Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Coilover for the money - Hipermax II or Zeal Function X

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Coilover for the money - Hipermax II or Zeal Function X

Hey Guys,

I have a question for all of you suspension guru's - I'm trying to do my homework to determine the best set of coilovers for my needs. My research on these forums has led me to the Zeal/WORKS Function X and the HKS Hipermax II coilover setups.

I haven't gotten into road racing (yet) but I would like my setup to deliver superior handling to the already incredible handling of my stock evo without sacrificing ride comfort; a durable design that will last and is easily serviceable; and easy adjustability for street/road-racing. FWIW, I will be pairing my coilovers with Cusco front/rear sway bars, Cusco Type I/II Braces, and 18" x 9.5" CE28N's.

I have heard rumors that coil-overs hurt the cornering ability of our cars. Is this true?
Old Jan 31, 2005, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Coilovers

Hi, I have experience with the HKS Hypermax II and the Cusco R2 I believe is the name. It is the top of the line Cusco coilover set. I hve not tracked the cusco yet but the HKS helps handling as the car is lowered by 1-1.5 inches and does handle better. The HKS car is a daily driver and when the temps get below about 35 the ride, even on the softed setting sucks. In contrast the Cusco car does not ride badly at all in cold weather. Some person on a long thread descrided the HKS ride in the winter in cold weather as being a po go stick type of ride. I will be tracking the Cusco car in April so I should know more then but from what I can tell on the street I would not get the HKS if it was to be a daily driver where temps are 35 or below.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

thats interesting.

i never stopped to think that the climate would affect the response of the coil-over.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:52 AM

i run zeals. and by no means do they hinder handling. if anything they help handling. Track guys are starting to open their eyes to endless and zeal and their capabilities as well as track support state side.
also i've noticed that the zeals ride firm but soft. No crazy pogo style as coilovers are normally associated with.