Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bilstein HD and Swift GSR Product Review, Comparisons, Impressions, and Comments

Old Apr 6, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Bilstein HD and Swift GSR Product Review, Comparisons, Impressions, and Comments

Bilstein HD and Swift Sport GSR Product Review, Comparisons, Impressions, and Comments

What is more fun than flying around town in an Evo? Well, few things come to mind, but really – there are not that many that can compare to the raw, unadulterated, ear-to-ear grin that you get from driving an Evolution.

Now, I know what most of you are thinking - more power (insert Tim Allen grunt here). But to go with power you need control. Brakes help too.

To handle the control part, I have experienced a few different setups. OEM KYB’s, Megan Track 12k/10k coil-over’s, Swift Sport GSR springs on stock struts, and finally - Swift Sport GSR springs on Bilstein HD struts. More about those in a second.

Little bit about me: I am a real person, in that, I drive a lot (85k on an 05). She now sees all weather events (rain, snow, slush, heat, humidity, salt…). And I am a track addict, straight-line is fun in all, but the turns are where nirvana is. So I need a car that can give me daily livability and also track happiness. I have run all the Michigan tracks. Personally, I like to call Waterford Hills my personal favorite.

Back to the suspensions: I am speaking from first hand experiences here, observations, and comparisons. I will have track runs to compare to as soon as the season starts back up. Fear not – I will be updating this thread when I have that information for everyone. Please use my thoughts and findings as you see fit. And please by all means, if you have a question that I didn’t cover – ask! I will be happy to reply back.

Getting us started, thanks you Andrew at GTWorx for assisting me in picking and pairing a great combination of parts.

http://www.gtworx.com/catalog/index.php

And huge thanks to Andrew of flightlinephotography.net for taking the awesome action and still shots!

www.flightlinephotography.net

For this review, I will not be talking about the OEM. Everyone has that – no need to recover it. More importantly, I never raced on the stock suspension – only drag raced.

Megan Tracks 12k/10k

EDIT/UPDATE: Well after writing this, and the lack of people reading past the first post. I recant the statement below. The Swift/Bilstein and GTWorx/Bilstein combinations are superior to the Megan products in every way. They are matched for the struts, better quality product, and have better tolerances (aka dampening is well known). After seeing the Megan product apart, finding out they have no information on their valving, total lack of revavling, and that the shock cartridge is the same as the one for a Subaru - I no longer recommend anything below a properly setup KW3 for coilovers. And my first recommendation is for one of the above spring/strut combinations. (Sponsorship aside, I am here to help people get their cars setup right the first time. Not waste their money. I would not represent the people I do if I felt otherwise).

Downsides: very stiff – can led to internal bleeding, irritability, and nagability (girlfriends, wives, family members, pets…). Michigan winters are very harsh, with lots of snow and road salt. I didn’t want to expose the car to the elements and I did have a winter car for a few seasons. No information on their valving, total lack of revavling, and that the shock cartridge is the same as the one for a Subaru

Swift Spring Rates:
Swift Sports: F: 179 (helper section) 269 (main rate), R: 207 (helper section) 319 (main rate) (157-314 for MR). -1.4, -0.8 drop.
Swift Sports MR: F: 179 (helper section) 269 (main rate), R: 157 (helper section) 314 (main rate). -1.4, -0.66 drop.
Swift Spec Rs: F: 157 (helper section) 358 (main rate), R: 196 (helper section) 380 (main rate). -1.4, -0.8 drop.
Swift Spec Rs MR: F: 157 (helper section) 358 (main rate), R: 153 (helper section) 380 (main rate). -1.4, -0.66 drop.
(Stock(USDM): 180 lb/in (3.2k), 225 lb/in (4.0k). No drop.)

Swift GSR on KYB struts

My stock struts had 50k on them before going back on to them. The car reacted well to the new springs. Unfortunately, the struts where a bit long-in-the-tooth and did not make it far. After 10k of street driving they lost the will to be struts. So my experience is limited with them.

Downsides: dead struts. Stiffer than some may wish for.

Swift GSR on Bilstein HD struts

Now, what everyone is here for. So far, these have been the best street friendly suspension that I have run on yet. I honestly and earnestly look forward to getting some serious track time on them. But even in spirited street driving around town and those local fun twisty type roads these have been nothing short of great. The ride is stiff but not as stiff as the KYB’s and most definitely not as stiff as the Megan’s. Car does not become upset and you have the tactile feel of response and control.

Downsides: none. Need track time on them for more information.

Swift GSR/Bilstein compared to OEM MR

Today I had the chance to meet up with Andrew (A2EvoMR) and trade cars for a few. We are very closely setup here. Close in power, very similar brakes, and the same tires.

