Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

All Season vs. Blizzak

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2006, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Season vs. Blizzak

I'm starting to think about my tire options for the winter. I live in the Philadelphia area where our winters can only have a few snow days each year, or we can have weeks of snow.

What are the pros and cons when deciding on getting a set of Blizzaks (or any snow tire) versus getting a set of all-season tires only for the winter?
-Will the all-seasons handle significantly better in dry conditions?
-How well do Blizzaks handle in dry conditions?
-Will either tire last longer?

Are winter tires worth getting over all-season if I only have 10 real days of snow to drive in each winter? If anyone has any insight to help me decide I'd greatly appreciate any opinions.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 07:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
With AWD and and all season tire you might do well in light to moderate climates. But nothing will provide the snow and ice traction like a dedicated winter tire. Winter tires will wear a bit quicker and won't handle as well but that's not why one buys winter tires. The more aggressive you go the better traction but less clear day handling.

If you live in an area that's mainly plowed like the city, a sport winter tire (ie Blizzak LM25) might be better. They are designed to handle moderate snow climates and the colder temps, but still retain some handling and response.

If your in a more rural setting where there's harsher snow conditions and the roads are mostly covered the more aggressive tire is better (ie Blizzak WS-50). They aren't designed for aggressive driving, but with AWD and that tire there is nothing you couldn't drive thru.

If your even considering snow tires that tells me you should be in one instead of an all season. Personally I purchase snow tires, the most aggressive ones, because I want to make sure I can get thru anything the winter can toss at me. Don't mind sacrificing some dry handling to make sure I can get home if a freak storm comes. Once you use a winter tire you'll never go back.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

I live in NE Ohio and tried running all season Toyo Proxes 4 tires. They do great in 3.5 of the seasons. When it comes to the deeper snow covered roads I still was not happy with how the car did. My solution was to get a 4x4 for the winter and just not use my car in the salt and snow. I figure that way the car will last longer and stay nicer as well.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

I had blizzak lm25s on my wrx and I could climb mountains lol...I seriously took it out in the blizzard during and after and was the only car in the parking lot at work amongst all the lifted trucks...and I was lowered, I plowed through the snow sometimes.

You give up a lot of handling and gain some road noise but you get a softer ride...I had them in 16s maybe on a 17 with a thinner sidewall it'll be better...but if you get hit with heavy snow and need to get somewhere you'll be glad you got blizzaks. If your evo is a secondary car or you don't NEED to get anywhere when a storm hits you'll get away fine with all seasons.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

You might want to try the Hankook Icebear W300. It is a cheaper alternative and works fantastic. I had them on my WRX and it felt like I was on pavement in the snow. Just a thought.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Dunlop Wintersport M3's... by far the best tire I've had in terms of balance between still having good dry grip and and still claw through every snow storm we got here in NH... and that was when I just had a Saab.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 02:29 PM

I have the hankook bears and they performed brilliantly.
a performance winter tire with the snowflake symbol will outperform an all season tire in inclimate weather and with temperatures at 45 degrees fahrenheit and below. according to testing on the tire rack website the best performance in snow would be a studless snow tire but i think you give up a little too much performance in dry cold weather thus i would go with a performance winter tire with the snowflake symbol. you have a great balance considering the awd drive helps a lot.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks everyone for the input
Old Oct 10, 2006, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

I also live in NE Ohio, and i have run the Blizzaks WS 50 for two winters and will be running them a third winter (same set). Treadwear is fine, and the grip is amazing, just freaking wonderful in the snow.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Just for the record I ran LM-22's for 3 winter seasons and loved them. The last season there weren't near as gripy so I tossed them but I'll definately get another set this year. They aren't bad at all in dry weater and have a stiff sidewall so you don't have that "sloppy" feeling
Old Oct 10, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

running blizzak ws-50 no snow yet but cant take a chance in mt, still pretty fun in dry u can dance all over the place. they will probably last two winters here
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh how I long for the days of the Integra and 195/55/15 snow tire-prices

Hey Neal, is Tire-rack doing any special deals on Blizzaks for winter?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

my blizzacks have served me well in pittsburgh.

i was actually impressed with the dry traction from them, much better than i would expect from a dedicated snow tire. i haven't tried any all seasons on my car, but i am very happy with my blizzacks and will be running them again this season.

so far the wear is quite marginal. i put probably around 8k on them and they really don't look very phased at all. i will certainly get a second a season out of the no problem, and most likely a third too.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

+1 on any new deals
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by McDougal
You might want to try the Hankook Icebear W300. It is a cheaper alternative and works fantastic. I had them on my WRX and it felt like I was on pavement in the snow. Just a thought.
That's what I ran all winter last season. They work well in the snow, OK in the ice, great in the wet, and pretty good in the dry. It's one of the only tires I've ever seen that are both speed rated and snow rated (snowflake symbol). Also, at $108/ea (at least when I bought them) I couldn't really be more impressed.