Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Single guage pods

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single guage pods

Does anyone know of a guage pod that mounts on the right side of the steering column?

I'm looking to buy a boost guage (that's all I need I think) and mount it on the fuel/temp/etc. display side of the steering column...rather than have it block the speedometer.

Also, I'm very new to guages of any kind...but I hear Defi is good. Rather than get a control unit and expensive (but very accurate) electric guage, I'd rather invest in a mechanical one. Does anyone have any experience with a mechanical guage? Please educate me. Maybe Defi isn't the brand of choice regarding mechanical boost guages?

Tell me everything you know Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2004, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the looks

I've discovered that Autometer makes plastic or carbon single guage pods...thanks to Biowunder @ AMS!

I'd still like to know other people's experiences with using/installing a mechanical boost guage from Defi, or any other brand that makes a quality guage.

And if someone could clear up the mechanical vs. electric guage issues that'd be cool too.

Loving my new Evo!
Old Apr 5, 2004, 01:38 AM

Depending on the gauge you get, some even come with mounting brackets. I have an Apex-i mechanical boost gauge and it came with one, I mounted it on top of my steering column aswell. GReddy and other gauges sell mounting brackets where you can put them anywhere you want too.

As for mechanical vs electric, they both do the same job. The diffrence is mechanical you have to run a vacume line from the back of the gauge to the engine, an electrical you install a sensor, and run wires from the sensor to the gauge. The only thing you have to be careful about with a mechanical boost gauge is make sure the vacume line isn't pinched somewhere or you'll get an inaccurate reading.

Heres some pics of my Apex-i boost gauge mounted on the steering column (sorry its not an EVO )
http://a3.cpimg.com/image/5B/D1/2017...-025801C2-.jpg
http://a7.cpimg.com/image/5F/D1/2017...-025801C2-.jpg
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lithe
Thanks for the looks

I've discovered that Autometer makes plastic or carbon single guage pods...thanks to Biowunder @ AMS!

I'd still like to know other people's experiences with using/installing a mechanical boost guage from Defi, or any other brand that makes a quality guage.

And if someone could clear up the mechanical vs. electric guage issues that'd be cool too.

Loving my new Evo!
I have a autometer single and it works great
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for posting. Nice car! Your guage looks huge too, or is that just me? What size is it? 60mm?

Defi isn't written in stone for me...I take it you've had good luck with the A'pexi stuff? Any advice on where to get it or who to work with? I'd need everything-guage, vacume line, pod, mounting parts. I'm itching to get this done...my car is barely broken in and I want to make sure everything is working right before I start changing stuff.

A friend of mine is getting a WRX wagon (hot, I think) soon and I'm so pissed that Subaru offers what looks to be like a decent boost guage...I may be wrong though. We drove a WRX wagon and sat in an STI too...very nice, and so was our salesperson...but I was dying to tell him about my new Evo. I held off though, it was my friend's time, not mine Subarus are sweet though I think.

Again, thanks for your help. Your car lights up like "Closer Encounters of the Third Kind" at night! Cool.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Where'd you get your Autometer single pod? What guage did you go with and how has it been working for you? Mechanical or electric?

Gimme a number to call...I'm sittin here with my credit card ready to go

Thanks!