Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

License Plate Blocking Brake Cooling

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
License Plate Blocking Brake Cooling

Hey guys,
I just purchased my 2005 tarmac black evo and got 0% financing. I love the car and it handles remarkably. My one question is: My front license plate holder seems to block the left sides cooling inlet. It seems to cover the two largest holes behind it. I was wondering if this could effect my brake cooling and engine cooling significantly, and if so is there another area to place my plate legally. I live in NJ so the front plate is a must. All help and info is greatly appreciated

thank you
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the right side has a duct for the oil cooler, the brake cooling guides live below the bumper. I forsee no problems for you.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Don't worry about it.......unlike the right side it has cooling inlet for the oil cooler, there's no inlet on the left side opening. For brake cooling duct....you need to buy an addition parts from the factory and do a mod on your front under tray.

http://www.mitsubishipartsstore.com/...56c0372063630c
Old Sep 8, 2005, 09:35 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

Brake cooling isn't a problem on the street. On a road course it becomes a problem if there's lots of heavy breaking even with upgraded pads.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

your brake cooling ducts are more directed by your undertray...stick your head under and look, you'll see 2 channels directed at the back-side of the brakes...and like what was said, you can buy special brake cooling guides from Mitsubishi for added cooling effects.

your left duct also has very little effects on engine compartment cooling. The majority of that function is for the middle part of the front grill which, while moving, will force the warm compartment air out of your hood vent. Engine and radiator cooling-wise, the car is very well designed.

Last edited by mdosu; Sep 9, 2005 at 03:59 AM.