Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Tales of a stubborn Evo owner: Final (hopefully) Build Thread.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tales of a stubborn Evo owner: Final (hopefully) Build Thread.

For those of you that have been on the site for a while you have seen the "Evolution" of my Lancer ownership from the beginning until now.

For those of you that are fairly new here is a quick snapshot:

Bringing home my Evo that I bought that was not running (Previous owner couldn't figure it out and I got tired of waiting so I flatbedded it home, ended up being the Immobilizer code being incorrect).

Shortly after buying I started modding it of course:

He got screwed out of his SSL interior by an unscrupulous online seller so...........

Stoked to get my first set of wheels for the car and change the exterior some:

Bronze Rota Grids

JDM Rear

Rexpeed Goodness

On the stock 9 turbo I was tuned remotely by someone on one of the local Atlanta forums:

This is in its first generation

Another set of Rota's

The Original:

Ok up to this point I had done the following:
Kelford 272's (SuperTech springs and retainers), Greddy Ti-C, 1200 injectors, a few Defi Gauges and e85 tune and I believe it was putting down 390 and was a lot of fun.

I got a used BBK-Full turbo and retuned on E and put down 420 and was probably where i should've stopped on my car to be honest. My car was THE most fun at this stage.

Since I can't leave well enough alone I ended up jumping on the new HKS turbo set up and cams and while tuning the inevitable happened:

Put a huge hole in the block (front and rear). At this point I could've quit (Put a stock motor back in it and either sell or drive it) or I could use this as an excuse/opportunity to go big.

SO I decided..........

More details here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...me-coming.html
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

The end result of which is:

Through out this ordeal the car popped a head gasket because the crank pulley broke off (Wrong strength bolts), my carbonetics tripple was either installed wrong or assembled wrong and as a result commited suicide and too the trans mission with it, my shep refreshed transfercase also was inproperly filled so it died as well.

Basically I was a victim of a shop (whose owner I am good friends with) either not knowing about the subtle nuances of the Evo or just really bad attention to detail. Took my car to another shop I trusted to get my electronics installed and fix my transmission issues.

All this was happening while i was getting relocated to Raleigh, NC for my job.

Thought i was done. Seriously. There was nothing else I could do to the car.

UNTIL.

(I know the songs don't really go with the subject matter but the soundtrack of me swearing sounded stupid). I often wondered how people make videos of the craziest stuff happening. I don't know why I had the presence of mind to take my phone out and start recording but it just felt like the right thing to do. I was helpless to stop the car from burning so I figured I'd make myself useful. LOL.

Later we found out the fire started due to faulty wiring on the gauges. Ironically I was a little tired of the light show and I was going to drive back to Atlanta to swap my Sparco's out for OEM MR's again and get the gauges simplified.

So here I was with a burnt out husk of a car that appeared some stuff was salvageable (motor, turbo kit, suspension maybe, wheels, trunk and all the carbon fiber stuff). I had a choice again.

Cut my losses and get out of it (insurance adjuster looked me out and gave me the value of the car based on when the motor was last rebuilt). Then when I started going down that road I looked at my options. GTR was a little of my price range. I could've pulled the trigger but I didn't want a car note and I knew it would be financially difficult to modify it the way I'd like.

Then I started looking at the Lexus IS-F. I REALLY like this car. Not too much aftermarket stuff beyond, suspension, bolt ons and wheels. Perfect considering how much sweat equity I had in the Evo. I needed the break.

Enter Spec-Ops.

THis happened shortly after I moved up to Raleigh and they repaired some of the botched hacked job that was done on the car. After the car burned down I consulted with Spec-Ops and tried to hash out my best options for a fun car moving forward. I mean I literally just spent 17k+ getting the blue car the way I want and it was gone in 5 minutes.

After going over the situation with Matt (Who was VERY patient with me) and taking a few weeks to think about it (while I was waiting for the insurance company to get their investigation over) I decided to get back in the saddle one more time.

