Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Adjusting ride height with Tein Flex Coilovers...?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjusting ride height with Tein Flex Coilovers...?

Ok, quick question. Ive searched and read the TEIN install manual which has me more confused than anything.

There are the lock washers that hold the spring up, and there is another big washer and the end of the shock. To adjust the ride height, ive read that you can loosen the bottom washer, and turn the damper to raise & lower it, then tighten up the washer.

or

Do I loosen up the big washers that hold the spring up, and move those up/down and allow the spring to expand or tighten? Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2007, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

I got the TEIN Flex Coilovers put on a few minutes ago... the rears have 2 finger wheel gap, and the front have 3 finger wheel gap. Rears are RIGHT where I want them... but the front is still a little high for my taste.

Is there any easy way of lowering the front? I've thought about loosening the very low lock ring, and just turned the shock until it lowers it... or is this not the correct way to do it? Let me know...thanks.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would jack the car up and adjust the height on the coilover that way.Also are you using a tape measure to measure the gap?You want to have the car off the ground when you are adjusting the coilover so as not to have any weight on the shock when you lower it more.Also try to adjust the coilovers on as level of ground as possible.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

What im trying to say is, that I dont know HOW to adjust the coilover... Ill worry about the tape measure when I learn how to move it up or down. That is the point of this thread.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok well than when you turn the 2 metal rings on the coilover I think clockwise it will lower the ride height.The lower to the bottom of the coilover the lower your ride height.When you have your desired height than lock the 2 metal rings and your in business!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:43 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Dont adjust your height by altering your spring preload. Just freaking loosen up the strut housing man! Twist the bottom counter-clockwise to make it taller, clockwise to shorten the damper height. Make sure you lock the lower collar AFTER you tighten the rear strut to the lower control arm.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 06:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread is ancient but maybe someone can help me out. I just got an 03 evo with the tein coilovers. Tein springs in the front and eibach sport line in the rear. When I put the car on jack stands all the springs were really loose. I was able to move them up and down about a half inch. Is that how they are supposed to be with the tires off the ground? I wanted to raise the car up a little but those bottom collars are not budging as of now. I was able to loosen all the spring load collars. I was thinking of adjusting those collars and just making the springs snug. Hopefully what I wrote makes sense. Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 07:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky_D
This thread is ancient but maybe someone can help me out. I just got an 03 evo with the tein coilovers. Tein springs in the front and eibach sport line in the rear. When I put the car on jack stands all the springs were really loose. I was able to move them up and down about a half inch. Is that how they are supposed to be with the tires off the ground? I wanted to raise the car up a little but those bottom collars are not budging as of now. I was able to loosen all the spring load collars. I was thinking of adjusting those collars and just making the springs snug. Hopefully what I wrote makes sense. Thanks.

Most coilovers require some level of pre-load. Im not familiar Teins preload recommendation, but you need to address this ASAP

At the very least, snug the springs up so there is zero play, by adjusting the lower perch. You should refer to your Tein installation instructions to verify
Old Mar 24, 2017, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Most coilovers require some level of pre-load. Im not familiar Teins preload recommendation, but you need to address this ASAP

At the very least, snug the springs up so there is zero play, by adjusting the lower perch. You should refer to your Tein installation instructions to verify
Thanks for the quick reply. The setup has been in the car for 11 years and not touched for about 9. I haven't driven it much but when I did there was a lot of noise from the rear when hitting imperfections in the road, which is where the springs were the loosest. I was able to get the 2 upper collars loose on all corners and snugged up the springs. Tried to get the fronts equal to each other and rears equal to each other. Measured from various points to make sure I have matches in the front / rear. I soaked the ride height locking collar with PB. Hopefully I'll be able to break them free and raise up the front a little bit as it sits just a little too low for me.