Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Project Super VIII - My build thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant wait to see how this turns out, loved your X!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice set up!

Question: How did you cover up the exposed metal on the positive cable where you attached the extension?

Old Aug 1, 2012, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 10isace
Nice set up!

Question: How did you cover up the exposed metal on the positive cable where you attached the extension?
I wrapped a piece of thin rubber that I had then used electrical tape. I made sure the entire setup was secured to the engine harness so it couldnt move around and cause potential problems.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 01:20 PM

Very nice! You have great taste on parts.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pstl_pete
I wrapped a piece of thin rubber that I had then used electrical tape. I made sure the entire setup was secured to the engine harness so it couldnt move around and cause potential problems.
Thanks man Took your idea. It works great!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:55 PM

Alright I finally have some time to update this.

If there's one thing that I've learned while building all my cars is that suspension is probably the most important upgrade to make to a vehicle. Not just because of the performance benefits but if you drive your car everyday wouldn't you want the best ride quality available? That's where the cheaper coilovers differ from the high end ones and I'd rather spend more money on a quality setup of coilovers then add more power to the car simply because your suspension is used ever moment your driving the car as opposed to going WOT that happens sporadically.

Of course, I also wanted a set that would provide equally impressive results on track. After going for a ride in Ryan Gates track Evo X and 311 RS I knew I had to have a set of JRZ's on my next car. Plus, I had talked to Bryan Hise of JRZ and the new JRZ RS1 is a perfect coilover setup for my application. It blends JRZ's race technology with street use in mind and the result is a single adjustable mono-tube damper that is comfortable enough for daily use but still delivers serious damping on the track.
Loved your Evo X build thread, and I see this one heading in the same direction Can't wait to see what's in the future for this!

Had a question though, I just picked up a X myself and was wondering; after having first hand experience with the Toda fightex coilovers in your Evo X, and riding in a X with JRZ's, and now running them on the VIII, what would you recommend for daily/occasional track use on a EvoX? Just thought you'd have a good idea of both rides. Thanks and the car is looking great
Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Coming along nicely.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by circuitEVO
Loved your Evo X build thread, and I see this one heading in the same direction Can't wait to see what's in the future for this!

Had a question though, I just picked up a X myself and was wondering; after having first hand experience with the Toda fightex coilovers in your Evo X, and riding in a X with JRZ's, and now running them on the VIII, what would you recommend for daily/occasional track use on a EvoX? Just thought you'd have a good idea of both rides. Thanks and the car is looking great
That's a hard comparison to make since both cars are very different. The fightex worked very well on the X and were also a good coilover on the street with plenty of compliance. However, I think if I had to pick I would say the JRZ's are a better choice because the VIII chassis is much less civilized then the X but with the JRZ it still feels very composed during daily driving. Its pretty much the ideal coilover for my application as I get good comfort on the street and awesome track performance out of it as well.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Great thread!!

I always hear people talk about whiteline pieces does it make that much of a difference daily driving?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Subscribed! Looks great so far, should look into a rexspeed VG to complete the exterior look :-D
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

WOW nice start to the build, Love it!!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:29 PM

This is beautiful. BUT! How the hell do you people in CA pass emissions?? I just moved to Santa Barbara and I can't get through. T_T
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:14 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Modding done right.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Trale.Lewous
This is beautiful. BUT! How the hell do you people in CA pass emissions?? I just moved to Santa Barbara and I can't get through. T_T
I have my stock cat on hand, swap it on and pass emissions. If you have cams you may be in for a tougher time.

s.e.a.n. - If you want to go fast around a track then having the Whiteline bits helps a ton. Even for a car that's really low it will improve ride quality quite a bit.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:57 AM

I have my stock cat on hand, swap it on and pass emissions. If you have cams you may be in for a tougher time.
Is that all you need? I have stock cams. My problem is that my drive cycle won't complete.

Quick Reply: Project Super VIII - My build thread