Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Possibly the best street springs out there?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
Also how fast will these springs blow out my Struts? I had TEIN H-Techs and it handled like **** and then my struts blew at 10,000 afterwards. I want a simple drop and INCREASED handling and 100% OEM ride retained (minus stiffness but I don't want my struts blowing).
That's to be expected of Tein springs, even if they're H-Techs (which aren't as bad as S-Techs, but still definitely not good). You're not going to get 100% retention of the OEM ride quality no matter what when altering the suspension geometry of a car, ESPECIALLY if you're just switching springs.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 01:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a big difference between the Spec R standard and the MR #1 There is an overall legnth difference or free legnth #2 the amount of initial take up. This has to do with the gas psi increase in the Bilsteins and the weight percentages in car being front biased. If you have the same overall legnth of the standard Spec R or other spring in the rear it will sit higher at static ride height that is why you need two different springs I hope this clears this up. That is why some other lowering springs do not have as much drop they are baseing their numbers off of a standard oal or free legnth. Mrfred what overall legnths did you measure? and how much initial pre load did you start with? did you build spring cups to support the springs pig tail? You are right on you point on how the spring will react. I can not answer you camber question as I have not measured the camber curve on my car yet but I will be doing that after things slow down a bit. I have had many parts requests from manufactures and I am busy with that stuff and work, so I only have so much time. Andrew at GT Works informed me he is out of springs and will not be able to have some to ship to me this is most unfortunate, but I will continue with the springs I have. There is alot more involved with ride quality with unspring weight one of the biggest and increase of tire rate due to shorter sidewalls ie. 18" wheel and tire, and the increase of overall weight of wheel and tire can and will put undue stresses on the strut as far as putting it outside the operating range and control range of the spring strut combo. quicker I'm starting this evening on the test and will post the results late Sunday.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Feb 29, 2008 at 04:12 AM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:19 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn... after a LOT of poking around, I bought into the GTWorx springs. After what I found, I believe they would be the BEST bet for the performance minded daily driver. If there were time to get them to you, I might yank mine and ship them to you just to confirm my suspicions. After looking at everything, I feel they are the best bet for the guy who spends 95% of his time driving the car to work/school/what have you. VERY disappointing that Indy Evo isn't going to get them in this little fray!

Last edited by Zeus; Feb 29, 2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^ Whoa....totally misread your post. Now I see what you're saying

I'm gonna check if any of our dealers have any in stock....I don't think they do but I'll check. Otherwise it would be about a 2 week wait at this point.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Feb 29, 2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, my post sucked! Sorry, only excuse was when I posted it... look at the time...

What I meant to say plain and simple is that I think your springs are hands down, the best for a performance minded daily driver. I LIKE THEM!

I have a history of "bang for the buck" rules all. So far, I feel your set IS just that towards a street suspension.

I'm "let down" that you couldn't get Indy Evo a set in time to add to the confirmation. However, "ride" is as subjective as taste in women (or men). Some like it sharp and hard, others like soft and squishy ... I'm like mine in the middle leaning towards the former ... springs I'm talking about, springs!

Back on track with Indy Evo...

It's great for someone with the means go through the trouble. The end users always win with such information

Last edited by Zeus; Feb 29, 2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 06:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Indy Evo, I didn't bother with the OAL for the initial measurements. I was planning to get all the details if I decided to have my own springs made. Now waiting to see your results before I make a decision as to whether I want to make my own springs. I didn't build a cup for the pigtails, but I did block the pigtails at several locations to simulate a cup. Not sure what you mean about preload, but the springs went linear after the first inch of compression. They stayed linear until about 6 inches of compression, and then the rate started increasing pretty dramatically. Didn't get details on that portion of spring travel though. Didn't seem relevant.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 04:24 AM

Is there any one in this thread that can comment on the ride quality of the Bilstein HDs as compared to the stock KYB struts, either with a stock or aftermarket spring?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 08:19 AM

Indy Evo I live in Indy as well I have an 05 MR and I have already purchased a new set of Swift spec-r (mr specific) springs too, but have not installed them yet. If I could be of any assistance I would be more than happy to help you test. PM me and let me know.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
^ Translation: I want a free spring install
Old Mar 1, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
^ Translation: I want a free spring install
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:06 PM
Former Sponsor

And???
Old Mar 3, 2008, 03:09 AM
Former Sponsor

The Swift springs ran as advertised + or - a few pounds. I lost the load cell after the first two data points of Robi's springs will continue tomorrow after the replacement comes in. Sorry Robi it was looking good. Just got to run the rears before the cell pitched. Will post asap.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Mar 3, 2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: update data
Old Mar 7, 2008, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

Bump from the orient ...

l8r)
Old Mar 7, 2008, 04:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Load cell came in. Without getting too deep in theory. Both Swift Spec R's std and MR,were 4 pounds lighter than the Robi's due to their material. All achieved the same overall rate, + or - a few pounds. The Robi's split the difference between the Spec R std and the MR initally, but the Swifts have a gentle lofting curve which seems to be more progressive and hits the advertised rates quicker. The Robi's start their movement 1.0" later and then have a straight line linear curve giving into the theory of letting the car take a set than having the rate jack up. Both springs had repeated well. The Swifts with the MR spring slightly softer initally than the standard Spec R then achieving the same final rate, and the Robi orange. Two different schools of thought both working for each manufacturer. I will post up the fronts this afternoon or tomorrow morning, Thanks

Last edited by Indy Evo; Mar 7, 2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
I went ahead and plotted up your rear spring results along with my measurements of the stock MR springs. I expect that the kink in the spring rate of the Swift springs is the intended spring length at ride height. It equals about 2" of spring compression, or about 3.25" of shock compression (motion ratio of rear suspension is about 1.6:1) which sounds about right for the rear suspension. I'll measure the stock spring compression at ride height when I get home from travel in a few days. Seems like the Swift Spec R springs are a pretty good design. There is a bump in the Robispec spring data. Is this the load cell going bad? Using an OAL of 10.6" for the stock MR rear spring (my tech measured 11.0" to the tip of the pigtail, but that value is too high to give the advertised amount of lowering for the Swift Spec R MR springs), it takes about 3.5" of spring travel before the load carrying capacity of the Swift Spec R MR and Robispec rear springs equals that of the stock springs. 3.5" is probably pretty close to the max shock travel. I'd like to see a little more load carrying capacity in the aftermarket springs at max shock travel. Would be great if the GTWorx springs and the Swift Sport Mach MR spring data could be added to these plots.

spring rate vs spring length

spring load vs spring length
Attached Thumbnails Possibly the best street springs out there?-spring-rate-vs-length.jpg   Possibly the best street springs out there?-spring-load-vs-length.jpg  

Quick Reply: Possibly the best street springs out there?