Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best shocks for autocross?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2008, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best shocks for autocross?

I have an evo 8 now and I've been driving it stock with street tires in mostly autocross. I want to stay in the stock class and if I am correct the shocks are allowed to be upgraded. Which shocks would suit me best?
I was first stuck between Bilstein and Ohlins, I dont see my self upgrading from these in awhile, next class I can get springs but I dont plan to go there or at least not for some time. So I choose ohlins in this case. Then Moton Clubsport Dampers came across my screen. Would anyone suggest these? Can I even use these or b/c of the design will they bump me out of the stock class?
Ohlins or Moton?

anyone riding on either?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would contact robispec and see what they can recommend for you.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

A certain somebody tells me he likes JRZ the most.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by JDMCT9MR
I would contact robispec and see what they can recommend for you.
I know there good but im pretty sure it will throw me out of my wanted class.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Bilsteins are great- I have a set for sale right now with the Works lowering springs (20% stiffer than stock) for $600- check out my thread if you are interested:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=351687
Old Jun 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyevo9
I know there good but im pretty sure it will throw me out of my wanted class.
You should go to the Motorsports forum and ask our few AS competitors what they run. We have VERY few Evos trying to compete in AS, because we are severely outmatched and because it's no fun not being able to have even basic mods that make the Evo so much more fun to own and drive.

Are you sure you want to go that route? Here are the disadvantages I see:
- Hopelessly outclassed no matter what you do
- Must run big slicks to be competitive while stuffing them on stock-sized rims (275/40-17)
- Almost no power mods, which means other 99% of the time you drive the car it will be like a caged lion
- You can only do shocks, which is something you would ONLY do in SCCA AS (and I believe SCCA T2), but you wouldn't do it any other time on a regular Evo, because our springs are a big weak point.

If you do STU, then you get to keep street tires while adding some proper coilovers and plenty of power mods, although still no boost increase and have to keep a cat.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You should go to the Motorsports forum and ask our few AS competitors what they run. We have VERY few Evos trying to compete in AS, because we are severely outmatched and because it's no fun not being able to have even basic mods that make the Evo so much more fun to own and drive.

Are you sure you want to go that route? Here are the disadvantages I see:
- Hopelessly outclassed no matter what you do
- Must run big slicks to be competitive while stuffing them on stock-sized rims (275/40-17)
- Almost no power mods, which means other 99% of the time you drive the car it will be like a caged lion
- You can only do shocks, which is something you would ONLY do in SCCA AS (and I believe SCCA T2), but you wouldn't do it any other time on a regular Evo, because our springs are a big weak point.

If you do STU, then you get to keep street tires while adding some proper coilovers and plenty of power mods, although still no boost increase and have to keep a cat.
wow good point, I guess Ill do STU then, what kind of mods can and can't I have in that class? Also, is it a good class to be competitive in?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, it's a great class for Evos. Evos, STIs, and M3s dominate. You'll have to read up on the rules to know everything that is allowed, but a good place to start is the STU build thread in the Motorsports forum. That's where this stuff is discussed at a detailed level, not in the suspension forum so much.

The main thing is you can have a full suspension, 140 UTQG or higher street tires (Direzza Z1 or RE-01R), stock boost, a cat, 245 maximum width tires, etc.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 08:36 PM

would I be allowed to run ur "warrtalon BR" kit if I go with the cat and keep stock boost level or is there a part in there I cant run?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Damn, I'm not sure - be sure to ask the guys in the Motorsports forum. HFC and stock boost are for sure, but the rest should be fun (not much else to it).
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Penske T2 setup
Old Jun 24, 2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by ustcc evo
Penske T2 setup
what?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

T2 is the SCCA road racing class where Evos fit and are restricted to near-stock mods. He is referring to the Penske shocks you'd use in that class, I assume. I highly doubt that is the route you want to take, but you did ask for the "best."

Dave is a pro racer who has done much for the Evo.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

I've had lots of good help

Sounds like you have the budget for something nice...you can ask robi about a set that may get parted out from a race car no longer being used in T2. I have no idea what they would sell for or if they are for sale, but if I had the $$$, I'd make a phone call.

Triple Moton, Triple JRZ, triple adjustable KW, triple adjustable KONI (custom only) can all be good if you order your own valving and are all around the same price. Their performance will depend more on how you set them up than which you buy.

Here's the problem. With stock springs, you really have to mess up the shocks to make up for the soft springs if you want to get that last few percent, and the car will handle well but will be, and will feel handicapped. When you get tired of it and want the car to handle well with the right springs, you may have to make some changes to the valving and/or shock bodies to accomodate standard coilover springs.

Also, I'm not familiar with stock autox rules, but if you can't modify the geometry front and rear you will never be able to get the car to feel as good as an Evo can. For me staying out of T2/Stock Class was a matter of wanting the car to feel right as well as go fast, but thats just my preference. Some of the whiteline stuff is great, and Robi can set you up with all the custom stuff from many race cars if you get to that.

Last edited by ustcc evo; Jun 24, 2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by ustcc evo
I've had lots of good help

Sounds like you have the budget for something nice...you can ask robi about a set that may get parted out from a race car no longer being used in T2. I have no idea what they would sell for or if they are for sale, but if I had the $$$, I'd make a phone call.

Triple Moton, Triple JRZ, triple adjustable KW, triple adjustable KONI (custom only) can all be good if you order your own valving and are all around the same price. Their performance will depend more on how you set them up than which you buy.

Here's the problem. With stock springs, you really have to mess up the shocks to make up for the soft springs if you want to get that last few percent, and the car will handle well but will be, and will feel handicapped. When you get tired of it and want the car to handle well with the right springs, you may have to make some changes to the valving and/or shock bodies to accomodate standard coilover springs.

Also, I'm not familiar with stock autox rules, but if you can't modify the geometry front and rear you will never be able to get the car to feel as good as an Evo can. For me staying out of T2/Stock Class was a matter of wanting the car to feel right as well as go fast, but thats just my preference. Some of the whiteline stuff is great, and Robi can set you up with all the custom stuff from many race cars if you get to that.
I'm actually gonna go with STU, the reason I wanted to go with stock was since my last car was a GTI which I raced in the stock class with only tires and Koni shocks and it was a blast. This should be the time to step it up, Ill read more into STU, most likely I'm gonna go with Robi, heard nothing but awesome things. Anyone got recommendations on a setup for STU?

Quick Reply: Best shocks for autocross?