Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Never Buy Hawk Brake Pads!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha Ha Ha, yes the Hawk pads squeal like a MF!!!! I have the HP+ pads and they were rediculessly loud. Just keep bedding them in, maybe like once a week untill the pads wear down a little. They'll still make noise, just not crazy loud ear peircing 18 wheeler squealing loud.

I've had mine on for about 6 months now they still make noise but it's barely noticeable now, for the most part. But now it's time for new rotors 'cause these pads have dug some serious grooves into them.

Good luck with the pads just keep bedding them in. They'll get quieter eventually. Besides $400+ is alot to just throw away.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Hawk HPS pads and the only time they squel is if I've been braking HARD. Daily driving they make absolutely no noise.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
I have the Hawk HPS pads and the only time they squel is if I've been braking HARD. Daily driving they make absolutely no noise.

2nd that.... after about another 30 min of hardish driving after the squeling starts i start losing braking power

how bout you? im taking about street use.... im sure on a track they would last 10-20 min be4 theyre toast
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

I don't mean this in any mean way but, if you have a stage 5 racing kit on your car...don't you think you'd know how to change your own brakes?!?! It really isn't that difficult... Oh well just kinda wondering about that.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:59 AM
Evolving Member

I don't have hawks, but what your describing is an install issue not an issue with the pads.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

I have the hawk hps on my car and they only make noise the last few feet when coming to a stop. I have the racing brake 2 piece rotors on my car also.

These pads are going to make "some" noise, but for the most part they shouldn't make noise all the time.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 04:25 AM
Evolving Member

i've had hawks for a while too no noise unless i've been driving pretty hard and it's not even that bad...

i agree sounds like an installation issue...did you say the removed the caliper? im assuming this was to resurface the rotors otherwise there was no need to remove them.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

I have the HPS+ on my car and the only time I hear anything is when im on the drag strip and I apply the brakes quite hard.

Just a few questions. Why did Mitsu take the calipers off? They don't need to be taken off of the car to install brake pads unless you did rotors at the same time and this will be the reason that you are having brake noise issues. Sounds to me that it's another case of Mitsu techs don't know dick.

I also have to agree with Havok23.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

I have the Hawks on my car for 60K miles, and they DON'T squak/squeal, or moan. they are quiet!! I don't know, maybe I got a good set. sorry to hear about that. there are different types of Hawk pads, maybe I got a different set. one is for extreme driving/racing. and one set does squeal more then the other.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

I know a lot of the squeel can also come from not applying high temp lubricant on the top of the pad where the anti-squeel plate contacts the top of the pad...not sure anyone has mentioned that...just my 2c
Old Sep 30, 2006, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
The compound of these pads are for a more agressive heat range.
Try threshold braking in a few sucessions to brake the pad in.
If you glaze them over by not being aggressive enought to wipe the pads cleans they squeal. The surface gets to smooth if you will.
All race cars with race pads are really loud due to the ceramic compositions and high thermal dynamics. I loved them.
The EBC Red stuff V3 is my choice.
+1
Old Sep 30, 2006, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cheb evo
I know a lot of the squeel can also come from not applying high temp lubricant on the top of the pad where the anti-squeel plate contacts the top of the pad...not sure anyone has mentioned that...just my 2c
Yes, do this. Put anti-seeze on the bottom edges of that spring clip that holds teh pads in place. There is a good tutorial in the how-to secion..pretty much says put anti-seeze anywhere metal touches metal except on the face of the pad.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Cause I had a few minutes. Just take a couple hours and go do this yourself...then rebed.

Pay a lot of attention to steps 8,9,and 10.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=77123
Old Sep 30, 2006, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drewblueeye
anyone want to hear my brake pads just PM me your Email address and i will send it. seriously if you have the hawk brake pads from buschur racing and they dont squeal then what to i got to do.

and to the person that was giving me advice on how to unglaze them. could you speak in english?

Dude, people are trying to help and you throw insults??? The post about glazing was clear to anyone that knows about glazing....

More likely, the dealer just put the pads on the car...Ideally you should round the edges of the pad to help with the bedding process and most dealerships DO NOT do this....So here is what I would recommend:

(1) Jack the car up properly (go to How to section and read up)
(2) Remove brake pads (go to How to section and read up)
(3) Put a 30 - 60 degree blend on the entire pad edge -- so take a file and just angle the edge of the brake pad
(4) Put everything back and you should be fine.....
Old Sep 30, 2006, 06:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by dryad001
Just a few questions. Why did Mitsu take the calipers off? They don't need to be taken off of the car to install brake pads unless you did rotors at the same... Sounds to me that it's another case of Mitsu techs don't know dick.
I'd have to agree... they also probably did not peel the fiber shims off the old OE pads. I love Ferodo DS2500 pads for street cars. However, if you don't reuse the fibre shims glued to the backs of the OE pads, they will sqeak too. I'd ask for my, or any used OE Evo pads to get those shims.

Quick Reply: Never Buy Hawk Brake Pads!!!!!