Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What pad for stopping from 150MPH

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What pad for stopping from 150MPH

Ok, so I know the title seems weird but here is my question.

I have stock pads and they still got some life left on them but they do not really suite my driving style. I do not road race or track my car but I do lots of highway pulls. If I'm at 120-150MPH and I brake with medium force to slow down I get a shaking in the wheel which continues under braking for about a mile then goes away.

It seems like I am having pad material deposit on the rotors which causes the shaking but then wears away after a bit more breaking at more normal speeds.

I have Baer Eradispeed Plus rotors all around, slotted only, not drilled.

Is my shaking problem most likely pads? I have just had an alignment done and this happens with both sets of my wheels, so I don't think its balance.

If it is pads, what pads can I get that will work better. I would like to get the most streetable pad that will still be able to slow me down at 150 without making the wheel shake. I don't want some crazy race pad as I don't think I need them.

I was thinking maybe Hawk HPS but I'm not sure if they are up to the job maybe HP+ are needed. Please give me input.

Thanks
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ferodo DS2500, the Hawks wouldn't do any better at those speeds. Man I thought I was the only one that does 150mph highway pulls for no reason glad im not alone.

Last edited by dbsears; Oct 10, 2007 at 12:02 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

If your rotors arent sufficiently cooled on runs like that, hittin the brakes hard and for long will cause the rotors to warp which will give you that wheel shake. It can also be ABS if it was hit hard enough. Get those brake ducts that Warrtalon has. It leads air from the front air dams directly to the braking system to keep it cool. Ferodos should do the job as far as brake pads go.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

I am not really braking for a long time. If I am at 120, within 1 second of braking the wheel will start shaking. The only way to avoid it is to brake slowly. I really don't think the rotors are warping as every piece of literature I have read said that rotor warping is very rare, especially with the two piece slotted rotors I have.

How are the DS2500 for daily use? Do the squeak a lot?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dudical26
From what I've read, they are about the best street pad you can get - and will handle some light track weekends as well.

No pad does everything well, but this one would probably suit ya pretty well. Make sure to bed them in correctly and be safe out there!
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lancerlover
If your rotors arent sufficiently cooled on runs like that, hittin the brakes hard and for long will cause the rotors to warp which will give you that wheel shake. It can also be ABS if it was hit hard enough. Get those brake ducts that Warrtalon has. It leads air from the front air dams directly to the braking system to keep it cool. Ferodos should do the job as far as brake pads go.
You should be careful throwing around "warped rotors", as it is becoming more clear that pad deposits are at fault for most vibration problems. There is a great stoptech article that goes into the technical reasons why warped rotors aren't the problem.

DS2500 +1

I pounded the stock rotors at the track and daily drove them for 30k+ miles, and they never warped. Near the end of their life, I did start to get pad deposits, but I believe it was because I was braking much harder and had switched to RA1's.

I currently have two-piece slotted rotors w/DS2500s. Even with these pads, after five track events, I found pad deposits causing *wicked* vibrations under braking. I have been making rapid stops from 90mph+ while the brakes are relatively cool to try to wear the uneven deposits down. This seems to be working well. I am switching to Hawk DTC60's for my next track day next weekend.

Anyway, DS2500 for spirited street driving, but move to a real track pad for heavy braking if you don't want that shimmy.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:42 AM

I would like to get the most streetable pad that will still be able to slow me down at 150 without making the wheel shake. I don't want some crazy race pad as I don't think I need them.

These should do it, because you're not doing anything crazy.

Duralast / Brake Pads - Front

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution AWD

About this product:
Part Number: MKD1001
Weight: 4.0 lbs.
Warranty: LLT

Note: Semi-metallic

Pricing:
$24.99

Availability:
Store: Normally stocked at your local store.
Online: Ships within 2 business days

Store: Online:

LOL. Just kidding man. You have an 11.70 car and drive 150 regularly and you want something that's streetable? Are you nuts?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

have you tried to engine brake too.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

They squeak and dust up a lot, but they are one of the best street pads you can get..You might also look at the endless CCA or the works Blue for daily use..
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:46 AM

^^^ Brakes are cheaper to replace than clutches. I'm not sure I would want to do that, but that's just my $.02.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:18 AM

I don't have any squeak with the DS2500s, but they do dust like crazy.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

how about to stay away from highway pulls period jerkoff. endangering peoples wife and kids.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the suggestions guys, I guess Ferodo 2500's it is then.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Those pads are great. I went thru 2 sets at the track. They are real good with minimal fade.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:12 PM
Account Disabled

I am a 100% fan of Porterfield R4S pads for the street or autocrossing. very light dusting, quiet, good temperature range, heat quickly, and very rotor friendly.