Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

new brake pads = screeching?!?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2007, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by l2edline
yes i know where the search button is. thank you for that. i wouldnt be asking if i had a clear answer now would i?
you just seemed pretty clueless so I thought I would help you out. but good luck taking your evo back to midas
Old Jul 2, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

That happened to me... I went to go get new brake pads at Goodyear and they changed em. After that for about a week they were just basically 'squealing'/screeching. I took it back and told them wtf because they told me that Metallic Pads would squeak a lot, and that Ceramic (more expensive) would be less squeaky, but this was squeaky whenever i applied brakes. I took it back and I watched them switch them out with new ones and wallah....... a little bit of screeching. lol
Old Jul 2, 2007, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just remember, the pad material goes against the rotor. my uncle installed his backwards and it made a grinding, metal to metal sound. LOLOLOLOLOL. my dad helped him flip them around. did you turn the rotors? you can but you're not really supposed to. they were made for the slap. break-in with cheap pads=squeal. and it will just get worse. i did a sidejob on a camry with kragen pads. 1 month later they came back and accused me of not changing the pads. i said go get stock toyota pads. no more squeal. and the people with "warped" rotors do not know how to brake.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l2edline
hawk pads

Which hawk pads?
hps: pad geared more towards "spirited" street driving, not so noisey
hp+: street/track pad, noisey as fawk (im currently running these)
Old Jul 3, 2007, 03:31 AM

Grease
Old Jul 3, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^^^+1!!!!
Old Jul 3, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gonzo0991
Which hawk pads?
hps: pad geared more towards "spirited" street driving, not so noisey
hp+: street/track pad, noisey as fawk (im currently running these)
Thats what I was meaning. My Hawk HP+ scream like a little girL, but I love the stoping power. But I do have another set of HPS's I need to put back on there. Its amazing at how people dont read about the pads before they just slap them on.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:53 AM

i got the HPS
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:46 AM

Were you sure to reuse the shims from the original brake pads? I just replaced my stock pads with the Hawks..... and accidentally threw away the original shims. Got a new set of shims from the Mitsu dealer and had them put on... now the squeaking is minimized...... also .. were you sure to use enough lubricant when you changed them?
Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Definately the stock shims must be retained. I have Hawk HPS and they squealed for the first 500 miles or so, but now they only squeel after a really hard braking session or in reverse. Even my stock Brembo pads squealed a bit. It's normal for performance pads to make noise. The harder the compound, the more noise. Check out the descriptions and "noise" levels here.
Attached Thumbnails new brake pads = screeching?!?-hawk.jpg  
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:31 PM

hawk hps make alittle noise at first and get alittle better as soon as you learn how to adjust your driving style around town...
Old Jul 4, 2007, 02:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOgirlie8
Were you sure to reuse the shims from the original brake pads? I just replaced my stock pads with the Hawks..... and accidentally threw away the original shims. Got a new set of shims from the Mitsu dealer and had them put on... now the squeaking is minimized...... also .. were you sure to use enough lubricant when you changed them?
how much did you pay for the stock shims? i have the stock shims(didnt apply new grease either) and installed mine back on the stock rotors w/ project Mu NS pads mine squeal sometimes but usually only when ive been driving for more than an hour

it sounds like your shims but if you have a pad not for daily street use id suggest investing in a set
Old Jul 4, 2007, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

feredo is the best in cheap category
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:25 AM

If you are running an aggressive pad set up, you will likely get squeeking. At my work, we have customers come in all the time complaining that the brakes make too much noise. Its common with agressive compounds. As for the coloration on the rotor, maybe they are glazed over. Go speed up to about 65 and brake hard. Do that a couple times and see if it helps
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

let me guess.. you didn't use the brake quiet goop/grease? if you don't use this on both sides of the shim and on the leading and trailing edge of the pads then you will get a lot of noise...

I'm running hawk HT-10s and they are quieter then my HP+ pads were.. because I did the leading and trailing edges... it makes a big difference.

Quick Reply: new brake pads = screeching?!?