Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Megan Coilovers bad in less than 12 months

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan Coilovers - Headaches

I bought a set of Megan Street Coilovers for my Evo 8 last year. It's been less than 12 months since I've had them, and already they're going out on me. The rears keep rattling and one of the front ones is contantly popping and has some play in the main shaft. The dampner knobs on top of 2 of the coilovers has become stuck and basically they all need to be replaced. Megan says they have a 1 yr warranty anyone successfully had them replace them for you? I'll be contacting Megan this afternoon to see what their going to offer me. Even if they do replace them for me, I'm going with a different coilover this time around I don't want to run into this issue every year. Probably going to go with the Tein basics, we'll see.

Last edited by sdfontanini; Jul 17, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get some Robispecs and call it a day
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Damn what kind of roads do you drive on. I have no experience with the Megans though I have had BC's (Makers of Megan and many other well known coilovers) BR series on my car for 60k+ of NJ and PA roads. They just started to get a little worn. I called BC and ordered 4 new shock cartridges for $380.

Now thats a kick *** bargain

PS: Do not get the Tein Basics you will not be happy. Buddy had them on his Mazda 6 and I had the SS's on my Teg. Both garbage. Megans I'm sure are far superior.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

If megan replaces anything for you pm me please.

I have a set of track coilovers....11 months old. The car was parked this winter and only has maybe 1,500 miles on the suspension...and my driver side is shot.

I contacted Megan and the rep said...."we don't warranty anything that is that old"...I told him you have a one year warranty and he said "thats on a part breaking...the cylender seal is based on your driving."

Its ridiculous. But im interested to see what they do for you. Please pm with info.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Well the Megan rep called me and left a msg, I don't have time to talk to him today but hopefully I'll get some word back via email. I'll let you guys know what develops. Hopefully they honor their 1 yr warranty cause I've had multiple failures on all but one coilover and I'm not going to be a very happy camper if they're not willing to work with me.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

wow how is everyone having so much trouble with their megans, my galant is pretty low about 1 finger gap all around on them, I daily drive it to school, work, everything, I autocross on them, been through two winters, been up to the mountain for snowboarding on them, done a few rallicross events, and mine are still perfectly fine, no blown dampers, no creaking, no rust.
Here's pics of how low my car is, and it's been on the same coilovers for 3 years now and you can obviously see I beat the **** out of them

Old Apr 24, 2009, 07:55 PM

^Nice car.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the unfortunate reality of driving around on "budget" coilovers. The quality is simply awful. For your sake, I hope your issue is resolved.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 06:01 PM

i havnt heard to many bad things about meagan. but i guess theres always a bad apple in the bunch. hope they replace them
Old May 2, 2009, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

No problems here with Megan tracks. I did however get lower spring rates. 12kg is a bit harsh for my taste.

Coilovers in winter.................OUCH.
Old May 2, 2009, 09:09 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have installed and used many sets of both track and street series on the Evo 8-9 and never had a problem.

You would be surprised how many people do not know how to install coilovers correctly.
Old May 2, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
QUOTE=TTP Engineering;7012216]We have installed and used many sets of both track and street series on the Evo 8-9 and never had a problem.

You would be surprised how many people do not know how to install coilovers correctly.[/QUOTE]

Amen,brother.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
We have installed and used many sets of both track and street series on the Evo 8-9 and never had a problem.

You would be surprised how many people do not know how to install coilovers correctly.
Unfortunately, I fell into that group. When I first installed my Megan coilovers, I matched the length of the OEM dampers. This is a bad idea when you're looking to lower the car almost 2", because then you end up dropping the spring perches excessively and wasting valuable travel to obtain the desired ride height.

After a few weeks of bottoming out on fairly mild railroad crossings, I went back, shortened the damper housings, raised the spring perches, and magically, no more bottoming out!

I'm pretty happy with my Megan street coilovers, after two winters of street driving, several autoxes, and a few track days as well. I've put about 12,000 miles of street driving on them. I've been using much higher spring rates than were intended for them too - I moved the 8kg/mm (447#) rear springs to the front, and substituted 600# Hypercoils in the rear.

So far, no signs of any oil leakage at all, and testing the dampers with the springs removed show that there's still plenty of internal gas pressure and resistance to compression and damping (i.e., the shock rod rebounds slowly).

I recently discovered that one of the shaft seals on the front struts is damaged though. I also need new rubber boots. I called Megan today (626-581-0988), and the rep asked me to take pictures of what's damaged and email them to Megan (alex@meganracing.com) so they can properly identify what replacement parts I need, and how much they'd charge.

I'll report back as to how it all plays out.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EGbeater
I recently discovered that one of the shaft seals on the front struts is damaged though. I also need new rubber boots. I called Megan today (626-581-0988), and the rep asked me to take pictures of what's damaged and email them to Megan (alex@meganracing.com) so they can properly identify what replacement parts I need, and how much they'd charge.

I'll report back as to how it all plays out.
Verdict: the torn shaft seal cannot be replaced w/o opening the shock and thereby depressurizing/destroying it, so the whole damper has to be replaced. Alex at Megan quoted me $115 for a replacement damper unit, and $15 for a replacement rubber boot (a bit steep), and $5 per plastic spring perch ring (absolute highway robbery) - plus the usual shipping costs.

I'll just wait until the shock blows before I replace it, seeing as how Megan apparently does not have the front dampers for the Evo in stock right now anyway.

Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Geeze, less a defective batch of bearings that Megan took care of, 99.99999% of failures are attributed to install. I've seen the same thing happen with Tien/JIC/HKS/etc. Coilovers are not like a set of springs you throw on an OE set of struts by tightening one nut. They have to be set up with proper tension and torque. Far too often, you have people bolting these on for the first time in their home garage, or at the local "Bubba" shop. Then, people wonder why they don't get the long last results that others do.

Problem is that the vast majority are not installed by those with coilover experience. EVERYTHING needs to be properly preloaded, AND torqued with the suspension AT ride height. Also, in the pamphlet that comes with every set, there are MAXIMUM and MINIMUM ride heights that MUST be adhered to.

Last edited by Zeus; Jun 23, 2009 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Megan Coilovers bad in less than 12 months