Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clutch Master Cylinder Resevoir??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Master Cylinder Resevoir??

Here's the story:

Last year while running the autocross, I had MAJOR brake fade. Afterwards, I decided to get some DOT 4 brake fluid and bleed the system. At the time I was pretty busy with school and work so I didnt have time to go back to the autocross, but I noticed my clutch enguagement point started moving further and furthur down during fast shifting. During a span of about two months I had re-adjusted the clutch about 4 times, each time adjusting from the floor back to the middle as per my driving preference, when the clutch started slipping. However, ever after I installed the new clutch the enguagement point was still inconsistant during quick shifting.

*Bad clutch master cylinder* But why?

Doing some research I found that DOT 4 is not supposed to be used in the clutch master cylinder as it damages the seals. So now what? We only have one resevoir to pour DOT 4 in for the brakes and DOT 3 for the clutch.

Has anyone ever heard of, or tried using a seperate resevoir for the clutch master cylinder? I was out in the junkyard yesterday looking for a resevoir in any manual drive vehicle that i can find but had no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for any info.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 04:59 PM

search around i think i read on here the newer evos have two reservoirs and people are hooking that up on the evos that only have one.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Nah the EVO X's only have one resevoir as well.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have a source for the brake fluid ruining the master?

Thanks

Originally Posted by D-VO
Here's the story:

Last year while running the autocross, I had MAJOR brake fade. Afterwards, I decided to get some DOT 4 brake fluid and bleed the system. At the time I was pretty busy with school and work so I didnt have time to go back to the autocross, but I noticed my clutch enguagement point started moving further and furthur down during fast shifting. During a span of about two months I had re-adjusted the clutch about 4 times, each time adjusting from the floor back to the middle as per my driving preference, when the clutch started slipping. However, ever after I installed the new clutch the enguagement point was still inconsistant during quick shifting.

*Bad clutch master cylinder* But why?

Doing some research I found that DOT 4 is not supposed to be used in the clutch master cylinder as it damages the seals. So now what? We only have one resevoir to pour DOT 4 in for the brakes and DOT 3 for the clutch.

Has anyone ever heard of, or tried using a seperate resevoir for the clutch master cylinder? I was out in the junkyard yesterday looking for a resevoir in any manual drive vehicle that i can find but had no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Just about any mechanic will tell you DOT 4 will ruin it. I spoke with several technicians and got the same answer.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

From the shop manual.

CLUTCH BLEEDING
CAUTION
Use the specified brake fluid. Do not mix brake fluids.
Specified fluid: Brake fluid DOT 3 or DOT 4
Old Oct 20, 2010, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

dot4.
but yeah i had the same issue with the clutch. replaced the master and the slave(slave went but you have to replace both) with SS clutch lines and its been fine since. it could be bleed wrong or not enough.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
From the shop manual.

CLUTCH BLEEDING
CAUTION
Use the specified brake fluid. Do not mix brake fluids.
Specified fluid: Brake fluid DOT 3 or DOT 4
Yeah I saw that. It's just that so many techs are telling me that the DOT 4 is the problem.

Originally Posted by NJ_EveOhVIII
dot4.
but yeah i had the same issue with the clutch. replaced the master and the slave(slave went but you have to replace both) with SS clutch lines and its been fine since. it could be bleed wrong or not enough.
Do you use yours for autocrossing as well? How many miles? I trying to avoid having this problem occuring again.

Last edited by D-VO; Oct 21, 2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 01:08 PM
Former Sponsor

The First thing to do is to bleed all of the fluid again to ensure no air is in the system...The brakes and the clutch because they share the same reservoir. Dot 4 fluid will not ruin anything, it is brake fluid. I have been selling Dot 4 fluid to Evo's for a long time.

Bleeding via the 2 man system with one pumping and one bleeding is the best way.

Hope that works for you.

- Joe

P.S. I am an ASE Master Certified Technician
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:23 PM

When bleeding the clutch fluid, you need to make sure the brake resevoir is at least 90% full at all times as this can prevent you doing the clutch bleed effectively.