Some things that I noticed between the two cars: the MR’s suspension in total is softer than my setup. Riding over road breaks and imperfections (aka potholes) the MR’s suspension takes up most of the slack here. The car was very smooth and felt great. In my car you will feel those breaks and joints.

Andrew can come in and give his comments from the other side of the coin.

Photos of the HDs and Swifts Installed

Overall

So far I am very happy with the current setup. They have reacted well in street driving and I know they will do well on the track. I highly recommend these setup to anyone who daily drives and wants a good track ready suspension.

If I had to scale in order of stiffness, I would have to say: Megan’s, KYB’s with Swifts, HD’s with Swifts, OEM, MR. I will be updating this thread with more experiences in the future. And video when available.

Some Action Shots and Stills

Happy Racing,

MG

Last edited by Smike; Jun 27, 2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 08:51 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up!

I will agree that when I added my MR Bilsteins and swift springs it was an amazing improvement. Very nice and compliant on the street and yet nicely balanced for the track.

Have you just done the rear bar or the front as well?

Did you go with the AMS alignment?

If I were not selling my car I would never have taken mine off. Probably one of the best mods I did

They are for sale if anyone wants a set
Old Apr 6, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you!

No sway aftermarket sway bars yet. I am going to run Grattan then decide if the car needs it. If I do I will be looking at the Swift Sway as it is matched to the springs. I find that playing with the tire pressures did wonders for the Megan Tracks. So I hope to have similar luck on this suspension.

Alignment is at -1.6f/-1.3r and zero tow.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

There's something blue in that back window.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Great review on these suspension setups...might help me make up my mind a little better when it comes time. How do you like the Z1's? I was deciding between them and the 615's, and am probably going to go with the ladder. I've heard great things about them but for an 18 inch tire it's really getting up there in price, and that's where the 615's will be a better choice for me.

Car looks great too...Andrew knows how to shoot.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Did you purchase the HD's through GTWorx? I bought my Swifts through GTWorx. I would defiantly give them further business but I don't see the HD's listed on their website.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MikSchultzy
There's something blue in that back window.
Special thanks to Mike for letting me borrow the harness.

Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle
Great review on these suspension setups...might help me make up my mind a little better when it comes time. How do you like the Z1's? I was deciding between them and the 615's, and am probably going to go with the ladder. I've heard great things about them but for an 18 inch tire it's really getting up there in price, and that's where the 615's will be a better choice for me.

Car looks great too...Andrew knows how to shoot.
Z1s > 615s. Hands down in terms of feel and grip. So far treadwear has been much better also. 615s lasted me a summer.

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
Did you purchase the HD's through GTWorx? I bought my Swifts through GTWorx. I would defiantly give them further business but I don't see the HD's listed on their website.
Yes - Contact Andrew at GTWorx for pricing
Old Apr 7, 2008, 03:38 AM
Former Sponsor

That was an awesome write up Thank you for taking the time to do this for the community as I'm still neck deep in work and other projects now. Indy
Old Apr 7, 2008, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

Are also going to test bilstein with ESPELIR ACTIVE GT?

Last edited by frenchy99; Apr 7, 2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 04:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice writeup! Glad to see everything came together so well....it really feels good seeing reviews like this where the suspension just works.

Bilstein HDs are out at Bilstein USA for around a month, but I will get a hold of them today to get an update for everyone. Really sucks that they start getting popular.....and then sell out for a long time.

I'll also be making a thread today as we finally got around to doing our GTWorx springs + Bilstein HD + Whiteline rear swaybar install. But that's another thread.

- Andrew
Old Apr 7, 2008, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
That was an awesome write up Thank you for taking the time to do this for the community as I'm still neck deep in work and other projects now. Indy
Thank you! I hope people can find it helpful in their modification process.

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Nice writeup! Glad to see everything came together so well....it really feels good seeing reviews like this where the suspension just works.
Thanks again for your help!
Old Apr 7, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Thank you! I hope people can find it helpful in their modification process.

Thanks again for your help!

Are you also going to test bilstein with espelir ACTIVE GT?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by frenchy99
Are you also going to test bilstein with espelir ACTIVE GT?
Sorry, I will not be testing those.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Couple of questions for you:

Are you using the normal Swift springs, or are you using the Spec-R springs?
Also, do you really feel that the OEM (KYB) setup is the softest?
And by 'softest', is that based on body roll, or ride harshness?

Thanks for posting (and linking) the review.

l8r)
Old Apr 7, 2008, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

i have the same setup and wouldnt sell it for anything! its so smooth over bumps and esp as my dd. my friend who had tein ss with the edfc sold eveything for bilsteins with swift springs after riding in my car. the drop is not too low where u will be bottoming out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bilstein HD and Swift GSR Product Review, Comparisons, Impressions, and Comments