Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

EVO IX MR Springs - Questions...

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2007, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO IX MR Springs - Questions...

I did some searching yesterday and came up with good information on the brands that people prefer for lowering springs.

So far, it looks like my options are the Tein S. Techs or a SWIFT equivelant.

Looks like the Tein's are pretty inexpensive.

However, I'm looking for the best of both worlds here...

1. I DD my car almost 75 miles every day just with my commute to and from work. Then add the fact that I drive the EVO everywhere else and I log a lot of hours in the car.

2. I don't want a ride that's going to be abusive.

3. I autox, so I want a spring that will still perform.

I had a 2002 Nissan Spec-V a few years back and stupidly bought springs without investigating first. This was a huge mistake since it ended up being too rough of a ride for me. I'm looking for a near-stock ride quality but still has the ***** to give me better performance when racing.

What would you guys suggest? Does anyone know a good dealer that provides good prices on both options? I drive an IX MR, so I know that my options are a bit limited because of the bilsteins.

Thanks a lot guys...

Last edited by turb0z-MR; May 25, 2007 at 05:59 AM.
Old May 25, 2007, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
As a general statement, I would stay away from S-Techs. They were designed with looks in mind rather than performance or ride quality. We have just gone to production with our own springs that we designed based on extensive testing with various springs already on the market. We improved upon the areas that we felt were lacking, and I think a lot of people will be happy with the final result. We're expecting the first shipment in about 4 weeks, let me know if you woud like some more info or care to be placed on the preorder list.

-Dan
Old May 25, 2007, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Works Ride Springs

I would highly recommend calling WORKS in Cali and look into their Ride Springs for the MR.

I recently put a set on my IX GSR and they are fantastic....I have about 900 miles on them now.

Ride quality is no worse than stock in the choppy stuff and in the twisties roll is greatly reduced and it feels more confident.
Old May 25, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the feedback so far. Keep'm coming guys.

GTWORX, you have a PM
Old May 25, 2007, 01:46 PM
Former Sponsor

No problem, PM returned.

-Dan
Old May 25, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Tein makes a special S.Tech for the MR now that is suppose to not hurt the Bilstein. The normal S.Tech lowers your car too much and the spring rate is too soft causing the shock to die.

There a member on here that has the Tien S.Tech MR spec. Can try a do a search.
Old May 25, 2007, 10:18 PM

I put a set of Works lowering springs on my IX MR and the ride quality is great, and i drive it daily and its fine.
Old May 26, 2007, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you did some searching, then you should have seen that Tein S-Techs would be the LAST choice. They aren't in the same league as Swift at least in terms of the purposes you stated.

However, if you just add springs, the ride isn't going to be any better, because you have no control over the dampers. Also, you will not get performance in auto-x from just adding springs. You will get destroyed by anything in your class that has real suspension upgrades, so keep that in mind.
Old May 26, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
If you did some searching, then you should have seen that Tein S-Techs would be the LAST choice. They aren't in the same league as Swift at least in terms of the purposes you stated.

However, if you just add springs, the ride isn't going to be any better, because you have no control over the dampers. Also, you will not get performance in auto-x from just adding springs. You will get destroyed by anything in your class that has real suspension upgrades, so keep that in mind.
+2

If your car is DD, springs will do fine but if you want to do any type of auto-x
or tracking, then you're better off with a decent set of coilovers.

There is so much in suspension than just lowering the center of gravity.
Old May 27, 2007, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm, interesting points.

Would it even be worth it for me to even get springs right now then? Just save up for a nice set of coilovers? Keep in mind, I don't AutoX to compete, I just go out to have fun, doesn't really matter much how I place.

I'm looking for an uprade from stock. Not sure if I'm ready for coilovers...
Old May 28, 2007, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turb0z-MR
hmmm, interesting points.

Would it even be worth it for me to even get springs right now then? Just save up for a nice set of coilovers? Keep in mind, I don't AutoX to compete, I just go out to have fun, doesn't really matter much how I place.

I'm looking for an uprade from stock. Not sure if I'm ready for coilovers...
Well, if you're not concerned abt being competitive & just want aesthetics, then the S-techs will be fine as they lower the car nicely...

Keep in mind that an equal driver w/ (just) a stock-suspended car will eat your lunch @ auto-x though
Old May 28, 2007, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
Well, if you're not concerned abt being competitive & just want aesthetics, then the S-techs will be fine as they lower the car nicely...

Keep in mind that an equal driver w/ (just) a stock-suspended car will eat your lunch @ auto-x though
No, the S-Techs would not be fine. They make handling worse AND kill the shocks. Instead, he would be fine with Swift or Works springs, since those would make the car look better and not kill the shocks, although they wouldn't make him competitive in auto-x, but that isn't important to him.
Old May 28, 2007, 07:32 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I agree with everyone else that has posted later in the thread.

The stock suspension is far from optimal, but it is capable. Putting aftermarket springs on an MR with stock shocks will not only destroy the great ride of the MR, they will also hasten the demise of the Bilsteins and make the car slower on track.

So many people seem to care too much about their car looks like a 4x4. Guess what? The Evo is AWD.

IMO, stay stock shocks and springs or go full (quality) coilovers.
Old May 29, 2007, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Noize
I agree with everyone else that has posted later in the thread.

The stock suspension is far from optimal, but it is capable. Putting aftermarket springs on an MR with stock shocks will not only destroy the great ride of the MR, they will also hasten the demise of the Bilsteins and make the car slower on track.

So many people seem to care too much about their car looks like a 4x4. Guess what? The Evo is AWD.

IMO, stay stock shocks and springs or go full (quality) coilovers.
In many cases this is true since a lot of springs are designed mainly for looks, but a spring with minimal lowering and proper rates WILL improve handling without compromising ride quality. The main problem with a lot of the springs out there is they are too low and the rates are too low, and therefore any time you hit a larger bump or hit a bump during hard cornering, you're hitting the bumpstops. This is why we took care during testing to make sure that our springs don't lower the car too much, and the rates are a good match for the valving of the stock dampers.

-Dan
Old May 29, 2007, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For 300-350$$ the WORKS springs are IMO the best bang for your buck if youre not going to auto-xx and its your DD (like mine). Ive had NO adverse reactions or problems after install.

Quick Reply: EVO IX MR Springs - Questions...