Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

MR Bilsteins to Megan St. CO's user input

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2007, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
MR Bilsteins to Megan St. CO's user input

If you have switched from MR Bilsteins to Megan Street Coilover's:

How does the ride compare over bumpy / rough roads?

Any other insight would be appreciated from people who have made that swap.

I have been reading how well the megan street coilovers work & ride.

I have a rough riding 03 & i am looking to make a budget concious improvement to handling performance & ride quality.

Please dont suggest / comment that having a evo => rough ride => Handling performance. Because the mr springs/struts get's you a smoother ride & better performance. over the oem 03 set-up.

Thanks for your input
Old May 31, 2007, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the exact same swap from my stock Bilsteins to the Megan Racing Street CO's.

I found initially the ride was quite stiff but after tweaking the damping on the coil-overs
I found a nice balance between stiffness and comfort.

It's a personal choice thing I suppose. I've had people in my car that think the ride is too stiff whilst others think its the smoothest ride ever.

I would never go back to the the stock struts. I will eventually upgrade the Megans to some high end coil-overs, but for now....they do the job WELL!.

I can say that you should probably add a bit of grease to the upper ball on the fronts to keep everything working nicely. I had to grease mine up this past weekend as they were so dry they weren't turning and were causing the springs to turn on the perch instead of the entire CO turning on the ball.

My 2c.
Old May 31, 2007, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
I swapped from Bilsteins to the apexi exv's which are basically the same as megans. Now I have KW V3's.

If you aren't planning on tracking the car much and don't want the adjustability, I would say go with the bilsteins with some good lowering springs. If its a 90%+ street car I would honestly go that route. The bilsteins ride great while still handling pretty good for the street and a 1 or 2 track events a year.
Old May 31, 2007, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Razor, Good input, thanks! I have an '03 with 85K miles on the stock suspension. I have been trying to figure out which path to take next (as my stock suspension is probably past it's prime by now). I have read countless threads on Megans vs. Bilsteins+Swift or Espelier Springs. I do 1 to 2 track days a year and drive 80 miles a day for my commute (over too many pot holes to count). The price is basically the same ......... arg ......... what to do? what to do? I am leaning towards Megans.

WOT, sorry to jump into your thread but's it's a good topic .

Originally Posted by razorlab
If you aren't planning on tracking the car much and don't want the adjustability, I would say go with the bilsteins with some good lowering springs. If its a 90%+ street car I would honestly go that route. The bilsteins ride great while still handling pretty good for the street and a 1 or 2 track events a year.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:32 PM
Former Sponsor

^ no problem.

Thanks for yur input guy's.

here is the deal that i see:

used mr bilsteins: 450/500- shipped
lowering springs: swift new 300- shipped ~200 used

at best your looking @ 650-700.

new megans: ? $800-900....

this is what i am up against / seeing.

Going the mr bilsteins is the logical choice, but for a few hundred more, you get performance & the look that 1 prefers with the adjustability.

keep the info coming guys
Old May 31, 2007, 02:46 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

If you're considering the Megan Street, also consider the BC Racing Type BR coilovers. They're an updated version of the Megans with a beefier design and the same price point.

I just changed from Megan Street to the BC coilovers.
Old May 31, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GroundChuck
Razor, Good input, thanks! I have an '03 with 85K miles on the stock suspension. I have been trying to figure out which path to take next (as my stock suspension is probably past it's prime by now). I have read countless threads on Megans vs. Bilsteins+Swift or Espelier Springs. I do 1 to 2 track days a year and drive 80 miles a day for my commute (over too many pot holes to count). The price is basically the same ......... arg ......... what to do? what to do? I am leaning towards Megans.

WOT, sorry to jump into your thread but's it's a good topic .
Food for thought...if you keep the MR Bilsteins with the OEM springs the longevity should be far greater than an aftermarket coilover. If you add Swift or other springs to the MR Bilsteins, then all bets are off for longevity between COs or the MR setup.

I autocross regularly, and I'm still on the stock MR setup. It isn't ideal by any stretch, but I enjoy my car as a daily/fun car first and longevity is important to me.
Old May 31, 2007, 06:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 91TB78
Food for thought...if you keep the MR Bilsteins with the OEM springs the longevity should be far greater than an aftermarket coilover. If you add Swift or other springs to the MR Bilsteins, then all bets are off for longevity between COs or the MR setup.

I autocross regularly, and I'm still on the stock MR setup. It isn't ideal by any stretch, but I enjoy my car as a daily/fun car first and longevity is important to me.
same here brother

This is something that is ringing in my mind too.

There is always a compromise with whatever we do with these damn cars & finding teh balance for each, is the dificult part.