Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Custom HVAC Relocation Kit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Photos of V2 final: Paint is as close as I could get it without going with a custom mixed paint. Remember I'm making these in my basement... they're not going to be perfect but they definitely work better than the crappy orbital kit.

Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somebody know what to do to install the Galant HVAC controls?

Greetings.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoTjeu
Somebody know what to do to install the Galant HVAC controls?

Greetings.
No clue, that would be simpler but i hate doing electrical work so this was an easier bet for me.
First one ships out this week!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

jason is a close personal friend of mine and i have seen it in person and it looks great...and to let you guys know he always trys to make things perfect

Last edited by DreamsOfEvo; Jan 26, 2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

what paint did you use on the v2? It looks GREAT!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MMMR0820
what paint did you use on the v2? It looks GREAT!
Went with a duplicolor satin black from home depot. I was trying to stay away from getting custom mixed paint and this was the closest one I could find. However now I have about 5 brand new bottles of differently branded blacks in my basement... I might blackout my washer and dryer next.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

I've yet to see one that doesn't look tacky.... I'm rather convinced now that I'll stick with a slide out single DIN after seeing all the various attempts. No offense but cutting into the circle of the side controls looks incorrect to my eye. Only a relocation that is slightly wider and not cutting into the outer knob circles would look clean imho.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by acidtonic
I've yet to see one that doesn't look tacky.... I'm rather convinced now that I'll stick with a slide out single DIN after seeing all the various attempts. No offense but cutting into the circle of the side controls looks incorrect to my eye. Only a relocation that is slightly wider and not cutting into the outer knob circles would look clean imho.
Well I went with this approach because I didn't want to loose the OEM grain finish on the exterior of the relocation kit thus without the need to use excess bondo to cover the sides or any cuts in the relocation kit I needed to minimize the HVAC panel. Personally I didn't mind trimming the hvac stickers especially the top since you can barely see from a sitting position. It looks OEM and works just as well as factory. Thanks for the feedback though.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

I totally acknowledge that it's much more work to preserve the circles. I would definitely do the table belt sander method on a throw away part to see if I can even obtain the level of quality desired.

I wonder how hard it would be to attach two servos to the hvac knobs and use a computer controlled relay to simulate pressing the three center buttons (def, ac, vent).

That way I could keep my lower tripple pod which is currently where the relocated hvac *would* go. Add a linux car computer that boots in under 10 seconds, and has a screen to control the settings via touch, and it would be awesome. Think about how clean an hvac free car would look.

I might just do something like this......
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by acidtonic
I totally acknowledge that it's much more work to preserve the circles. I would definitely do the table belt sander method on a throw away part to see if I can even obtain the level of quality desired.

I wonder how hard it would be to attach two servos to the hvac knobs and use a computer controlled relay to simulate pressing the three center buttons (def, ac, vent).

That way I could keep my lower tripple pod which is currently where the relocated hvac *would* go. Add a linux car computer that boots in under 10 seconds, and has a screen to control the settings via touch, and it would be awesome. Think about how clean an hvac free car would look.

I might just do something like this......
That's just way too much work, hahaha
Defintely make a progress thread if you do so though, the problem I think you might have is making the servo's mountable to the hvac panel and still allow for the on/off of the defrost/ac/recirc function as they would be hidden under the dash I assume. If I'm grasping your idea correctly... But definitely give it a shot.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:20 PM
SUSPECTED SCAMMER

Looking for someone to make me this kit!!!! Whos up for the task??
Old Feb 5, 2011, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
talk to the op
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Made this for a friend, looks so much better than the first prototype. I have about 3 of these installed on friends cars and have personally installed and uninstalled mines about 10 times so they're sturdy as long as you don't try to mangle them.
Enjoy!

Old Apr 11, 2011, 09:31 PM

pm me a price if ur still making them
Old May 13, 2011, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would also like a price Pm'd to me if you could.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Custom HVAC Relocation Kit