Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Shimmy in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shimmy in steering wheel

i just mounted and balanced a set of hankook rs4s and have a shimmy in the steering wheel. I inspected my suspension components and can't find a single problem. The weird thing is it happens on slightly rough roadways and goes away on freshly paved roadways. Other times it's shaking on fresh roadways

Im not sure what to make of the problem and though it's only a small shake, it still doesn't sit right with me. Here's a small run down of what I did this past week down below. I rechecked the balance two days after mounting the wheel and everything balanced just find. Tire pressure is set and I still need a alignment. This week I will be installing the whiteline rck(ball joints and outer tie rod ends)

-centric high carbon rotors front and rear
-fedoro ds250 front and rear
-mounted and balances hankook rs4
Old May 27, 2017, 05:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Did you do a spin wheel balance vs the old school bubble balance? Maybe a slightly bent wheel up front?

Tires do not have any irregular wear?

Tie rods torqued correctly? Doing an alignment is usually not a fix for vibration

Just thinking out loud! GL
Old May 27, 2017, 07:06 AM

Tires are brand new and I used a spin balance(latest hunter machine. A bent wheel never crossed my mind but sounds like a good idea. I will rotate the tires and take it for a drive today
Old May 27, 2017, 07:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by jwalleg
. I will rotate the tires and take it for a drive today
You have to spin it pretty fast to see any shimmy. You can always put the EvO on jack stands & run the engine in 1st gear (wheels off the ground)
Old May 27, 2017, 08:35 AM

Yes and when on the balancer you can do a free spin. I didn't notice anything then but I'm going to rotate the front wheels to the rear and see what happens
Old May 27, 2017, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Both of my front wheels slightly out of balance. When the heavy spots are out of phase (180 degrees apart) there is no steering wheel vibration. Apparently the wheels are exactly the same diameter. On a straight road I can drive for miles with no vibration. Then after a curve the vibration returns.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 07:50 PM

Okay my car now has whiteline rck(my choice)and there was no play in my original ball joints/tie rods. I went to the premier shop that works on the likes of Porsche,Alfa,and other high end vehicles for my alignment. I had them go ahead and rebalance my wheels which they said needed weight(time for hunter rep to come out and check my works machine). On the long drive home the evo behaved but when almost home going 65 the car had the shimmy again.

I did not notice any signs of bends when I spun the wheels on the balancer. I'm at a lost right now and any help is appreciated. I hope to find someone local so I can test a different set of wheels

Side note.....does anyone know how to quiet down ds2500s? They are obnoxiously loud in stop and go traffic
Old Jun 2, 2017, 07:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Just curious what wheels are you running (front spacers?)
Old Jun 2, 2017, 07:17 AM

Just the evo 8/9 BBS
Old Jun 4, 2017, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I once had a set of Goodyear snow tires that defied being balanced. I think any tire can be balanced provided the right equipment and enough attention is used. I suspect tires that are hard to balance have a heavy spot to the inside or outside of the tread. Once the Goodyears were gone (some hack at a tire store split the sidewall of one of these nearly new tires during installation) the next set had perfect balance.

I've purchased several sets of tires on rims from Tire Rack and never was there a hint of imbalance on these. I wonder what they use for equipment. They know their business.