I figured I'd be able to reuse a lot of my old parts and offset the cost, all I needed to do was find a good car that maybe has a blown motor (At the time it was thought my motor was re-useable). Matt had a customer that had a motor that dropped a thrust washer and was looking to sell for a decent price.

Screw it, I'm all in. Call the guy tell him I have cash, we negotiate a price and then he calls me the next day and says he's thinking about keep it. I was annoyed but he asked me to give him a few days to mull it over (and he may have been starting a job soon that would give him the money to fix the car).

I call him back in a few days. He doesn't want to sell. DAMMIT. Now I've been bit by the Evo bug. AGAIN. So I start scouring the interwebs for an Evo with a blown motor. Find a guy on here selling a Evo with a blown motor and all sorts of goodies (After market turbo kit, AEM V1, Rota SVN's, etc), and its a SE so it has the MR seats with the red stitching. Call the guy, we negotiate a price, I drive up to VA to see the car. Look it over as best as I could but I didn't REALLY look it all the way over since i was so gung ho to get the damn thing. Give him cash, arrange for a car transporter to come get it from there, stop by my house to pick up my burnt husk off my driveway (INS finished up and I bought the car back and had it flat bedded to the house and put a car cover over it) and take both cars over to Spec-Ops.

Now this is where the fun begins.
We start finding stuff thats bad or not useable with the blue Evo (rust in the head due to whatever the firefights used and the car sitting in a scrap yard for a few weeks), the block took a lot more heat damage then they would've liked and they didn't feel comfortable re-using it. Internals in the block pretty much useless (1 of my custom Mahle pistons shows some sort of detonation or bad assembly damage and Mahle only sells pistons in a set, they won't replace just one). Only thing re-useable is the rods (ok save myself 700 bux there).

BUT

I essentially have to rebuild a whole new motor.
BUILD
ANOTHER
MOTOR
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to stop, I wanted to get out, but it was too late. 2 non running cars, one burnt to a crisp, the other with a blown motor, parts strewn between the 2. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. Ok.....Deep sigh.....lets push forward.

SO thats it on the blue car. They get to the black car and all I have to say is I would love to punch the previous owner in the effing throat because that car (as Matt put it) was an Abortion.

Engine Harness hacked up. Check
Botched Alarm Job install. Check
SOme Paint Issues I didn't catch because I'm a dumbass and I rushed to buy a car since I missed out on the last one. Check
Old *** GT40 Peak Boost Turbo Kit. Check
Transmission that was in questionable shape (because). Check
Transfercase that looked like the oil was never changed. Check
Tein springs on OEM struts. Check

This. Just. Keeps. Getting. Better.

Well...........Dammit. I wanted to stop AGAIN, but name me another car that can do what the Evo does, has the potential and can still seat 4 adults comfortably without costing an arm and a leg.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

Can't either hunh.....so I guess I'm forced to forge ahead.

So basically I'm starting from scratch, with a few parts i can sell from either car to help offset the cost. I wanted less power because of all the issues I had with the blue car so I wanted to sell my FF kit but the economy has some of y'all acting like vultures. It was hard to get a bite for a reasonable price. By the end of it I found one person but I decided to keep it and for his trouble I hooked him up with JDL and made sure he got a killer good price.

There was other things along the way but I'm too tired to get into it and this post is long enough. Suffice it to say Spec-Ops got me rolling again, but this finicky little b!tch has been fighting me every step of the way. After I got the car back the diffuser wasn't secured properly so it tried to commit hari kari and take my rear bumper along with it. Then later that night taking the family to dinner a fuel line had popped off. Josh from Spec-Ops was kind enough to come up on Sunday and help fix that issue and ghetto rigged up some braces to keep the diffuser on

Then the electrical issues started. When Driven Fab had my car to do my AC kit the battery died. After trying to revive it a few times I had it basically die on my while I was 30 miles from home. I did not want to tow the car for the 3rd time in 4 days so I drove home......15 miles away the power got so low there were NO lights on......Yeah I know irresponsible but I was pissed and I didn't care. Replaced the mini-battery with another one while I waited for Driven Fab to help with a battery relocation and the next day it was acting like it wanted to die again.

