Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

different width wheels with same width tires

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
different width wheels with same width tires

sorry if this is a weird question for you guys but I come from the vw world where this is fairly common

I know having different width wheels and tires messes up awd systems so people normally runs the same size wheels on all four corners

this also means that cars with 9's out back have some serious poke with 9s up front

could you run 8s up front and 9s out back with the same width tires to end up with the same contact patch all around and not detriment to the awd system.

What I'm talking about(flush out back, poke up front) and my car for example with 8s in front, 9s in back and 205/40s all around

Name:  TE37_12offset-11-570x380.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  37.4 KB
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The width of the wheel will impact the width of the contact patch, but the actual tire diamter will stay the same. This isn't the VW world though, we don't use words like poke. Also, why the hell do you want to use a 205 on an Evo? Stock width is 235. Also, don't do that stupid Euro stretch ****; buy a tire that actually fits the wheel.

Last edited by Kracka; Jan 26, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:09 PM

fyi poke referes to when your wheels do not fit flush with the fenders...they poke out

and I never said anything about running 205s on evos, that just happens to be a size that works for my car

obviously for an evo you would use 235/45s or 245/40s or whatever
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Also, don't do that stupid Euro stretch ****; buy a tire that actually fits the wheel.
this is not what this thread is about if you want to pm me about how dumb you think my tire sizing is feel free, it allows me to run et 20 9s on a car that normally has et 38 6s
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SLOW2.0
this is not what this thread is about if you want to pm me about how dumb you think my tire sizing is feel free, it allows me to run et 20 9s on a car that normally has et 38 6s
No need for a PM, I already made my opinion perfectly clear in this thread
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:19 PM

perfect, anyone else?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SLOW2.0
perfect, anyone else?
Nope, I'm good. I think I did honestly answer your question though regarding the contact patch and diameter though so beyond that to each their own!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:42 PM

I saw that, but I'm still wondering if anyone has run a setup similar to what I described and what if any were the effects on the car
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Running a wider tire (or wheel) in the rear should lead to more contact patch and more understeer.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Be careful when you mention anything having to do with the "s" word (stretch) or much of anything having to do with typical VW style around here, people seem to immediately take offense for some reason. Anyway, if you really want the big dish rear wheel look I'd suggest going with staggered offsets instead of staggered widths. Even though you're running the same size tire stretching it will reduce its overall diameter causing longevity issues with the Evo's AWD drivetrain. Some 3-piece wheels (ex: Work's) can also be had with different curved spokes allowing you to run a wheel that will clear the brakes in the front and since you don't need the same clearance have a bigger dish/lip in the rear which should also accomplish the look I think you're going for.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the thing with the AWD system and wheels/tires are the tire circumference (distance around the outside of the tire). you're supposed to run the same wheel/tire combo to achieve the "perfect" tire circumference. if you put the same size tire on staggered width rims, the tire that is on the wider one (which will probably be stretched a little) will have a smaller circumference as the other wheels.

i run 18x9 +29 RGIIs with 255/35/18 and they're pretty flush. I would suggest running 18x9.5 with a low offset and you can do 245s that will be a little stretched. my friend has it and it looks great

of course, there are people who get away with running staggered width wheels and/or tires...but these are guys who race and don't do it on a daily basis. lol
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matching Tires on Four-Wheel Drive And All-Wheel Drive Vehicles
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:29 AM

I followed the link you posted and tirerack said that a dif as small as 2/32 in tire wear could have an impact on the vehicles awd system. That being said I suppose same size tires on dif width wheels would also be enough to have a negative impact on the car.

As for stretch it is functional for my car as it allows me to run the wheels I like and still be low. It is not ideal for handling but neither is having the control arms pointed at the sky. I don't road race or autocross my car so its not a concern.

Thanks for the help guys
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sscottttt
Be careful when you mention anything having to do with the "s" word (stretch) or much of anything having to do with typical VW style around here, people seem to immediately take offense for some reason. Anyway, if you really want the big dish rear wheel look I'd suggest going with staggered offsets instead of staggered widths. Even though you're running the same size tire stretching it will reduce its overall diameter causing longevity issues with the Evo's AWD drivetrain. Some 3-piece wheels (ex: Work's) can also be had with different curved spokes allowing you to run a wheel that will clear the brakes in the front and since you don't need the same clearance have a bigger dish/lip in the rear which should also accomplish the look I think you're going for.
+1.
Either run some staggered offsets, use spacers up front, or do some fender rolling to make things fit.

You've got some safe options here.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:46 AM

Spacers up front would actually create more poke, rolling the fenders certainly helps you not rub if you are low but you still need the right tire sizes and offsets

Running lower et wheels up front is one solution

What offsets are you guys running on your 9s and 9.5s to make them fit well?

Quick Reply: different width wheels with same width tires