Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

rear sway bar help!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear sway bar help!!!

i bought the robispec rear sway bar and i ran into some trouble removing the stock bar. i have unbolted every part of the bar from the car but i can seem to slip the bar out from between the control arms and the axles. i feel reaaaaaaally retarded asking this but i have no idea how to get the bar out of there. any help would be awesome.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

If I remember correctly I slid it to the left or right to allow more up and down motion on the ends of the bar . It is like a puzzle

PS you did remove exhaust back there right??????

Good luck
Old May 8, 2009, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

you dont need to remove the muffler, just unbolt one of the lower control arms (i did the passenger side) and it will make it so much easier to remove the stocker and install the new one, you may or may need an alignment though if you do this, in my case i got lucky and did not need an alignment when i was all said and done.
Old May 8, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
take the muffler off so you dont have to mess with your set up,i think its only three bolts from memory
Old May 9, 2009, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

i've swapped my sway bar a bunch of times on the rear and usually i can wriggle the stock bar out without removing anything else, however going to install a larger bar i have had to drop the lower control arm on the driver's side everytime.

what i do is mark the position of the eccentric bolt where it attaches to the subframe (a permanent marker or even making a small scratch in the frame with a screw driver will do the job). then remove the bolt and let the LCA drop. that should give more than enough clearance to do what you need to do.

then to put i back in just line up the arrow on the head of the bolt with the mark you made before and put it all back together. no need to remove the muffler.

FYI i have broken several stock sway bar end links swapping the bars out. the joint in the tends not to hold up to tightening. granted i believe they are only supposed to be torqued to about 14 lb/ft, but in my experience they like to loosen up. so it's not a bad idea to consider after market end links. i have the perrin's and they have flat spots on the shank on the other side of the bolt from the nut. this lets you keep the joint still while torquing down the nut.
Old May 9, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

well boys i ended up unbolting the bolt that attaches to the bottom of my coilover to the lower control arm. unfortuneately when i put the robispec rear bar in i realized the hardware they gave me was crap and missing literally everything i needed, and didn't line up right at all. a waste of time and money.