Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Coilovers with Pillow for under $2000

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Coilovers with Pillow for under $2000

Currently have the Tein Flex coilovers and I'm looking for something new. They have about 60k on them and I was not a big fan for DD. Give me your 2 cents! Looking at the Buddy Club Racing Spec and the KW V2's
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've read many great reviews on the v2's but have not used them myself
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
What about them do you not like?

KWs need re-springing to be right on. Their stock rates leave lots on the table to like.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
What about them do you not like?

KWs need re-springing to be right on. Their stock rates leave lots on the table to like.
This. Buying them without custom rates is like driving a 997 GT3 with 4 flat tires!

Also, do you really want pillowball mounts for a DD? You don't really need them since you can get -2 with the stock tops. Ride will be impoved too.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Jan 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know KW3's can be had SUPER low prices from a vendor here...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

i just installed a set of fortune auto 500's on my 8. i had them sprung and valved for aggressive street. i will give these coilovers 4 thumbs up. great dampening, no unusual noises. all good.
got them from MAP for $1050
Old Jan 6, 2011, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
We've had exceptional results from the Apexi N1's and S1's. Depending on how great you want the ride and how light you want the suspension will depend on which I'd recommend.

The N1's are the lightest coil overs on the market for the EVO and work very-very good. Nearly ever 9 second car we've built runs them. They ride good and perform well autocrossing.

The S1's are heavier than the N1's, ride like a dream (probably the best I've ridden in) and work excellent for autocross.

If you are interested, shoot me a PM for pricing.

For reference, I run the N1's on the Badbish and the S1's are what I ran on Project White.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I was looking for the same type / price of C/O. After a bit of research I went w/ the Muellerized Skunk Coil Overs.

Muellerized did the research on their on-site Shock Dyno & choose the Skunks as their entry level C/O.
Caution: Muellerized does not order them w/ the lopsided rates that come from Skunk. They customize the rate based on your level & use only Eibach springs.
Been on the set-up for over 1 year & have tracked them & they work
Peace
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know what type of driving you're you'll be doing, but I hear good things about the AWD Spec D2.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Muellerized did the research on their on-site Shock Dyno & choose the Skunks as their entry level C/O.
And what are those shock dyno numbers? What are their spring rates?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
And what are those shock dyno numbers? What are their spring rates?
Hello SmikeEvo: I have sent your question to Muellerized. Not sure if everyone here is familiar w/ Muellerized, but they are well respected here in So.Cal & in the nationwide racing community.

I can not disclose the rates they choose for my set-up as I have signed a non disclosure form

Muellerized would not have gone w/ the Skunk2 C/O line w/out full confidence that they work
http://www.muellerized.com/products_evo89.html

Peace
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hello SmikeEvo: I have sent your question to Muellerized. Not sure if everyone here is familiar w/ Muellerized, but they are well respected here in So.Cal & in the nationwide racing community.

I can not disclose the rates they choose for my set-up as I have signed a non disclosure form

Muellerized would not have gone w/ the Skunk2 C/O line w/out full confidence that they work
http://www.muellerized.com/products_evo89.html

Peace
Exactly my point. The CT9A is well known, why are they still doing the non-disclosure. I would never buy into that.

I have seen a few emails from that shop and I am well less than impressed. And at some of their comments, frankly dismayed. Tidbits - they claimed the Z1* were "junk and not real tires" and they didn't know the difference between the Swift Sport and SpecR springs -- and this is just from what people have run by me.

For suspensions - I recommend GTWorx and RobiSpec.

Last edited by Smike; Jan 8, 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

I find it funny how there are the same comments made each time this topic comes up. You've got Buschur, who knows a thing or two about fast cars, saying the $1,150 Apexi's are plenty good. The next post will be that the D2's are great followed by someone saying that the BC's are great. Next willbe the "all coilovers under $2k are crap, made in Mexico in the same factory, and warranties by the devil himself."

My question is at what price point do coilovers improve the cars ride and handling?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ Great Point. I think all suspension and coilover threads can be summed up by the inequality;

Bilstein + SpecR < (Ohlins, JRZ, Moton, Penske)

There is nothing in between the two that will garner any praise, so either buy some used MR bilsteins and springs now, or start saving...
Old Jan 8, 2011, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

ooh me me...

I'm by no means an expert but I know a few suspension guys and installed over a dozen varied suspensions on Evos. A coilover price I don't think dictates quality because many are over priced.

On my Evo I've run the following:

Evo X GSR

Stock
Stock with Eibach pro kit
Muellerized JIC
Moton Clubsports
Eibach Pro R2

Now out of these I am on the R2 and will never change. I got the hookup with them for under 2k with 12/10 custom spring rates brand new...

As for the muellerized secret setup... I think it's bull**** cause I've known him for a long time and just think as long as he gets people to believe he has a secret it will keep his business going...

Screw that cause it is all the same... You can only do so much with a spring or adjustability. I know Robi will tell you and post on the forums what's done to your car. So does many other shops...

So in the long run... Buy what you can afford for the application you plan on using it for....

Quick Reply: Best Coilovers with Pillow for under $2000