Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire fell off rim

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually considering you auto-xed and tracked the tires without problems and so on and they were mounted in february, I don't think you're entitled to anything from that company. Obviously if they did something wrong it would have shown ages ago.

Looking at it from the perspective of the shop you're going to, you'll show up there and say "remember me, back from february when you charged me 20$ for a tire change? Yea? Well I'd like you to refund me a 500$ wheel because After 5 months the tire fell off..." Dunno, I'd prolly send you to hell if I was the shop.

Originally Posted by nightwalker
FIRST, you spent all your money on expensive rims, and didn't save any for tires. WTF??
That too.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, I don't think it has anything to do with the shop. You stated it was in Feb. You drove on it for over 3 months and went to 2 auto-x's. You installed old tires on the rim. Tire shop is not responsible for your used tire failure. If it was a mounting problem caused by the shop, your tire would be off the rim within a day of the mounting.

I think your old beat-up tire failed. It somehow lost pressure (and you didn't notice) and when you took your sharp turn @ 15mph, the tire just rolled off the rim. I'd search your tire for a nail, screw or other puncture. Maybe your valve leaked?

As someone else stated, this should be covered by your insurance.

Edit: That is s run-flat tire? Do you have a pressure monitoring system on it? If not, then you could have been driving on a flat tire for a while and not know it.

Last edited by xtnct; Jun 30, 2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
What size tires and wheels are you running? Sorry if I already missed it.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by xtnct

Edit: That is s run-flat tire? Do you have a pressure monitoring system on it? If not, then you could have been driving on a flat tire for a while and not know it.
exactly, im surprised the shop even mounted them for you without a monitoring system for this very reason
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turns out there was a nail in it so i guess i'm boned on this

on the upside, the rim still holds air and is not bent so i remounted another tire and i've been driving around on it without a single issue. going out of town for a while but when i get back, i'm gonna see if someone can repair the lip

the wheels and tires were:
volk ce28n 18 x 9.0 +35
bridgestone potenza re050a 255/35/18

probably the last time i'm gonna buy run-flats for this very reason...i like to know if there's something wrong with my tire
Old Jul 1, 2009, 01:20 AM

-snip-

double post fail

Last edited by AllydNYC; Jul 1, 2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Floyd is Pink
turns out there was a nail in it so i guess i'm boned on this

on the upside, the rim still holds air and is not bent so i remounted another tire and i've been driving around on it without a single issue. going out of town for a while but when i get back, i'm gonna see if someone can repair the lip

the wheels and tires were:
volk ce28n 18 x 9.0 +35
bridgestone potenza re050a 255/35/18

probably the last time i'm gonna buy run-flats for this very reason...i like to know if there's something wrong with my tire

lol, so you were driving on a "flat" for a while and didn't notice and performace decrease and no dragging one way?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AllydNYC
lol, so you were driving on a "flat" for a while and didn't notice and performace decrease and no dragging one way?
That would be correct for a run-flat. You will not notice something is wrong in regular putting around - that is the point of a run-flat tire. That is why you need that tire pressure monitoring system and why one should not run a run-flat tire without it.

The OP obviously noticed a performance decrease....his tire rolled off the rim! I would call that a rather significant performance decrease
Old Jul 1, 2009, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fourniers Performance in Orlando fixed a wheel for me last year (407-898-8002). They can definitely get it straight for you. I don't know about the paint though. You may have to get a body shop match the paint.

And like above, run-flat tires should only be used with proper tire monitoring system. They are only supposed to be used without sufficient air pressure for a short period of time and speed. Usually 50 miles at 55 mph, enough to get you to a tire store for a replacement.