Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Just used Meguiar's NXT wash & wax

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2004, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just used Meguiar's NXT wash & wax

I have not had a lot of experience waxing cars in the past. I usually haven't bothered. But I am in love with the Evo, and want to baby it.

On Saturday I washed in Dawn, the claybar, then washed with the NXT wash, then waxed with NXT wax. I was not super impressed with the shine right off the bat. I mean, don't get wrong, it looked nice, but after spending 4 hours washing the car I was expecting a lot. The color really didn't look different to me. It was pretty shiny, but certain areas did not look good no matter how much I tried to buff them. Maybe another coat of wax would help.

Then last night my car was parked outside when it rained. The water beaded up on it, and when it dried left the car covered in wax blotches. Is this typical of all car waxes? Did I do something wrong? I don't know if I'm going to keep waxing the car if it look worse if it is rained on...
Old Apr 6, 2004, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

if certain parts look dull... you may need to get it polished as your clearcoat dulled out..... possibly you dont wax your car often enough and/or you got some major swirl marks...
Old Apr 6, 2004, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have found great succes with Mothers products. I too wash, then clay bar the car. Then the Cleaner wax. Next is the Polish, then finish with the pure carnuba wax. Takes all day to do it all by hand, but the results are amazing.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So would you say it's not much better than Meguiar's Gold class? I was thinking of getting Zaino until this came out; some people said it was just as good as Zaino. But lately many have said it's not really as impressive as Zaino is. Would you recomend Zaino instead?
Old Apr 6, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Used to use Meguiars wax. Zaino is a polish that cures and lasts for months. It takes a whole day to put many coats on, but there is no comparison. They have a z6 spray used for touch ups between washes and in between coats of the polish. That stuff has antistatic properties which really keeps your car dust free.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

I recommend IBIZ Wash and Wax
Old Apr 6, 2004, 08:48 AM

I have not used Zaino. But I am going to try it next based on the constant recommendations. I was hoping that this NXT would be good enough because it is a lot cheaper than Zaino. I don't think it is anything special though.

But my main question is, do all waxes get messy if rained on?
Old Apr 6, 2004, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know why you use the clay bar on the Evo. I know it comes with the kit but the clay bar is used only when you start getting those wax build up by polishing and waxing your car so often. You only use the clay bar when you can't get a shine anymore because of that build up. This coming from several body shop that I asked about. They said the clay bar a is abrasive and that's why you use it to get rid of the build up, other than that, you are just putting scratches on the car, especially on dark color car. Also they said use alot of water when using the clay bar. Oh ya BTW most of them recommend Zaino.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jomagi
I have not used Zaino. But I am going to try it next based on the constant recommendations. I was hoping that this NXT would be good enough because it is a lot cheaper than Zaino. I don't think it is anything special though.

But my main question is, do all waxes get messy if rained on?
I love my IBIZ car wax... you can use the wax and pour some on the windows and clean it, you can even use it to clean your glasses, but most of all it has the fresh banana smell and will not mess up in the rain... u WILL love this wax, which is the wax of the corvette club of america
Old Apr 6, 2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by ex-honda
I don't know why you use the clay bar on the Evo.
I had lots of road tar on the sides of my car that didn't come off even after washing in Dawn. There was also some kind of stain that the clay bar got rid of.

The Meguiar's clay bar comes with a spray to use with the clay bar and it works very well for keeping it lubed up.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

check this article out: http://www.superstallions.com/tech/ibiz/ibiz.html

buy it here: http://www.kandcdistribution.com/home.htm
Old Apr 6, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ex-honda
I don't know why you use the clay bar on the Evo. I know it comes with the kit but the clay bar is used only when you start getting those wax build up by polishing and waxing your car so often. You only use the clay bar when you can't get a shine anymore because of that build up. This coming from several body shop that I asked about. They said the clay bar a is abrasive and that's why you use it to get rid of the build up, other than that, you are just putting scratches on the car, especially on dark color car. Also they said use alot of water when using the clay bar. Oh ya BTW most of them recommend Zaino.
UM not completely true. You use the clay bar to get rid of an "inperfections" in the paint. IE caked on bugs, bird dropping stains etc... Matter of fact if you car was transported by train or truck you probably have "rail dust" and the only way to get rid of it is by using a clay bar.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

i've been clay barring my car, and using meguire's cleaner wax and carnuba wax for the last year (3 step process...1.clay bar. 2. cleaner wax. 3. carnuba wax). i dont know how it compares with zaino, but i've been more than happy with the outcome. super smooth paint, silky looking finish, and like the evo, the wrx paint generally sux.
but i dont know who uses water with a clay bar, but the clay bar kits i use come with some kind of liquid lubricant instead of water. i only use it when there's oxidation or some kind of sap on the car. basically what badevo said.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

**** the clay bar i just used the new NXT wax,and it ****in rocks .best was i've used so far
Old Apr 6, 2004, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

to tell u the truth.. i think they all are going to work pretty good.. as long as u do it right.

after a long winter (like we just had in chicago) or whatever.. it's necessary to really get all the contaminants off the paint before starting to wax.. i did it by washing with dawn dish soap a few times, as well as using a cleaner wax.. i didnt have to use a clay bar this time.. basically when you put your hand over the paint surface and it feels super slick and smooth, you're done with the cleaning.. now it's time for the polish/sealer and then the carnuba wax to lock the polish and shine in..

oh, and both with the cleaner wax (i use zymol cleaner wax.. the cheap 12 dollar one from any local target.. not the expensive zymol system from germany.. which is very similar to zaino, btw) the polish/sealer, as well as with the carnuba wax, i always use an electric polisher... cus i could never get it done without swirls by hand.. i just couldn't!...

for the sealer/polisher and the carnuba wax i use mothers..

they key is to do it right from the beginning, i think... otherwise you might as well start all over again..

oh, and the best and most glossy looking detailer spray i have found is eagle one wet look.. it's pretty amazing!

----

but who knows.. maybe some day i will feel so rich that i'll feel the need to plunk down over a hundred bux on a zaino, ibiz or zymol system..

Last edited by RENN-ART; Apr 6, 2004 at 08:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Just used Meguiar's NXT wash & wax