Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Project Super VIII - My build thread

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper looks so much better
Old May 31, 2012, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Making power without a good intercooler is futile, heat soak onsets rather quickly with the stock unit so I went with a brand that I've used in the past, AMS. Their intercooler kit fits behind the stock re-bar which was a key selling part for me.
I also picked up both upper and lower intercooler piping kits since running the stock rubber piping was a no-no. Watching it expand on the dyno gave me all the reason I needed to replace it.

Here's why I won't worry about heat soak anymore. Check out how much thicker that core is.

Fits just like stock!

Fitment on the piping is superb.

The upper intercooler piping has a shorter route to the throttle body which is great but you need to get rid of the stock battery.

To replace the stock battery I picked up the AMS small battery kit. It weighs a modest 15lbs and has a nice solid mount setup.

My stock battery was just a little bit heavier at 37 lbs.

Unfortunately, the stock Evo + battery terminal was just a tad short for my tastes so I lengthened it.

Since AMS recommends disconnecting the battery when the car sits for long periods of time, I replaced the - terminal with a quick release terminal since my car does sit around quite a bit.

Ditching the Evo 8 bumper seemed like it would be an easy swap over to the 9 but damn I wasn't expecting so much work. Since I didn't buy everything new for the 9 bumper I had to swap over a couple brackets and retrofit the IC sprayer.
The entire process ended up taking way too much time and if I had to do it again, I would buy all the pieces needed rather then try to use some of them from the Evo 8 bumper.
After all that fuss, I had a completed Evo 9 bumper ready to install.

I also caved and traded my Evo 8 headlights for a set of 9 lights. I thought about the JDM black housing lights but wanted a more OEM look so for now I'm sticking with them.
Of course the 9 bumper fits like a glove which is why I don't think I'll ever run any aftermarket fiberglass body part ever again. They just don't have the fitment that I want.

With the engine work pretty much done for now, it's time to move onto the next phase. Suspension and if you look really closely at the photo below you can kinda make out what brand it is
Old Jun 1, 2012, 09:28 AM

I like the progress. I also like Apex Silver, and AMS. I approve! I also decided to pick up your rag and read it this morning at the store. I used to get modified but forgot to resubscribe. I like it better than a lot of other magazines, modified focuses more on just the cars, and less on women. Not to sound weird, but I subscribe to car magazines to read about cars. Also, I hate how some other magazines put out "honda" and "nissan" issues almost every month and only focus on stance and flush. /rant.

Are there going to be any write ups on this car in future issues?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great build man! Looking forward to more pics and updates!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
I like where this build is headed. The little stuff is always entertaining. Good work Subscribed for updates.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

i love that exhaust set up!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

I spy a Whiteline rear sway, and what looks to be some JRZ coilovers....
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:52 AM

Niiice. your x was gorgeous!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

8 bumper was better imo.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sir. You are winning! I'm impressed!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:49 AM

love it ! so you going coilovers ? , and what shoes are you thinking about for this sexy thing. you X was clean man!!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

off to a great start. This will definitely be entertaining to watch.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 01:56 PM

Digging the build. Keep up the good work! I too find the 9 front bumper nicer. But the 8 bumper with a few Varis add ons look really aggressive.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TMSmith
I like the progress. I also like Apex Silver, and AMS. I approve! I also decided to pick up your rag and read it this morning at the store. I used to get modified but forgot to resubscribe. I like it better than a lot of other magazines, modified focuses more on just the cars, and less on women. Not to sound weird, but I subscribe to car magazines to read about cars. Also, I hate how some other magazines put out "honda" and "nissan" issues almost every month and only focus on stance and flush. /rant.

Are there going to be any write ups on this car in future issues?
Haha, thanks man. I too don't know why so many car mags have chicks in them but it seems to sell so they continue to do so. I'm on your side though, I wanna look at magazines with cars and just that so Modified will always be that (as long as Im running it).

This car is being covered in the magazine and the stories actually go into way more detail why certain parts were used and what not so if you want to follow the build along I definitely suggest reading the mag.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

wow very nice! Hoping to see much more stuff coming soon!

Quick Reply: Project Super VIII - My build thread