Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

NEED HELP! odd Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoizeeX
definitely check your alignment, it could be off after a number of miles or rough road driving as well as after installing coilovers.
you might also need to have your car properly adjusted for corner weights, because with different cross weight you can get uneven tire wear.
corner weighing is when they adjust coilover height so that the combined weight on diagonally opposite corners is 50% of total weight. that is what you want to have, especially on a precise car like the evo, with its stiff chassis and suspension

well one thing to mention is that the tire that is wearing the most has a coilover... and the other one has a stock strut.. why? because I had to send my coilover back to buddyclub for repair.

so in the I am running a buddyclub race spec coilover raised to the evos "stock" height on one side and a stock strut on the other. I am getting the weird wear on the side w/ the coilover and based on what you're telling me; that could be the problem?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

damn stock advans lasted 28000?????? u sure its not 18000??? how do u drive ur car.... damn thats like 15000 extra miles
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Profoxcg
well one thing to mention is that the tire that is wearing the most has a coilover... and the other one has a stock strut.. why? because I had to send my coilover back to buddyclub for repair.

so in the I am running a buddyclub race spec coilover raised to the evos "stock" height on one side and a stock strut on the other. I am getting the weird wear on the side w/ the coilover and based on what you're telling me; that could be the problem?
hells yes, my friend. it's not enough to keep it at stock height. in fact, having that coilover at stock height does NOT guarantee stock weight distribution because that spring has a different rate. seems like that corner has more weight, as it carries more friction and wears out the tire faster.
think of your car as a chair with one leg shorter/longer than others (the one with stock srut is that leg). so now your chair/car puts most of the weight on 2 diagonally opposing legs/wheels because they stick out the most (even if only 1 of them is the longest) and the chair rocks diagonally on those longest legs intermittenly putting weight on each of the shorter legs (sounds convoluted, but try to imagine a chair and you get the idea)

do you have ride height separately adjustable from spring preload? it'll be easier to adjust that way. basically you need to make the corner that's wearing out a lil shorter. if it's preload adjustable only, then tighten that spring more.

overall though, you can't get it perfect when one corner is stock, that corner is the softest, so it'll be the shorter leg. i'm guesstimating, since i don't know your spring rates as you have your car setup right now. best thing is to put another stock strut up front...like right now, seriously, dont' drive like this, it'll take you only 30-45 mins to swap.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

spring rates are 10K for the buddyclubs...

yeah I shouldve swaped the entire front but I didnt think buddyclub was going to take a month to ship out my new front shock. .. urgh that sucks !!!

and now I guess I have to replace all 4 tires? i can not just do two right??
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Profoxcg
spring rates are 10K for the buddyclubs...

yeah I shouldve swaped the entire front but I didnt think buddyclub was going to take a month to ship out my new front shock. .. urgh that sucks !!!

and now I guess I have to replace all 4 tires? i can not just do two right??
i forgot what evo spring rates are, but they're definitely lower than 10k. i would say stock evo springs are relatively soft considering how the car rolls noticeably on advans or any other grippy tires.

it's too bad this is taking you forever to get replaced. how bad is the worn out tire? or better yet, gimme a break down of how much thread (in fractions of an inch) is on each tire? if the difference is small, you can get away with it, by bumping up the pressure in the smaller tread tires and putting them up front, since the front is supposed to have more psi per factory recommendations (due to more weight up front).
also, you might be able to purchase a new tire from tirerack.com and ask them to shave it to match the tread depth of your current tires.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 05:49 PM

I just had my alignment done in Vegas 4 weeks ago and My driver side tires inside is almost gone and it is bumpy. The last set of tires I mounted burned out the inside drivers edge in 5400 miles and rotated them three times and aligned the car twice. I just changed struts to MR struts and then got it aligned in Las Vegas and I got a computer read out that says was perfect too. Now I drive back to Reno and Holy **** 1,500 miles later I got no inside tire tread.

I am so unhappy I could kill something! This damn car eats tires like a drunken punk. HELP.???
Old Feb 4, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
i forgot what evo spring rates are, but they're definitely lower than 10k. i would say stock evo springs are relatively soft considering how the car rolls noticeably on advans or any other grippy tires.

it's too bad this is taking you forever to get replaced. how bad is the worn out tire? or better yet, gimme a break down of how much thread (in fractions of an inch) is on each tire? if the difference is small, you can get away with it, by bumping up the pressure in the smaller tread tires and putting them up front, since the front is supposed to have more psi per factory recommendations (due to more weight up front).
also, you might be able to purchase a new tire from tirerack.com and ask them to shave it to match the tread depth of your current tires.

I will to that for you tomorrow, but I tell you that the rears are still good, but front are really bad, i want to say almost no threat on that one side. if anything 1/16..