Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

looking for some suspension advice...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
looking for some suspension advice...

Hello all,

I have been wanting to do some suspension upgrades to my IX RS. I currently have Bilstein HD's with GT Worx springs. The springs have about 50k miles on them so I would think the setup needs to be refreshed. All my bushings are currently stock.

I am looking at purchasing a set of FA500 with swift springs probably 8K all around. I also have the Energy suspension bushing kit sitting in my garage. Now I'm not entirely sure if I should install the front LCA rear bushing that comes with this kit due to mix reviews. I may look at the Super Pro Duroball kit or similar.

I'm also looking at a roll center kit. Whiteline or Super Pro want something durable.

I'm also thinking to stay with the stock sway bars but upgrade the bushings since I have them already. I would like to do custom end links as shown here: http://www.cs.unm.edu/~donour/cars/evo_endlinks/. I like that they have ball joint ends.

I want a good setup for street and track. I like to do track days whenever possible and I don't really daily my car but it may see some more daily time soon. I haven't done autoX and not sure if I will. not looking to be a Pro as I just do it for the fun of it and I am not looking at using R comp tires.

So what I am currently looking at getting,

1. Fortune Auto 500 w/ swift springs (8k/8k)
2. Install the ES bushings and maybe a different rear bushing
3. custom end links
4. Roll center kit

So what do you guys think? Overall I want a stable car that can handle great but not be uncomfortable in the streets.

any info would be appreciated!

thanks
Old Apr 27, 2017, 07:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I think you are in the "kill zone" which much of what you listed. I too am running the FA's (510's 10K/12K Swifts w/the radial bearing kit)

I run the WL bushing kit along w/the roll center kit & all the other bits

I think youre OK w/the 8K/8K for street use. I would want to get Terry at FA to review what youre looking for & consider his prescription
Old Apr 27, 2017, 09:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
I think you are in the "kill zone" which much of what you listed. I too am running the FA's (510's 10K/12K Swifts w/the radial bearing kit)

I think youre OK w/the 8K/8K for street use. I would want to get Terry at FA to review what youre looking for & consider his prescription
What are you spending on the FA's? Ohlins can be had for a little over $2k, and they are a far superior damper.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

I spoke with Terry a while ago and he suggested 8k all around. I'll call him again and give him the new list of items I'm looking at.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
What are you spending on the FA's? Ohlins can be had for a little over $2k, and they are a far superior damper.
I know Ohlins are the top notch setup but I was looking at the initial price and rebuild capabilities which stays in the states. Unless I'm unaware of Ohlins being rebuilt stateside?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 06:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hi Sean

If you compare prices on MAP, the diff in price between the O's & the FA's is $1100.00
Old Apr 28, 2017, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
'Love my FAs!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Hi Sean

If you compare prices on MAP, the diff in price between the O's & the FA's is $1100.00
I've seen that and I believe those are for the gen 5 coilovers. I priced them out through STM and the Gen 6 with the swift springs and radial bearings are 1605
Old May 3, 2017, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
I spoke with Terry a while ago and he suggested 8k all around. I'll call him again and give him the new list of items I'm looking at.

I know Ohlins are the top notch setup but I was looking at the initial price and rebuild capabilities which stays in the states. Unless I'm unaware of Ohlins being rebuilt stateside?
www.performanceshock.com

They are full service for ohlins. They even take Ohlins race dampers and make suspension kits for cars. Give them a call for best price. If you want to change springs (which you should), they revalve for free with the initial purchase. Don't be afraid to spend more for a better setup.
Old May 3, 2017, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

www.performanceshock.com

They are full service for ohlins. They even take Ohlins race dampers and make suspension kits for cars. Give them a call for best price. If you want to change springs (which you should), they revalve for free with the initial purchase. Don't be afraid to spend more for a better setup.
Thanks I'll call them and see what they recommend
Old May 3, 2017, 01:19 PM
EvoM Guru

They come standard with 10k front/8k rear springs. I would keep the 10k front, and put a 650lb spring on the rear (PSI sells eibach springs, they measure in lbs/in), have PSI revalve the rears, and you'll be golden. For a car that rotates a little more, you can do a 700lb rear spring, which is what I went with. My car rides great on the street.