Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

McCance208's Tarmac Black Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McCance208's Tarmac Black Evo 8

Hello all! A few weeks back I introduced myself to some while beginning the hunt for my Evo 8! As I touched on in my other thread I am coming from a 3G Eclipse I owned for 4 years. If interested, you can check that out through my personal Club 3G Thread I had a lot of fun with that car, and really gained a lot of respect with it through my years of working with it. But I'm ready to take this on as a huge step. After doing a good amount of research and checking through various threads here full of information, I knew I was very dedicated to a tarmac black GSR/SSL model. After more work, research, and plenty of paperwrok to sign I can now confidently say I will be picking my 2003 Evo 8 GSR in the next few days! I am beyond excited to have begun this venture, and part of me still can't belive I've done it. This is a big step for me and I'm glad to have done it. So, without much more rambling on here are the current specs on it!
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII GSR
97,xxx miles
AMS 3" Turboback Exhaust
Bilstein Suspension
ETS 3" Intercooler
Injen Intercooler Piping
Injen Air Intake
Greddy Boost Controller
Greddy Turbo Timer
Tein H-Tech Lowering Springs
HID Headlights
Carbon Fiber Lip Spoiler
Carbon Fiber Front Lip
AMS Shift Knob
Street Tune

I fell in love with the car the moment I spotted it in the showroom and hit the road with it. Clean CARFAX, shows 2 previous owners and appears very well maintained. This will be a whole new project world for me, coming from a 3G platform. Here's to the memories this will bring me

-Dylan

Last edited by McCance208; Aug 29, 2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
nice stuff brother well done, pull those nice unmarked OEM rims and get yourself some 17X9s and get out there and do yourself proud
Old Aug 30, 2017, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Congrats Dylan, car looks clean and tastefully modified so far. You're going to love it!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
looking good
Old Aug 30, 2017, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Is that the original paint?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
nice stuff brother well done, pull those nice unmarked OEM rims and get yourself some 17X9s and get out there and do yourself proud
Thank you! And you got it! Once I'm certain the car is well maintained and doesn't need anything else I was planning on sticking to the basics. A nice dark window tint and I've really been set on the Volk style wheels with the thicker spokes. Definitely willing to pay the price for the quality. Then in time get into the heavier mods. I'm wanting to keep it clean for sure. Loved the work on my 3G, but looking back wished I would have kept it simpler. Don't want to ruin the Evo by being overbearing!

Originally Posted by six40
Congrats Dylan, car looks clean and tastefully modified so far. You're going to love it!
Thanks! I've enjoyed the few minute drive I had with it through the test drive so I'm sure my time with it will be more than worth it!!

Originally Posted by Eric SlowEvo8
looking good
Thank you!

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Is that the original paint?
I believe so. Nothing popped out at me to show otherwise!

Last edited by McCance208; Aug 31, 2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Congrats on the new car. Some blacked out headlights would look great too.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 07:53 PM

looks great
Old Sep 10, 2017, 06:00 PM

Well just over a week with the car and its been amazing. Clutch should be well broken in, with just over 1,000 miles on it almost all city driving. So I've been able to be more spirited with driving it and its an incredible machine. Right now I am experiencing one issue. It seems to be some sort of fuel cut or tune issue. Under boost around 3500 rpm it jumps/pauses for a second and gets back into it. Does it in most gears. However, today I was toying with the Greddy controller in the car and changed the setting from "hi" to "lo" so instead of pushing up to 22/24lbs of boost it runs 19/20lbs and that seemed to help a lot, if not completly. I havent had much drive time since but I will keep you posted. I wonder if when its trying to push to that 22/24lb mark if the oem fuel pump/injectors arent able to keep up, which seems to be common. That or a flaw in the street tune? Other than that the car has been flawless and has drawn a lot of attention locally in town and at a few of the shows/meets Ive been to!

Old Sep 21, 2017, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car looks good, congrats. Looks like it might be time to reupholster those front seats though.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 04:40 PM

The car looks good! May I ask which dealership you got it from? I'm looking for another evo and not having much luck. Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 06:41 PM

Very nice
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by ODUB
Car looks good, congrats. Looks like it might be time to reupholster those front seats though.
Thank you! Front seats, especially passenger, could use a deep clean. And I did find a slight tear in the crease of the bucket while cleaning the other day. Want to fix that before it becomes major.

Originally Posted by FFFRESH
The car looks good! May I ask which dealership you got it from? I'm looking for another evo and not having much luck. Thanks.
Thank you as well! I purchased mine from Exclusive Auto Exchange near Chicago Illinois. Theybe got a great lineup and were very well to deal with in my opinion. If I was back in the market I would go right to them again! Here is their curernt lineup or Evos!

Originally Posted by jlcann1
Very nice
Thanks!

For an update; not too much new going on. Simply been enjoying the car! New drivers side inner/outer tie rod being replaced. Appointment this thursday for the 5% tint, and if I feel anxious maybe a new set of wheels. Definitley digging the Rota Grids. Can't decide between the 17"s or 18"s. Of course I fell in love with Volks...but I cannot justify almost $4k on wheels. Thats just me. Other than that, traced down a few JDM bumpers, maybe a carbon hood vent/louver, and looking into some black tailight housings. And pretty set on a double din radio. Along with that, the fun stuff. Through winter Ill be working to shoot for ~400whp by summer.

Last edited by McCance208; Sep 30, 2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts
Very nice looks gem mint
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:24 PM

Quick update for anyone interested!
The Evo has been parked for a little over a month now since the salt hit the roads here in Northwest Ohio. I did start to get a few things in line as to how I want my car to perform come summer. I am planning on working with Slowmotion Motorsports in the Columbus area. I spoke with them about what I would need to get me at 400whp partwise and with their tune in my budget. Theyve recomended these parts;
-Arashi 25g Turbo
-ARP 625 Headstuds
-Injector Dynamics 1050cc Injectors
-Walbro 255
They will then complete the tune after parts are installed and convert the car to Speed Density. If possible by early spring, I would like to get my hands on a decent manifold (thinking the STM style) and maybe a good set of cams to help those numbers. I considered running e85, however the nearest station here is 30 minutes away so thats fairly inconvienent for me. So this setup will be sticking with pump gas. Any criticism or suggestions are welcome as I start this journey!

Last edited by McCance208; Dec 30, 2017 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: McCance208's Tarmac Black Evo 8