people who did the work. I HATE being in this position worse than having the damage to have to give people sh*t about their equipment and workmanship (shrug). But it has to be done and everyone I know will know not to take wheels they value to them ever.

Anyway, I'm stuck (at the moment) with this problem and that forces me to ask a LOT of questions you all might be able to help with:

1. How much is a replacement wheel?

2. How much is wheel finish repair per wheel?

3. Are these things powder-coated as it seems?

4. I assume oxidation under the finish has begun, how can I stop it?

5. What does a self-repair look like?

Thanks all...

Old Nov 8, 2003, 09:24 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Repair Stock Wheel Damage?

Originally posted by KazzEvo8
So, I got my new tires put on for winter and the alignment I wanted (as much negative camber as possible). I asked the dealership who did their work and I went there.

Apparently, a Go__amn mistake! I had the car washed the day before with wheel cleaner at a very good touchless wash place. So, when I got home after tires and alignment I wanted to clean the wheels back up. EVERY wheel as a mark about 2-3 inches long where the finish has been pressed if not scraped. Each wheel as at least one more mark in it. In one of them I can see white and then BARE METAL(???) underneath - atmittedly, a tiny spot, BUT!

Now, I'm going to the dealership first thing Monday to check the other Evos on the lot for wheel damage and to tell the Service Manager about my experience at his 'recommended' shop. Then I'm headed over to the people who did the work. I HATE being in this position worse than having the damage to have to give people sh*t about their equipment and workmanship (shrug). But it has to be done and everyone I know will know not to take wheels they value to them ever.

Anyway, I'm stuck (at the moment) with this problem and that forces me to ask a LOT of questions you all might be able to help with:

1. How much is a replacement wheel?

2. How much is wheel finish repair per wheel?

3. Are these things powder-coated as it seems?

4. I assume oxidation under the finish has begun, how can I stop it?

5. What does a self-repair look like?

Thanks all...

1) Don't worry about a replacement wheel, you OWN them if they ****ed it up

2) Not worth the effort, it never looks the same.

3) Enkei wheel powder-coated LMAO nope

4) Sue Em

5) Not good.

This is what lawyers are for. To fix the wrongdoings of all the ****-ups that work on cars. I suggest you threaten to contact one and watch the **** hit the fan. There's no reason you should fork out $30,000 + for a car only to have some grease monkey **** up your rims.

Get new rims for free or threaten to sue. OR get some cashola from them, and sell the stock rims and use the money to buy Volks you sexy pimp you
Old Nov 8, 2003, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

if you dont mind telling me..where did u get your new tires put on?
Old Nov 8, 2003, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Theyb scratched my wheel when i had the tires mounted and balanced. Dealers said they bring their car out to do this stuff. If you complain about your damaged wheels to the company, they will probably fire the guy there. But it doesnt look that bad. I'll double check my wheels again. If anything, I'll go and complain and get them fixed somehow.
Old Nov 8, 2003, 10:23 AM

Look for Nu-Wheel. They charge $125-150/wheel and make them look new and perfect. Pm me for details
Old Nov 8, 2003, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

I don't WANT to have to holler, I don't WANT to have to threaten... I want to tell them they suck and keep them away from me the rest of my life - I'll fix 'em.

Can I get any help in repair/touch-up? Am I in the wrong forum and should get to Tire & Wheel.

Oh, and I'm in Peoria, Illinois, nowhere near Chicago...

~fume~
Old Nov 8, 2003, 02:43 PM

Are the marks from where the let weights were?
Old Nov 8, 2003, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

No way... too long and the extra gouges or two on each are almost random... *shrugs*
Old Nov 16, 2003, 06:09 PM

Feeling your pain. See post under tires and wheels.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

i'm doing the same thing. Filed a claim. If anything, I'll sue. Since I asked my local dealer where I can mount and balance my tires, they said anywhere, they dont mount and balance them. I mount and balanced them somewhere close. I'll tell you more details after my discussion with the company.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Same thing happened to me with my last car, the rims had to reverse-mounted and the place I got em done ****ed them up. It is 100% the dealers fault (no doubt in my mind); tell them that the rims were reverse-mount, and that they "seemed to have forgotten" if you dont wanna be to blunt, and they will get you new ones...