Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bilstein HD and Swift GSR Product Review, Comparisons, Impressions, and Comments

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard that swifts require a roll center adjustment kit. Is there any value to this advice or is it just icing on an already great cake? I would be really happy if we could hear from swift. But I'm dreaming.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Couple of questions for you:

Are you using the normal Swift springs, or are you using the Spec-R springs?
Also, do you really feel that the OEM (KYB) setup is the softest?
And by 'softest', is that based on body roll, or ride harshness?
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
[If I had to scale in order of stiffness, I would have to say: Megan’s, KYB’s with Swifts, HD’s with Swifts, MR, OEM.
He probably meant to say:
Megan's, KYB's with Swifts, HD's with Swifts, OEM, MR ...

The Bilstein MRs are probably the softest shocks out there for the EVO. Shocks usually make the biggest difference in ride quality. That is why a good quality set of set of coilovers with stiff springs can still ride like a stock EVO. Nice write up.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

I've got the Megan's now, and have ridden in Smike's car... I'm going to have to say that the Megan's are definitely stiffer. For someone who would be driving consistently, I'd suggest the Swift setup over the Megan's - less you enjoy a sore back from long trips. :P

That being said, I prefer the Megan's because I don't travel a terribly long distance, and the turns feel better to me on them than on the Swifts.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Couple of questions for you:

Are you using the normal Swift springs, or are you using the Spec-R springs?
Also, do you really feel that the OEM (KYB) setup is the softest?
And by 'softest', is that based on body roll, or ride harshness?

Thanks for posting (and linking) the review.

l8r)
Swift Sports
Sorry my fingers got ahead of my mind
Softest - body roll and harshness over road bumps.

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
He probably meant to say:
Megan's, KYB's with Swifts, HD's with Swifts, OEM, MR ...

The Bilstein MRs are probably the softest shocks out there for the EVO. Shocks usually make the biggest difference in ride quality. That is why a good quality set of set of coilovers with stiff springs can still ride like a stock EVO. Nice write up.
Thanks! I did - corrected in my post.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 07:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Rising
I have heard that swifts require a roll center adjustment kit. Is there any value to this advice or is it just icing on an already great cake? I would be really happy if we could hear from swift. But I'm dreaming.
Require is the wrong word.....

Definitely benefits from it greatly with the drop that they have, but they still handle well without it.

- andrew
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:14 PM
Former Sponsor

mid-may for the next shipment of Bilstein HDs.

- Andrew
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
mid-may for the next shipment of Bilstein HDs.

- Andrew
Get them while you can!
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Some exciting news: I was put into contact thanks to Jim (IndyEvo) with some awesome people over at Swift Springs about doing more testing of sway bars. And I am very proud to say - I am now sponsored by Swift Springs!

I truely look forward to testing and reviewing their products! More write-ups to follow!

Last edited by Smike; Apr 9, 2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats! Nice write up
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Some exciting news: I was put into contact with some awesome people over at Swift Springs about doing more testing of sway bars. And I am very proud to say - I am now sponsored by Swift Springs!

I truely look forward to testing and reviewing their products! More write-ups to follow!
Cool! I don't suppose Swift makes an adjustable front swaybar, do they?

l8r)
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

I do not believe it is adjustable - soon as I have them in my hands Ill put up some photos of them. However, front is 18% stiffer and rear is 20% stiffer than OE. These are a matched pair and matched to the springs. This is a total package. I really look forward to driving on these!

And I just spoke with Jim (IndyEvo) about the sway bars. If you already have Swift Springs contact him (by Sunday) via PM and he will fill you in on a great deal to get your hands on Swift bars.

Last edited by Smike; Apr 9, 2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Some exciting news: I was put into contact thanks to Jim (IndyEvo) with some awesome people over at Swift Springs about doing more testing of sway bars. And I am very proud to say - I am now sponsored by Swift Springs!

Nice! Hasn't been too much feedback on them yet so we'll all be anxiously awaiting your review.

Congrats.

- Andrew
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Andrew!
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Grattan HPDE Track Day on Swifts Sport Springs and Bilstein HD struts

Here is my much anticipated track day review of the Swifts and HD struts! This was a HPDE for the Michigan Volkswagen Enthusiasts Club. I was stuck into Intermediate for the day, which was a bit too slow for me. But with 3 passing zones I was able to get some really good laps in.

