Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anyone else having issues with Dunlop Star Specs? And looking for other good tires..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smike again hit on the issues, I may add a third (aside from camber and pressure)... as an autox instructor I see too many folks on street tires, toss a car into a corner hard, car pushes (doesn\'t turn) and the driver then turns the wheel more... tire SQUEAL is ok for street tires, but when it turns to a screetch... that is just bad for tires, esp under inflated, under cambered cars... I am not aware of any competitive drivers that have had any issues with those tires (myself included)... I suggest giving it another try, and hitting either a local or an evolution driving school.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sscottttt
Just recently got a set of Z1s and took them to the track practically brand new full tread (100 highway miles). I didn't take it easy on them and put another 140 miles on them at the track that day and saw no pealing at all. I was really impressed with their performance and wear over the NT05s I had previously. Don't hesitate to buy these tires.
Agreed. I've done 5 track days on mine this year and they are still golden. Actually inspected them two days ago when changing pads. Quite pleased with them.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bassicfun
Smike again hit on the issues, I may add a third (aside from camber and pressure)... as an autox instructor I see too many folks on street tires, toss a car into a corner hard, car pushes (doesn\'t turn) and the driver then turns the wheel more... tire SQUEAL is ok for street tires, but when it turns to a screetch... that is just bad for tires, esp under inflated, under cambered cars... I am not aware of any competitive drivers that have had any issues with those tires (myself included)... I suggest giving it another try, and hitting either a local or an evolution driving school.
Ha, by no means am I going to say you're wrong but, just consider the fact that the guy with the 2.5 RS who is having the issue, has taken FTD at both events that he's used these tires in. Completely stock besides a header. The guy can drive something fierce!

Same goes for the other drivers.. they are all seasoned drivers, no newbs. Yes they push the tires and the car, are they " tossing a car into a corner hard, car pushes (doesn\'t turn) and the driver then turns the wheel more... tire SQUEAL" No def not.

Also, why are only the Dunlops giving these issues? Never ever seen this before in my 3 years of track slutting my EVO, never had any of the other drivers have this happen either. Just seems kinda odd to me to have chunks of a tire seperate in the middle of the tire.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I have seen it on other tires. Same reasons, drivers over doing it and/or camber/toe/pressure.

That RS stock means not a lot of camber from the factory. He is going to have the latter part of the issues I mentioned above.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:14 AM

I've been through about 10 sets of star specs (autocross only), and I've had those issues with two of them. Both were shaved sets, I've never had an issue with them at full tread actually.

In both cases with the peeling, the tires were just overworked. The last set for example was probably about the worst situation possible for a tire.
- two drivers in the same heat
- abrasive concrete
- small heat, so little cool-down time
- high ambient temps
- tried a change to the car that resulted in moderate steady-state understeer
- course had a very long sweeper (data showed 4 seconds >1g, long for an autocross)

Besides reversing the setup change we tried, we also try to avoid running in the same heat whenever possible now.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

This may be OT, so mods, feel free to move if desired.

Are the Star Specs the same from side to side? I know that they are unidirectional, but can they be rotated on the rim?

The reason that I ask is that I've been through a couple of sets of RE11s on my X. I'm still on the stock suspension, and even though I have the max neg camber that I can get (~-2 deg), I'm still wearing the heck out of the outsides of the tires. Insides are almost brand new. I'd like a trackable tire that can be rotated on the rim to equalize wear.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Good info cause I'm getting these tires soon...
Old Oct 6, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

my understanding has always been that the tread pattern is just there for disbursting water. the large connected blocks of tread are what give you the grip, so running them backwards in teh dry will have the same result as running them forward.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
my understanding has always been that the tread pattern is just there for disbursting water. the large connected blocks of tread are what give you the grip, so running them backwards in teh dry will have the same result as running them forward.
I'm not talking about running the tires backward. That won't help my problem of outside tire wear.

I want to rotate the tire on the rim, to move the inside around to the outside and vice versa.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep
I'm not talking about running the tires backward. That won't help my problem of outside tire wear.

I want to rotate the tire on the rim, to move the inside around to the outside and vice versa.
That won't work without putting them on the other side of the car on a different wheel.

<Doc Brown> You're not thinking fourth dimensionally! </Doc Brown>
Old Oct 6, 2010, 03:07 PM

I like the g-Force T/A™ KDW I have had them on ENKEI NTO3+M
+27 offset they have track time on them and they last for me for a while. I drive my car daily.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 03:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by weneversleep
This may be OT, so mods, feel free to move if desired.

Are the Star Specs the same from side to side? I know that they are unidirectional, but can they be rotated on the rim?

The reason that I ask is that I've been through a couple of sets of RE11s on my X. I'm still on the stock suspension, and even though I have the max neg camber that I can get (~-2 deg), I'm still wearing the heck out of the outsides of the tires. Insides are almost brand new. I'd like a trackable tire that can be rotated on the rim to equalize wear.
Yes, it's very common to flip them (dismount the tires and "swap them over to the otherside").