Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Never Buy Hawk Brake Pads!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm odd... Mine are on my car with slotted and dimpled rotors.. and they are perfectly fine with no noise what so ever. Even my friends evo with the higher up hawk hps race pads it only squeaks only a tad and its not loud even?
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

get over it, these pads last long, and stop the car, go get an audi if you want in cabin silence....
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

For daily driving my Hawk HPS pads don't make any noise. If I do some spirited driving where I applying the break pads at high speeds they get heated. Then all hell breaks loose. Buschur installed my break pads and I followed what ever it said on the box for break in procedure.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Also did you replace the rotors or at least resurface them? If they are glazed at all, they can make horrible noise with new pads.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Give them a week or 2, Mine were noisy and it was embarassing to drive my evo at first. I was about ready to throw them away!! they finally quieted down and are silent for everyday driving and they only make alittle noise after some really aggressive braking.
ed
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

I have the HP+ pads and they squeal alot at low and high speeds . They suck . Also when you go in from reverse to drive you will hear the rear pads shift sounding like they are loose . Thats cause the rears are off by a few thousands of a inch or something. After a whille your steering wheel will wobble cause of these sh itty pads . I will never buy HAWK pads again
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drew, you should not be freaking out. This is not normal, and this by no means is an indication that Hawk pads shouldn't be bought. For instance,

1) You shouldn't be paying anyone to install pads. That's a ridiculously easy job that should never cost $200+!! Holy crap, what a ripoff.

2) If you liberally grease the shims (or the back of the pad with no shims like me), they don't make any noise at all.

3) I use Hawk HP+, which are the strongest "street" pad that Hawk makes, and mine don't make a single noise when daily driving or when racing. I used a lot of high temp grease, then bedded them on the track for a few laps, then haven't heard a single squeak out of them since.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
I have the Hawk HPS pads and the only time they squel is if I've been braking HARD. Daily driving they make absolutely no noise.
thats because the install was phenominal ... i was figuring you'd chime in before too long lol.

his install went great.... and we coated them with a buttload of anti sieze which could be why they dont squeal.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOIX4me
I have the HP+ pads and they squeal alot at low and high speeds . They suck . Also when you go in from reverse to drive you will hear the rear pads shift sounding like they are loose . Thats cause the rears are off by a few thousands of a inch or something. After a whille your steering wheel will wobble cause of these sh itty pads . I will never buy HAWK pads again
No, they do not suck. Perhaps the installation sucked, but the pads for sure do not suck. Why do you have HP+ anyway? Do you race frequently? If not, then you have no need for them.

It amazes me how non-racers get racing gear, then don't know how to use them or install them, then complain and say the stuff sucks. What a joke...
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOONYOASS
I have the hawk hps on my car and they only make noise the last few feet when coming to a stop. I have the racing brake 2 piece rotors on my car also.

These pads are going to make "some" noise, but for the most part they shouldn't make noise all the time.

Thats exactly how my car is, however im running stock rotors
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I have HPS and I am so confused on why mine doesn't sqeeky while yours and other's squeek. A fellow member here helped me intall them and I remember that we didn't have to put too much copper anti-sieze on. Just enough to coat the surfaces of the shims and some other small surfaces. We didn't nessessarily use any name-brand anti-sieze...it was actually NAPA brand.

I also changed my rotors at the same time as well.

I just dont' get it when others say they squeel all the time. Are you sure you have the HPS and not race pads..I did notice you paid $231...when a pair of front HPS costs about $100.

Last edited by mdosu; Sep 30, 2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you went to the dealer to get the Brake pads changes for $231 ??? WHy in the world would you do this ?

Next time buy OEM pads, and change them yourself.

Originally Posted by drewblueeye
I bought a set of front and rear Hawk Brake pads from Buschur Racing for $215.00 for both. I then got a Mitsubishi Dealer to put them on for $231.00. so i spent $446.00 and I read that they make a little noise even though on Buschur Racings website they state and I quote "* Very quiet, low noise *". All I got to say about that is " WHAT A LOAD OF CR^P!!!" DO NOT BUY THESE BRAKE PADS THEY DONT SQUEAK, THEY SQUEAL, SQUAWK, AND GROAN AND SOUNDS LIKE THERE IS NO BRAKE PADS ON JUST METAL ON METAL!!!!

I took the car back to Mitsubishi and they took the calipers back off (for free, thank god) and they said that they were installed correctly. And they were properly seated. The brakes dont make any noise at all until after about 1 minute, when the brakes warm up then it is UNGODLY BAD!!!

Put it this way, they are so bad I dont even want to drive my Evo because everytime i stop I get pissed off and angry cuz they are so loud. Also I can hear them over my stereo and my subwoofers.

Yeah yeah i know i shouldnt post this without contacting Buschur Racing and telling them my problem.... OH WAIT!!! I did contact them, I Emailed David and he told me he couldnt take back used brake pads and that I need to properly seat them and bed them to the rotors. But i did do that and they are still HORRIBLE. Plus he told me that "Peformance metallic pads do make noise, it is their nature".

So I cant get my $446.00 back but I can warn everyone else not to buy Hawk brake pads, and honestly I am not risking getting another set of Performance brake pads. And I personally think now that the OEM brake pads are worth the extra money if you dont have to listen to the Squeal, moan, squawk.

SERIOUSLY THEY ARE LOUD AND WHO EVER DISAGREES NEEDS TO LISTEN TO MY PADS. INFACT I MAY JUST POST A SOUND CLIP SOMEWHERE AND POST IT IN THIS PAGE SO LOOK FOR THE SOUND CLIP IN UPCOMING COMMENTS FROM ME. :MAD:
Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

The Hawk HPS pads do sqeak badly when they're hot FOR THE FIRST FEW HUNDRED MILES. Once you break them in this stops, AS LONG as you bedded them correctly.

I was worried for awhile too, but now I love them.

I disagree with you, because you freaked out too fast. Give them a few hundred miles, and don't ride them when you stop, modulate the brake pressure on/off especially from high speed.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

OK i have to clear something up so people will get off my Nuts about it. I work as a mechanic in sioux city so yes i could have done them myself. I am sure that it would only take a few hours to do myself. and MAYBE i got ripped off by taking it to mitsubishi expectially now that they squeak. BUT i have 2 good reasons for not doing them myself.

1. I can afford to have someone else do them
2. I would rather spend the time with my son since i work 50 to 60 hours a week and dont get to see him that often.

if you dont like my reasons then i guess tough!

Warrtalon,
Tonight i am going to take my brakes apart MYSELF and was wondering if you could tell me where all i should grease? Should i use Anti-Sease that you use on studs or should i got and get some actual brake grease from the part store? I have heard Anti-seaze, but i have never used anti-seaze on brakes and sounds kind of weird.

should i grease all of the back side of the brake pad?
Should i round the edges of the pad with a file?
should i grease the anti-squeak spring?

I will look on hear for a good write up for brembos.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

also in no way was the blame directed toward BUSCHUR RACING. They are a great company, i was just posting what they told me so maybe someone could explain what they meant.

I only buy parts from BUSCHUR RACING and will continue to!

Quick Reply: Never Buy Hawk Brake Pads!!!!!