Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Custom HVAC Relocation Kit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom HVAC Relocation Kit

Final Photos seen in the link below and in post #2
Link

Seeing that the orbital kit is no longer made and I really wanted a double din I managed to find a used one for sale on the forums. The problem however was that the lower HVAC piece was missing all of its clips (snapped off) and the overall quality and look of the part was horrendous. So I set out over the last two months buying spare stock HVAC panels, a few radio relocation kits and some sand paper, bondo etc...

I followed the following instructions:
Link
However I didn't like that the unit wasn't molded into the relocation kit so I combined these instructions with the insert making a one off orbital HVAC piece...
Link 2

To the OP's of both threads, your links/how-to's were perfect, extremely easy to understand and the job was a breeze. Since I was molding it into the HVAC panel I was able to "over cut" the hvac insert a bit on the smaller side to allow better fitment and some adjustment in the HVAC panel to line it up. I have no concern about having to trim the HVAC stickers as I hear you had to do that on the original orbital kit because fitment sucked.

Using the JDM double din piece from Japanparts I may or may not try to recreate the "hood" effect of the orbital kit seen here: (Note I purchased the wrong finish for the JDM double din piece... )
OEM:

Orbital:

Both: (OEM on right side)

As you can see the Orbital double din has a "awning" (heh...) to prevent too much sun from hitting the double din screen. This is why I purchased the orbital kit in the first place. As far as duplicating this unit, I'm still trying to figure out how but I might make a fiberglass mold of the face and make a hybrid piece out of fiberglass that is glued to the face of an OEM piece then sanded down. Not sure yet..

Now for the HVAC progress:
Since the first link I included pretty much has the exact how-to I didn't bother taking more progress photos. I'll be making two more units for my two close friends (yea they owe me... ahem dennis/brian...) so maybe I'll take photos then.
At the time I didn't have bondo so I used JBweld, its just as thick and has similar properties as bondo (sorta... its sandable, tappable, drillable, etc I love the stuff).

After 2 layers of JB weld (Sanded):

So far that's all I have done, its prepped for priming/paint so that'll be my next task.

Additional Photos:
Comparison between OEM Modded and Orbital:

(Note the quality and look of the orbital.. looks kinda crappy in my opinion)
Orbital:

OEM:

Orbital:

OEM:

Orbital:

OEM:

NOTE: Keep in mind I bought my orbital kit used.. I don't know if the previous owner did any of these mods to make it fit better but I'm just going by what I have.

Last edited by bruce988jl; Feb 21, 2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

FINAL PHOTOS!
Version 1
Keep in mind this is my first round and the part will be getting a satin finish to blend in better.
Above is the Orbital and Below is my prototype.... Notice the slouch in the orbital kit vs my setup. Also note the hole where the a/c, defrost, etc buttons are, mines are oem and the orbital looks like a 12 yr old went at it with a dremel.

Managed to keep the factory relocation kit dashboard texture for most of the part: (sorry the part is a bit dusty)

Currently looking for relocation kits and HVAC panels, moreso relocation kits!

EDIT:
Finished Product:
Made this for a friend, looks so much better than the first prototype. I have about 3 of these installed on friends cars and have personally installed and uninstalled mines about 10 times so they're sturdy as long as you don't try to mangle them.
Enjoy!

Last edited by bruce988jl; Feb 21, 2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats GREAT man. I'm gonna have to do this too ugh. pls write up a how-to I like how u did urs
Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

and this is why ur not coming out to hang out no more? u god damn engineers. lol. nice job though.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MMMR0820
thats GREAT man. I'm gonna have to do this too ugh. pls write up a how-to I like how u did urs
Follow the first link I posted, its a combination of the two links.. I just opted to keep the oem dash texture thus I didn't bondo the whole thing. I made some minor modifications to make it sturdier and fit better but overall its the same thing. Maybe someday I'll make a how to...

Originally Posted by kim.ry
and this is why ur not coming out to hang out no more? u god damn engineers. lol. nice job though.
Yea well I finished at like 8:30pm and it was ready for paint, I just don't feel like getting high spraying in my basement again so I'll do it this weekend. Not like I have a double din radio to install if I do switch over... If anything I'll probably hold onto this set until I make another one. Brian and Dennis both want one.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 09:48 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Great work! Your orbital looks horrible compared to mine, though
Old Nov 4, 2010, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BBS
Great work! Your orbital looks horrible compared to mine, though
Yea not sure what happened to it, wasn't planning on using it other than as a template. My friend's gonna buy it off me since he 'cant' wait for me to make a piece for him haha.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:07 PM

are you going to be building these and selling them? looks great by the way
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bruce988jl
Yea not sure what happened to it, wasn't planning on using it other than as a template. My friend's gonna buy it off me since he 'cant' wait for me to make a piece for him haha.
I'll wait for his lol....how much?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by MMMR0820

i agree... Write up a how-to!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Just finished prepping the first one for paint, going to primer and paint this weekend when it stops raining.

Also going to be ordering a fiberglass mold and parts making kit sometime within the next month. This is a slow progress since I don't have a double din yet so I'm in no rush.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to make a how-to for the next one I make, it'll go a lot smoother since I know exactly what to do now.

Last edited by bruce988jl; Dec 15, 2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

thanks man
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Nice work! Check out mine: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post8634646
Old Dec 6, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

any update on this?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

???

Quick Reply: Custom HVAC Relocation Kit