Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

My massive suspension question brain dump...pls. pic off a question or two!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO, skip the swaybars for now....you can always add them later.

The roll center kit as others have said is nice, but not necessary. Especially with our springs mild 20mm drop. I would also consider holding off on this.

Doing things in stages is worthwhile IMO. Get a feel for each modification as you do them instead of throwing everything on at once and not being sure what made the difference.

Plus, I get the feeling you would be pretty happy with just Bilstein + GTWorx springs, so you might just call it a day after that. OR...it might give you the suspension bug and you'll be adding camber plates, swaybars, poly bushings, roll center kits, selling body parts, etc.

Bilstein HD's are similar to Bilstein MR's, but feel like they have a little more low speed (piston velocity, not vehicle) damping. This is a good thing.

I would recommend doing the front and rear sway bars together for you since you don't want to increase oversteer. I believe the front bar is worthwhile, but yes it's a PITA to install and might be another reason to hold off on the bars until you're sure you want them. Coilovers or struts and springs will be not too much trouble to install with a friend.

You're gonna want around -2 degrees camber up front for the street. A little less is okay too. Zero toe front and rear. -1.5-ish rear camber will be good for what you want.

Bilsteins are rebuildable fairly cheaply stateside if you need to.

I think everyone else offered some good points for you, let me know if i missed anything.

So i think this is good plan:

stage 1:
springs + struts

stage 2:
swaybars front and rear
roll center kit (might as well do it with the front bar install)

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Nov 6, 2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give Robi a call. 1200 for his basic suspension package which includes:

Custom spec springs (f/r)
26mm rear sway bar, 4 position adjustable
trailing arm bushings
rear bump steer bushings
precision laser alignment

The only thing would be getting Robert to install and tune your suspension. He does travel if there are enough people interested in your area so its worth a shot.

you can add on other things to it down the road such as:

front sway bar +$400
front roll center kit + $300
steering precision kit +$390(installed)
Front bump steer +$390
25mm RobiSpec front sway bar +250 (385 installed)
adjustable endlinks + $105
Old Nov 8, 2008, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

What would be the suggested sway bar sizes F/R for my w/ the HD Bilstein Strut and GTWORX Spring combo? One that would reduce body roll but not hurt droop travel too much and make the car neutral (I do not want and AutoX setup promoting oversteer.)
Old Nov 9, 2008, 06:10 PM
Former Sponsor

I like the Whiteline 26mm front and 24mm rear....nice and neutral. Rear is adjustable. I don't like the huge 25mm and 27mm rear bars.

The Swift bars are a little softer and very good, but a lot more money. Non adjustable.

- Andrew
Old Nov 9, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

I hear the swift bars can use the OEM mounts/bushings...thus helping for fitment/clearance and keeping squeaks down. Is there any truth to that? Do the whiteline products require aftermarket anything for install? Are they more prone to fitment and squeak issues?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Swift sways come with new bushings. The OE would be too big for them.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 07:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Yup, Whiteline comes with new poly bushings and Swift comes with their own bushings. Smike, are the Swift bushings poly or rubber? Rubber will be quieter but is a little softer. Use some teflon tape and plenty of grease when installing poly sway bar bushings.

You won't need anything else with either of them.

- Andrew
Old Nov 9, 2008, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, whoops, then I am mistaken...I guess u were saying about the swifts then SmikeEvo, was that they do require new bushings, but because the swifts use stronger/denser metal they can me made to OEM size and are less likely to rub or have fitment issues?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Rubber.

Yep, Swifts come with new bushings. Stronger, less dense materials. Didn't put them on a scale, but their diameter is less.

No rubbing/fitment issues.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

I figured I'd give some feedback on the SmikeEvo suspension setup (HD Bilsteins, Swift Sport Springs, Swift front and rear sways) since he was nice enough to meet up and give me a ride a let me pummel him with questions for an hour today.

....to sum it up in one word-> AWESOME!

It is exactly what I am looking for....

It rode like stock, or perhaps a smidge better over sharper bumps and it felt incredible in the corners. Unnerving in that I wasn't driving () but the fact that the car was riding on all seasons combined with the corner entry speeds were unreal.... That car would smoke my stock IX SE in the corners even with Summer tires (Advans) in a heart beat.

I don't believe I would run over 255s so the HD Bilsteins will do the trick. (SmikeEvo stated the downside is when u want to put some ~real~ steamrollers on the car, going over 255s would rub on the suspension)

I want to thank SmikeEvo for taking time out of his wknd to let a stranger into his car.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bster13
I figured I'd give some feedback on the SmikeEvo suspension setup (HD Bilsteins, Swift Sport Springs, Swift front and rear sways) since he was nice enough to meet up and give me a ride a let me pummel him with questions for an hour today.

....to sum it up in one word-> AWESOME!

It is exactly what I am looking for....

It rode like stock, or perhaps a smidge better over sharper bumps and it felt incredible in the corners. Unnerving in that I wasn't driving () but the fact that the car was riding on all seasons combined with the corner entry speeds were unreal.... That car would smoke my stock IX SE in the corners even with Summer tires (Advans) in a heart beat.

I don't believe I would run over 255s so the HD Bilsteins will do the trick. (SmikeEvo stated the downside is when u want to put some ~real~ steamrollers on the car, going over 255s would rub on the suspension)

I want to thank SmikeEvo for taking time out of his wknd to let a stranger into his car.
My pleasure

And with the 255s - there is plenty of r-comps in that size to run

Last edited by Smike; Nov 9, 2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:50 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm tellin ya....it feels better then a lot of coilovers out there.

Good job Smike.

- Andrew
Old Nov 10, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
I'm tellin ya....it feels better then a lot of coilovers out there.

Good job Smike.

- Andrew
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

I've placed my order for the HD Bilsteins. I've also ordered the GTWORX Springs and Whiteline 26f/24r adjustable sway bars!!!!

Now I just need a shop who can install the front sway bar. (U think any old mechanic could do it?)
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

^ PM your email and i'll get you a good set of instructions for the shop to go by.

- Andrew

Quick Reply: My massive suspension question brain dump...pls. pic off a question or two!!!