Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My winter IX RS project cleanup

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milford
does this car not have power steering?
Correct, but it weighs 2596 in it's full street trim, so it's not too bad to drive without it.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
mark im pretty sure i have a factory service manuel at home on my laptop, pm me your email address and ill send it to you when i get home tonight
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raiceboi697
mark im pretty sure i have a factory service manuel at home on my laptop, pm me your email address and ill send it to you when i get home tonight
That would be excellent, I will PM you my email now.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by neonglh
Correct, but it weighs 2596 in it's full street trim, so it's not too bad to drive without it.
Plus it gives you a good forearm workout. lol It's not really that bad driving w/o power steering.

Loving the RS. Nice and clean
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Another good night of figuring stuff out. First, let's look at the passenger wheel well:

All of these wires can go, they are completely useless for me. After checking, and double checking the factory service manual, they are for the a/c and abs systems (which the RS model never came with), as well as the airbag sensors, which I no longer have. The only 2 wires I need on this side are for the side marker on the fender, and the rest can be pulled through the grommet, into the car, and de-pinned from their source!

Then, on the drivers side, I am making more sense of the headlight wires:

I have to confirm with a multimeter, but I am 95% sure that the red wire above with the blue stripe and grey dots is the LH high beam wire, and the yellow wire is the RH turn signal wire. If this is true, I can route them into my current wire harness for the headlights, and they will be 100% functional!

After figuring that out, I started to work on the fuse block. I want to pull the bottom off, so that I can remove the wires that I no longer need, instead of just having them cut and hanging in the loom:

With the fuse block and wires easier to get too, I can start making sense of that pile of wires. Here is what I have to work with:

I fully understand how the headlights are wired now, and I like it, it's simple. The low beams, ground, and hazard lights from the drivers side of the car are tapped into, and run over to the passenger side of the car. From the factory, the separate lights are on separate wires, but since they both come on at the same time, it's fine to do it this way. I will probably clean up how it's done, but it's done right:

It's pretty obvious that I am in the learning phase of the project right now, but it's all coming together pretty good. I hope that tracing the cut wires back to their source, and removing them from their connectors goes as easy as I think it will. Since the car already ran for a year with no problems (with the wires cut), I am 100% confident that it will be OK to remove the wires all together. Less to get in the way, easier to work on, less of a chance of things shorting out
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
so it was a service manual i had zipped up. glad i could help
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice wire tuck man, really coming along!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

HUGE progress tonight. My main focus was on the front engine harness (RH). This is the harness that goes through a grommet in the passenger wheel well, and goes up to the engine bay to run the following things:

fender marker light
passenger side crash sensor
passenger side front ABS sensor
a dummy port for A/C testing
A/C dual pressure switch

The RS never came with ABS or A/C, and I no longer have airbags, so all of this wiring other than the marker light on the fender could go! I pulled out the plug from inside the car, removed all of the tape and loom to get it under control, cut the wires back (soon to depin once I get the tool), and taped it back up. Here is what I have now!

All of this wire was removed from the harness (which was already cut, just not all the way, it was kept in the wheel well:

So, things are really starting to clean up. Next on the list is the front engine harness (LH), which controls the headlights and the other fender marker light, and hopefully that is it! I will find out soon enough.

And just as a perspective, from just one of the harnesses in the car, I already have removed this much junk. Imagine how much nicer it will be when it's all done!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:22 PM

bump
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by basm917
bump
??
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sikk project man keep it up
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Welp, after taking my seats out of the car, laying on my back under the roll cage, and undoing 2 IMPOSSIBLE connectors, I was able to pull the Front harness (LH) out of the car. This includes the fuse block, and all of the rest of the front chassis items, like headlights, turn signals, etc... I am going to go through and remove all of the wires from this next, and hopefully make it so the fuse block can go INSIDE of the car.

Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

I want that bumper setup! lol Very simple and clean.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by neonglh
I have hit my goal, but maybe I will set a new one for a 9.99 in 2011!
Your crazy...I am assuming that will be done with a built motor & a little more weight reduction??

No fuse box in the engine bay looks awesome!! Nice job man...
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

This looks like fun. I tried to do a little something like this earlier this year. However to the level of how I wanted it, it was going to be a little on the expensive side. So I'm waiting on it til next year when I have the cash available.

Quick Reply: My winter IX RS project cleanup