Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Spherical/pillowball bushing for front LCA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Huh, yeah, I'm not sure what they are getting at then at all if they are using steel/stainless on the outer bushing.

A steel bushing might be stiff enough overall that none of it really matters on the fit. It simply deforms the arm around the bushing and maintains bearing clearances?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 07:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Huh, yeah, I'm not sure what they are getting at then at all if they are using steel/stainless on the outer bushing.

A steel bushing might be stiff enough overall that none of it really matters on the fit. It simply deforms the arm around the bushing and maintains bearing clearances?
Deforms the arm, and/or extrude the bore as you press it in. I like your idea of tapering the ID, and notching the OD where the bearing sits.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Its been a while but i just pressed a set of hardrace bushings into the LCA. Hardrace advertises it as an evo 9 bushing but the evo 10 bushing is the same. The spherical is in an anodized aluminum sleeve. The sleeve is exactly .0005 Over the ID of the arm. It required a little bit more force to press in than the OEM bushing, likely due to the increased friction of aluminum vs aluminum.

Looking at the hardrace rear LCA bushing, but i found some marketing materials saying there's some sort of plastic in the bushing.... i hate japanese translations for this reason.... i'm not buying a bushing with plastic in it.
Old May 30, 2017, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just got the Robispec units. Nice firm press fit into the front LCA's. His housings are aluminum.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jim,
You just installed the front, front LCA bushing (forward facing)?
How is the motion of the bushing once installed?
What was the cost, and did you order recently? I was under the impression Robi wasn't in the business anymore.

Thanks

Originally Posted by JDavenport
I just got the Robispec units. Nice firm press fit into the front LCA's. His housings are aluminum.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So has anyone tried these?

Love to get feedback on how they feel with an offset rear front LCA bushing binding the crap out of the stock rubber bush.

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
This looks spherical? But the price seems low...

http://www.buyhardrace.com/product/h...ii-ix_135.html
Old Jun 1, 2017, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimpoc
Jim,
You just installed the front, front LCA bushing (forward facing)?
How is the motion of the bushing once installed?
What was the cost, and did you order recently? I was under the impression Robi wasn't in the business anymore.

Thanks
I got the full set, front LCA's and all rear from him, so don't know just the front LCA cost.

Motion is pretty smooth, no binding. I've got the Perrin PSRS with offset and the arm moves very smoothly now (vs the Whiteline LCA PolyU bushing that was in a constant bind due to the PSRS-Offset).

I just got all my stuff 2 weeks ago, Robi is alive and well. You can reach him at evo4fun@gmail.com. He was very helpful, responsive and informative.

BTW: If you do the rears, plan on a few hours with a good hydraulic press getting all them bushings pressed in and out.
The following users liked this post:
dr_latino999 (Jun 2, 2017)
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I was under the impression they might not work due to the offset.... I installed the arm and it bolts up perfectly!!!! It seems the extra degrees of freedom from the spherical really clean up the mess with the stock bushings. I should have done this YEARS AGO!!!!!!