Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

STANCE / DBA / Whiteline - front suspension setup for Auto X

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2008, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ustcc evo
The reason this topic is so confusing is that we are neglecting the effect of roll center on a macpherson strut suspension.

Some people say a bigger rear bar/spring takes dynamic load off the front and puts it on the rear, reducing understeer. This is correct.

Some people say a bigger front bar/spring reduces understeer as well. This is correct as well, but ONLY IF YOUR CAR IS LOWERED TOO MUCH. Lowering a strut too much makes the lower control arm get into a bad angle, usually near horizontal and above, which lowers the front roll center relative to the center of gravity, making the front tires doing more work and making the rear lift like a beer drinking dog.

Stiffening up the front masks the problem by reducing roll and limiting how bad the angle gets on the front lower control arm.

So, if you put a stiff bar on the front and it understeers less, it means you have unfavorable geometry in the front and need to buy a roll center correction kit or make them custom like I do.
Thanks for clearing that up. I need to pickup a roll center correction kit and some additional bushings and then I'll decide on roll bars. Coilovers in NJ/NYC = bad idea, they still have cobble stone streets in the city too...
Old Aug 10, 2008, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Is the Roll correction kit something that can be done DIY?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ItalyIX
Is the Roll correction kit something that can be done DIY?
Yes it can, but if your are asking the question I'd recommend getting a premade kit and have a competent shop install it for you.