Otter (Rob) with his RalliArt made it out for his first track day. I was able to be his instructor for the event. Let me tell you – for being the first time out on a track he was a very quick learner and knows his car extremely well. By the 2nd session he was quickly becoming the fastest in his group. Very cool!

Setup and Conditions

The track conditions were a bit wet and cold – drizzle and 40-45 degrees all day. I ran my full tread 245/45/17 Dunlop Z1s at 36 cold psi all around. Brake pads: Hawk HT10 up front and HPS rear. Using an infrared temperature gun, I recorded 580-620 F in the fronts and 240-400 F in the rear - well within the heat ranges. Note: Brake ducts were closed for this event.

My GPS recorded a top speed of 119.99 on the straight. I think I have to upgrade the software. I was in 5th for a few of the laps. Something close to 130-138 range. Heavy clouds could have confused the signal also. Sadly, I also did not get any pace information from the unit. The video camera also decided to not place nice. Best we could get was 2 laps; first lap is the standing start up to turn 11 on the second run – right before the straight – grrr.

Lapping

Let me tell you – and I am being completely honest here. The car felt just awesome throughout the day. I have raced this track in the past on another setup and this by far has been the best setup yet. I was able to take and stick to quicker lines more so than any car there. Even in the rain. From the video we are seeing 1:56 for a first/second lap time with traffic and *cold* tires (not they could warm up given the temp and wet). I am very sure that there were much lower times but without the GPS or video data – I cannot say. So that just means I’ll have to go back and run the track again! Geee, twist my arm.

For those you have not been to Grattan, this is one of the faster and more fun tracks in Michigan. GingerMan is rather flat and boring and Waterford Hills is an awesome experience of dedication to the line.

Back to Grattan:

Turn 3 is an off-camber corkscrew, think mini-Laguna Seca here. Between 4 and 5 is the hump – the trick for speed here is to use the downhill and gearing to rocket over it; making the hump a jump. So it’s a quick up-shift into 4th at WOT, unload the suspension on the hump, then brake like there is no tomorrow (or reasonably as much as the rain would let me). 8 is the bowl – come in high, which was hard for most cars out there to stick to after turn 7, and to drop in at about 40mph and push out of the turn. Turn 9 is a long sweeper that is off-camber and pushes the car to the outside. It was somewhat slick in the middle of the turn; so I up-shifted early into 4th and rode through the turn until I could use more power. Turn 11 is a blind apex that leads into 12. Turn 12 is attacked like Chicago on Top Gear - all in and flat out. On a dry day I can hit this out of 3rd and hard into 4th, easily using 5th in the straight.

Video Analysis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GBEGRIux5Q

Big thanks to Rob (Otter) for letting me borrow the camera and for putting this up online.

In the car with me is a school friend of mine. Funny to hear parts of the conversation – he was feeling a bit pale at the start of the run. But he’s a trooper – pulled through 20 minutes. In the first lap I maxed out 4th gear (7800ish RPM) and hit 5th for a bit. Matt asked how fast we just went. When I looked down it was 130. My guess is 130-something. “140ish” is what I told him – then he soon mentioned that he was feeling a bit off. Humm…don’t know why.

I was running the advanced line through the S turns (5-6-7). I was not able to run that line last season on my old setup. That right there really impressed me. Last season I would have to take a different line to keep the car settled. But now I can really cook through the turns.

Overall

Super impressed! I had many of the VW drivers coming over to find out what I was running that allowed me to fly even in the wet. Many thanks to the Swift/HD combo! They were really amazed that I am running 269 lbs front springs and 319 lbs rears on Bilstein HDs. Most of them were running 500+ lbs springs. And all of them said the car was a stiff daily driver. I laughed, smiled, and said that this is a very comfortable car.

I can’t wait to review the sway bars!

Cheers,
MG

Last edited by Smike; Apr 14, 2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Nice review, though!! Now let's see what they can do in the dry. What tire do you run in the dry?

l8r)

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD and Swift GSR Product Review, Comparisons, Impressions, and Comments