Had the car flatbedded to Turbo Time Raleigh and they found the alternator was missing the 4 bols that keep it together. Something we all missed. Replaced it. Everything seemed all good.......on the way home it started to die again...........THIS. HAS. GOT. TO. BE. A. JOKE. The tech that worked on the car happened to be passing buy on his way home........we found that the ground terminal on the battery was loose.....even though the nut was all the way tightened. Had to rig something up to make it fit tighter.....everything appeared good. P0011 code. Awesome. Replace one Cam sensor..... comes right back. I'll live with the SES light being on for now.

Then the battery light starts coming on randomly and flashing but goes away under acceleration. WTF. TurboTime figures out that its the plug to the alternator that is loose and not staying on securely. Also discover the oil return line from the original turbo kit is weeping oil. Also my JDM rear isn't sitting right (They took it off the blue car and had it resprayed) so I headed to down to Spec-Ops to try to tie up some of the loose ends.

The shop they use to do oil return lines is closed of course so they try to fix the old one. Fix the JDM rear. Its all gravy....Goddammit.......Oil leak is back and worse. Ok I'll have a oil return line made on Monday.

SO thats currently where I am. I love and hate this car all at the same time. It runs AWESOME. Mechanically its sound. Feels better then my blue car did, but in true Mitsubishi fashion I have all these little niggling problems that just drive me up the wall. Thanks to Spec-Ops making me love Evo's again its just more frustrating because I don't get to drive my car sometimes because of all these stupid little issues.

It actually did something like 625ish on Spec-Ops Dyno but this isn;t that plot. I'll see if I can harass Matt for the last one. This is conservative tune. There is more left but I wanted it to be as safe as possible. I'm still on stock IM and on an older odd ball turbo.

Yeah yeah I know its A Scooby but its my wife's car and its been solid and it looks awesome to me and its my build thread dammit, lol. If it wasn't for having this car I couldn't gotten back in bed wit the devil like I have.

Anyone that I run across with an Evo that is fairly stock and looking to mod I try to impart some wisdom on them. This is a sneaky car. Its so easy to make a lot of power and go overboard on it like I did with the blue car and before you know it you spent a crap ton of money and in a lot of cases a broken car.

If it all possible have one shop do ALL you modifications. Every shop does stuff differently. When those philosophies clash the customer in the end is the one with no money, broken car, empty promises and bad taste in their mouth.

There is no need for all the power this car can make reliably. Seriously. Maybe its just me getting older but I hate giving the government money from speeding tickets.

I feel like this is a young mans game and I'm just getting a little too old for it. I'm philosophically broken at this point. I may end up selling the car but for now I like and it feel like I deserve a break.......and hopefully after the car stopos fighting me I can say that. I'm tired and its no fun to constantly miss car related events because my car is broken. You get tired of explaining why your car is always at the shop, my neighbors stopped asking why my car shows up on a flatbed for what seems like ever week or 2.

I feel like Spec-ops has gotten off to a good start. They have been 100% class even in the face of my indecision, Me not ordering stuff, stuff going missing because i was trying to save money by doing some work on my own.

If it wasnt for them I'd be driving something my friends in Evo;s could embarrass me in.

Nate from MAP has bee nmy go to guy. If I need something he is always there.

Kevin C.
Kevin L.
Andy
Kari
Adam
Sonny
Jerrell

You guys helped talking down off the ledge when I needed it most. You listened to me *****, moan, complain and bleed my heart over the phone. I needed that. Thank you.

Wish me luck guys. I hope this one is a keeper. I've certainly had a long journey with this car. I hope I've finally beaten this thing.

Thanks for reading.

