Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

OEM Brembo Makeover

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Julian
Ill try that, I got some rattle can clear.
hey try some catalyst lacquer in a rattle can, works wonders as a clear coat.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just an update on my project...I followed some advice and attempted to apply some clear coat over the stickers and paint. Well the clear coat had some weird reaction with the paint and acted as a paint stripper. I have scrapped the painting project and decided to powdercoat the calipers flat black.I will post pics when done..
Old Feb 8, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Julian
just an update on my project...I followed some advice and attempted to apply some clear coat over the stickers and paint. Well the clear coat had some weird reaction with the paint and acted as a paint stripper. I have scrapped the painting project and decided to powdercoat the calipers flat black.I will post pics when done..
that suxs. i am also doing the powder coat but gloss black with the red brembo matches the car well
Old Feb 8, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

powerdercoating them black would be the best IMHO (compared to red). I believe they were powerdercoated red from the factory, not normal paint.

The nice thing about powerdercoating them black is you won't get brownbo's or blackbo's because they are already black - lol.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 02:14 PM

looks good
Old Feb 8, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by funks
powerdercoating them black would be the best IMHO (compared to red). I believe they were powerdercoated red from the factory, not normal paint.

The nice thing about powerdercoating them black is you won't get brownbo's or blackbo's because they are already black - lol.
OEM is only paint, it came right off with home grade paint stripper. Powdercoat would never come off like that.Brembo uses only paints.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Just an update, decided to powdercoat red...Just got it back from the powdercoaters, what do you guys think??

J/K
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:29 PM
Former Sponsor

----LoL----
Old Feb 13, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you are going to powdercoat them, obviously you have to rebuild them too. that's not a bad thing either, as long as you do it right. there was a mailorder PC and rebuild company around back in my 240 with Z32 brake days that had reasonable prices, but I cant remember the website. either way as long as you're thorough its not that hard or expensive
Old Feb 14, 2009, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
if you are going to powdercoat them, obviously you have to rebuild them too. that's not a bad thing either, as long as you do it right. there was a mailorder PC and rebuild company around back in my 240 with Z32 brake days that had reasonable prices, but I cant remember the website. either way as long as you're thorough its not that hard or expensive
Yeah, rebuilding them is pretty simple. 2 Seals and 2 dustboots for the fronts. one seal and one dustboot on the rear...Simple
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:24 AM

pics on the car?
Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:25 PM

looks good
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Ok got them back from the powdercoaters. Decided on a Satin black. I wanted to go flat black, but he said the finish would not be perfect. I am not 100% with my choice and the finish the way they came out, but Im tired of messing with these brakes. And I know the powdercoat is more durable than the OEM paint.

I got the Rebuild kit on the way from Girodisc Thanks guys!! Not one Mitzsu dealer had the kits in stock..But Girodisc did!!

I also decided to do the valve cover and strut bar, Ill post pics of that when its all done.

Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Before:

After powdercoat:

Now if someone would buy my workemotion wheels so I can get some flat black ones, Im in business!!