Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Sound deadening advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound deadening advice

I installed whiteline bushings in the diff and mustache bar and I get the expected whining noise at highway speeds. I don't mind it so much when driving by myself, but passengers are not a fan. Especially those sitting in the back. So I have been looking in to some sound deadening options for the trunk and rear seat area. I don't want to go overboard, but would like to invest some money to help alleviate the "unbearable" noise for passengers.

So I wanted to see if anyone on here has use sound deadening products and what their experience has been. Especially if someone has similar bushings in the rear and if the sound deadening helped the whine.

Thanks ahead of time!
Old Oct 21, 2013, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dynomat is a pretty popular sound deadner.

Peel n seal is popular in the 240 world for some reason. DON'T USE THAT!!! complete junk IMO.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dynomat seems to be very popular these days, and definitely gets the job done.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/

All the info you will ever need. Dynomat is decent, but SDS has better stuff and you can accomplish what you want with less weight.

Keep in mind you will not get rid of a ton of road noise, that's not what sound deadening like this is meant for
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. Dynamat seems to be a bit on the expensive side. I've heard positive results from this as well, but I'm not looking to make the cabin sound proof. Just looking to make the whining noise tolerable to my passengers. I'm also hoping to get this done for around $100.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

You're not going to do this on the cheap and have it good. These cars were not meant to be quiet road-goers, if you want that you'll have to pay to get it. To deaden that noise well you'll probably have to deaden the whole trunk and also much of the back seat base area (on top of the fuel tank) which is going to be closer to $500 after all is said and done
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Again, I'm not looking for the quitest evo. I expect road noise and exhaust noise. All I'm trying to do is provide some minimal layer of sound deadening to QUIET the whine coming from the drivetrain.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have some experience sound deadening cars for stereo use. for the cost nothing comes close to jute padding. its the 1/2 inch thick carpet underpadding. its like a thick cloth padding. and its cheap. put a layer under carpet, in the doors, and under/behind back seat. makes for a much quieter ride. not super heavy either.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Came accross this on a search. I used RaaMatt and Ensolite in my Tacoma and it works excellent but is heavy. I think I added 100-150 lbs to my truck but I definitely was thorough and went overboard. The Ensolite weighs almost nothing but the RaaMatt, which is what actually dampens the resonance in the "tin" panels is heavy, that's why it works. Email The guy who owns RaamMat and he will tell you exactly how to get the best results with minimal weight. He actually talked me down to a smaller order of material and told me exactly where I had to put it since he had an award winning competition Tacoma. He is also a racer who is familiar with Evos and will tell you where your car needs it most.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 03:31 AM
Evolving Member

Perfect timing. I'm also interested in this. Similar situation here with bushings in rear. Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, keep em coming.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Excellent read

http://cascadeaudio.com/blog/treating_road_noise.htm
Old Dec 3, 2013, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

RaamMat, Dynamat, that stuff linked above.

None of it is sound deadening material. It's all vibration dampening material.

Vibration dampening material may reduce noise, but it's not going to absorb it like MLV would, and you're going to have to use a ton of it to get decent results.

If you want to do it right the first time, start reading at www.sounddeadenershowdown.com and then decide what to buy from there. Ensolite is a decoupler that is meant to keep vibrating surfaces from touching each other; it does not absorb any decent amount of sound
Old Dec 3, 2013, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
RaamMat, Dynamat, that stuff linked above.

None of it is sound deadening material. It's all vibration dampening material.

Vibration dampening material may reduce noise, but it's not going to absorb it like MLV would, and you're going to have to use a ton of it to get decent results.

If you want to do it right the first time, start reading at www.sounddeadenershowdown.com and then decide what to buy from there. Ensolite is a decoupler that is meant to keep vibrating surfaces from touching each other; it does not absorb any decent amount of sound
The link I posted above is not only vibration dampening material....
As found on the same site I posted... lots of great, useful information.

How do I choose the right product?
When trying to reduce or eliminate various types of automotive noise, it is often necessary to utilize a variety of specialized noise control materials. Cascade Audio Engineering offers a wide variety of these products to help you achieve a quieter and more comfortable passenger compartment regardless of what you drive.
There are several types of sound control porducts and they can be broken down into these categories...
1)Vibration Dampers are used to eliminate or reduce structural resonance and vibration. Vibration dampers are not designed to block sound.
2)Sound Barriers are used to block and reflect high energy airborne sound like road noise in the form of exhaust, airflow, drivetrain and tire noise.
3)Sound Absorbers are primarily used to soak up mid band and high frequency airborne sound and reflect thermal energy. Absorbers are typically very lightweight and do not damp vibration.
4)Gasketing Materials are used to eliminate squeaks, rattles and buzzes and to seal speakers.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by foxbear2277
That was a great read. Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

SB-DFB-20R
Closed Cell Foam w/ Vinyl Barrier

I missed that part. The piece linked above would be the best thing they offer for noise reduction. the disadvantage is that the two are coupled together and can't be separated (all areas might not fit MLV but still need closed cell foam for vibration absorption between two pieces

Quick Reply: Sound deadening advice