Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Coilovers with Pillow for under $2000

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by one4
ive had great experience with mueller... robi forgets to tighten stuff... just kinda throws it together. get his special clunking coils
Really well maybe your right... I mean robi didn't leave a spanner in my suspension for it to fall out after 100+ mph passes at SOW....

Have you ever had a robi suspension or are you just talking from what you hear...
Old Jan 8, 2011, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

And how can anyone hear say that their suspension is custom if even you don't know what's done to it. At least with my eibach that came custom from the company I know it's not off the shelf...
Old Jan 8, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
You and me both. 3 runs each. Same tires. Same alignment. Same driver. GPS data mapping. Camera on one front and rear spring (to see them working). Accelerometers all over the place collecting movements. IR gun to see heat across the tire (yes suspension can affect that).
I've got $50 on such a test. Maybe we could get a donation account set up.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOIXNooB
And how can anyone hear say that their suspension is custom if even you don't know what's done to it. At least with my eibach that came custom from the company I know it's not off the shelf...
Ha! That sir, is a very good point.

Secret spring rates are stupider than the Taliban.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I can turn the question around and ask you the same about your suspension, but to answer yours without posing another, Muellerized has no problem telling you what your settings are, just that you don't use his settings and R&D to go and start your own company (there is a true story behind that but I will let someone else bring it up). Of course you have to purchase his suspension to get the info, makes perfect business and common sense. I'm sure that you have heard of such overly obvious things as Universities where you have to pay to be granted access to their knowledge; the same principal applies to John's suspension. That being said, of course you can purchase or borrow a used set of suspension and have it analyzed on a shock dyno to get the information that way.

I do not understand the big discussion about NDA's, apparently not many of you are aware of how the majority of the world operates, but they are very common place. They are simply put in place to protect certain assets dependent on the application.

With the argument concerning knowing what you are getting, I agree that with a lesser known company one would have speculation, but with a well known establishment such as Muellerized, all you have to do is look at their achievements. To list a few, Muellerized suspensions or R&D rather, can be found under the Evolander, Ralliart Eclipse, Ralliart Gallant, and Ralliart Endeavor....not to mention numerous SCCA champion cars. The list goes on and so do the credentials of Muellerized.

As for issues with installations on particular setups, unfortunately, things happen. I can tell you about a specific time where a friend of mines entire front left wheel came off on the freeway after leaving Robi's shop in Apple Valley, almost ending in a horrible accident. Or with Robi installing certain ball joints upside down or using bent control arms in a customers car. The point being that I will still recommend Robi's KW lineup for people looking for a mid level setup because he also has a great product.

With all of that being said, the point of this thread is to give the OP suggestions for an entry level coilover set-up, not to bash certain shops. That being said, I do look forward to John's response to this thread

Last edited by BenJ; Jan 9, 2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Cleared up a few statements.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Please explain how you got this information seeing all real Ralli Art vehicles are designed to include suspension elsewhere...

"To list a few, Muellerized suspensions can be found under the Evolander, Ralliart Eclipse, Ralliart Gallant, and Ralliart Endeavor"
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Autoweek 2005, Sema 2006, MotorTrend March 2005, and a Tue, Nov 01, 2005 Mitsubishi news release to name a few. Muellerized did/does a lot of R&D work for Mitsubishi. While some of these models may not blatantly have a set of muellerized labeled coilovers on them in the production model, some of the settings and specs are still there, unless Mitsubishi decided to pay Muellerized a lot of money for nothing, but my money goes to the first option.

edited

Last edited by BenJ; Jan 9, 2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah well just because an opinion is solicited doesn't mean that it's some secret setup. So if I buy one of those cars then it has super duper suspension. And let's also get one thing straight...

Muellerized use to be road race chassis which was tied in with road race engineering. Mike W who owns it does a tremendous amout of work for mitsu... Doesn't mean the ralliart model he does for them is the one they produce...'but what do I know...
Old Jan 9, 2011, 01:24 AM
Evolved Member

1)Of course not everything gets carried over from concepts and R&D, recall just about every concept vehicle in existence.

2)Both Mike and John did/do a lot of work with Mitsu, but this isn't about RRE or Mike, and shouldn't be about John either.

3) Again, this thread is about coilovers that cost under $2000

Last edited by BenJ; Jan 9, 2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Really well maybe your right... I mean robi didn't leave a spanner in my suspension for it to fall out after 100+ mph passes at SOW....

Have you ever had a robi suspension or are you just talking from what you hear...
My very good friend did. He happend to work at an Evo shop at the time too. I saw with my eyes what work was done. But it cool. Mueller and robi both do good work. Consistency, no issues, and great customer service is key. Muellerized has provided me with this. I've heard great things about the kws, but they are out of the price range. I recommend the Muellerized skunk 2 setup
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

I agree this isn't about any shop. I think the coils purchased should be based off needs. 70% of people who buy coilovers don't need revalving or secret sauce setups... Figure out what you wan and take rides in as many setups as possible..
Old Jan 9, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
8k/6k spring rates are backwards?. Explain that one....
Old Jan 9, 2011, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Motion ratio from where the rear suspension is mounted to. The CT9A rear suspension is slightly inboard. Front is just about on top of the hub give it a ~1 ratio.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-your-evo.html

8k front and 6k rear would be more like 8k front / 3.697* rear.

*From Andrews thread - 0.78 MR (0.785^2)*6

The OEM is setup to combat the motion ratio also. Stock is 3.6k front and 4.8k rear. Using the same equation you get ~2.96k wheel rate (post motion ratio).

With a lower wheel rate the rear roll resistance decreases and that gives you a handling of decreasing oversteer / increasing understeer. Understeer is safer for most drivers. Pushing through rather than spinning the car. But for us, its annoying We want that rear to rotate.

You'll see this bias to the rear rate increase in GTWorx, RobiSpec, other manufactures who have done development on the chassis (Swift, Espelir, RalliArt, etc.)

Last edited by Smike; Jan 9, 2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Certainly very disappointed w/ the some of the comments posted here
Old Jan 9, 2011, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Well this is the real world... Not always daisies yet I tell NO lies ... Pm me if you want to know what's up... I'm no basher

Quick Reply: Best Coilovers with Pillow for under $2000