Specs (From what I can remember):

Spec-Ops 2.4LR
CBRE Head
GSC S3 cams (and req hardware)
Stock Ported intake manifold
FIC 2150;s
JDL FF 6265
Driven Fab AC kit
Koyo Radiator
Ohlin's COilovers
RotorPro's Rotors (TBI)
GiroDisc Magic Pads (TBI)
Volk SE-37K's (18X9.5 +35)
H&R 15MM Spacers
Rexpeed Carbon Fiber Front Lip.Side/Rear Extension, VA Diffuser)
Custom installed Zeitronix setup
Parrot Double DIN
E85 ECA

Thats all I can remember right now.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jun 17, 2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lost for words.....
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

Dude its been a journey......well its been more then that but I def. could've quit and I don't think anyone would've blamed me

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jun 17, 2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW, awesome job putting all the details and pictures to follow the whole story. Sorry to hear what happened with your old evo but I'm glad that you werent injured at all when it caught on fire. After all of that though it sucks to know that everything you put into it was ultimately just not worth it. I was following your old build thread since it first started and it sucked to keep seeing that you were running into problems even after it was built and tuned. Your threads have definitely helped me in my decisions on what direction I want to take my evo. I wish you nothing but luck with your new evo bro. God bless.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Ahhhhhh such a sad sad story but such is life in the Evo World eh?! I mean ever time you think that you're out... they pull you back in. For what it's worth I'm real glad you're still in the game boss. The forum just wouldn't be the same without your contributions bro!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:45 AM

Should have done a vlog. Lol good read. Want to see the real power. Not interested in conservative tunes with a bad *** build as yours.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:46 AM
Evolving Member

Smurf, the black car looks great, sry that you had had to build this one because of the crappy outcome of the last one. but congradulations for sticking with it and staying in the evo world.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ramonski
WOW, awesome job putting all the details and pictures to follow the whole story. Sorry to hear what happened with your old evo but I'm glad that you werent injured at all when it caught on fire. After all of that though it sucks to know that everything you put into it was ultimately just not worth it. I was following your old build thread since it first started and it sucked to keep seeing that you were running into problems even after it was built and tuned. Your threads have definitely helped me in my decisions on what direction I want to take my evo. I wish you nothing but luck with your new evo bro. God bless.
Thanks for the kind words. If my story can be a cautionary tale for others then I guess everything I went through wasn't for nothing.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tiggeryellow1
Ahhhhhh such a sad sad story but such is life in the Evo World eh?! I mean ever time you think that you're out... they pull you back in. For what it's worth I'm real glad you're still in the game boss. The forum just wouldn't be the same without your contributions bro!
Thanks. These forums sometimes make you feel like you are talking to yourself and no one is paying attention.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redridingboost
Should have done a vlog. Lol good read. Want to see the real power. Not interested in conservative tunes with a bad *** build as yours.
There will be time for that. Right now I want to be able to drive the car without being afraid something else small is going to go wrong. If I can get some trouble free days, weeks or even months then I'll consider stepping it up some.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerboy89
Smurf, the black car looks great, sry that you had had to build this one because of the crappy outcome of the last one. but congradulations for sticking with it and staying in the evo world.
Thanks. I was very close to leaving. LOL. Even now I wonder if I made the right decision. But when the car is running right and there is no issues I'm reminded of why I like the damn thing so much.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Thanks. I was very close to leaving. LOL. Even now I wonder if I made the right decision. But when the car is running right and there is no issues I'm reminded of why I like the damn thing so much.

EXACTLY ! I think people chase the feeling of having a fast car and dont realize how great it is just to have an evo that you can hop in at any time and drive anywhere without any problems. I love that feeling more than ANY adrenaline rush of being fast.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You have some patience my man wow!! I don't think I could have do what you did lol major props bro. Best of luck on the black one because you more then deserve it.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn, nice write-up sir! Black car looks good, hopefully you can work out some of the remaining minor bugs it has & get to enjoy it for a while!

Quick Reply: Tales of a stubborn Evo owner: Final (hopefully) Build Thread.