Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear diff options for the street

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:57 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Oh, you're one of those "the streets are an acceptable place to test the full limits of my car" people. I guess that the tire wear, brake pads, etc should have been a clue.

Good luck, try not to kill anyone.
How nice. Clearly, you just wanted to take a shot at me and not actually discuss this topic. That's all this comes down to. Do you have anything to add regarding the passage you omitted in its entirely, the one that focused on the dynamics of the machine?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
How nice. Clearly, you just wanted to take a shot at me and not actually discuss this topic. That's all this comes down to. Do you have anything to add regarding the passage you omitted in its entirely, the one that focused on the dynamics of the machine?
I wrote a pretty thorough review of the rear diff mod in the "incorrectly from the factory" thread.

On a closed course, I almost spun and then did spin on my first run after doing the diff. So when I say don't hurt anyone, there's a reason. It changes the car, a lot, under throttle. I can't fathom why you seem so proud of yourself for burning through tires and brake pads on a 99.9% street car, but whatever. The important thing is that no one ends up on the losing end of your "fun".

-John, who spent most of last Sunday in a hospital room with someone who'd been hit by a car on a curvy road, but I'm sure that you're careful!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 03:32 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
I wrote a pretty thorough review of the rear diff mod in the "incorrectly from the factory" thread.
A link would have been helpful, as would a direct answer, but you're just looking for a fight. Shoot me a PM. I promise it'll be an experience you won't soon forget.

On a closed course, I almost spun and then did spin on my first run after doing the diff. So when I say don't hurt anyone, there's a reason. It changes the car, a lot, under throttle. I can't fathom why you seem so proud of yourself for burning through tires and brake pads on a 99.9% street car, but whatever. The important thing is that no one ends up on the losing end of your "fun".
<grin> Love the sanctimonious language. As I already wrote, that was said to give an idea as to the car's use. Where as many folks talk about the track days they never actually attend and the auto-x runs they plan to make at some point in the future, I prefer not to lie.

At this point I have to ask you to stop trying to take this thread off-topic. If you want to talk about a locking diff, great. If you want to talk about me, I'm sure there are men much younger than myself looking for a date.

-John, who spent most of last Sunday in a hospital room with someone who'd been hit by a car on a curvy road, but I'm sure that you're careful!
It's a shame Oprah is off air.

Last edited by FJF; Nov 25, 2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
back on topic, ... I would honestly perform the "rear diff rearrangement" mod and see how you like it.

Most guys find it more than enough for spirited street driving. I've performed a bunch of these now personally. (Actually, it's on the aggressive side for street driving) Once you wear down the stock plates, then you can step up to a 12 plate.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
2 seconds faster on a 60 second course is a lofty claim. What exactly is the stock ACD map doing wrong?

I can say that .5 seconds on a 60 second autox course was my improvement with the acd flash. For most folks I would guess this is what your likely to see.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
A link would have been helpful, as would a direct answer, but you're just looking for a fight. Shoot me a PM. I promise it'll be an experience you won't soon forget.
The 'Internet Tough Guy' routine never impresses anyone, and it's certainly not doing you any favors on this forum.

Originally Posted by FJF
<grin> Love the sanctimonious language. As I already wrote, that was said to give an idea as to the car's use. Where as many folks talk about the track days they never actually attend and the auto-x runs they plan to make at some point in the future, I prefer not to lie.

At this point I have to ask you to stop trying to take this thread off-topic. If you want to talk about a locking diff, great. If you want to talk about me, I'm sure there are men much younger than myself looking for a date.

ButtDyno actually has a very relevant point here. If your only goal is to drive your car like a maniac on the street, then you do not want the rear diff mod. From the factory, the rear diff sets the car up to burn off excess torque without sending the car into a spin.

Take a look at some of the videos and comments from experienced AutoX people who have done the rear diff mod. The consensus is that it takes some time to get used to, and is definitely more prone to snap oversteer. Why would you want this for your situation? It's just going to make the car a bigger mismatch for your lack of track/AutoX skills.

Stick to the stock diff.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by TommiM
I can say that .5 seconds on a 60 second autox course was my improvement with the acd flash. For most folks I would guess this is what your likely to see.
Okay, that's more in the realm of reality. Still a huge jump, though.

Which reflash did you go with?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:09 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
The 'Internet Tough Guy' routine never impresses anyone, and it's certainly not doing you any favors on this forum.
<sigh> Emoticons exist for a reason.

Ahhh, you are aware of emoticons after all.

ButtDyno actually has a very relevant point here. If your only goal is to drive your car like a maniac on the street, then you do not want the rear diff mod. From the factory, the rear diff sets the car up to burn off excess torque without sending the car into a spin.
One would be far more inclined to take your comments seriously, if you focused on the car's dynamics, in lieu of trying to land a shot somewhere along the way. You want to be aggressive, fine. Don't hide behind a semi-technical response, be a man, say what's on your mind and deal with it. Hell, you can PM me, too, if you want.

Take a look at some of the videos and comments from experienced AutoX people who have done the rear diff mod.
I have. Please realize that I've been an active participant on this forum for +5 years.

The consensus is that it takes some time to get used to, and is definitely more prone to snap oversteer. Why would you want this for your situation?
Amazing. You obviously have no personal experience with this, you have no idea who I am, your only claim to fame is a reference to a haphazardly analyzed "consensus" with zero grounding in empirical means, and you're here trying to further an aggressive stance based on what? Pure ignorance?

It's just going to make the car a bigger mismatch for your lack of track/AutoX skills.

Stick to the stock diff.
Thanks for the advice. Best I can gather, I ran my first event before you were born.

Edit: I'm sorry; still (literally) laughing at "track skills." It's the phrasing that's the icing on the cake; though, I thought skills was supposed to be spelled with a z.

We all had a little fun with this, we all said our peace. Time to move on. Clearly, there are folks interested in this discussion, so let's try to keep it on topic. Thanks, everyone, for contributing.

Last edited by FJF; Nov 26, 2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: text
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by FJF
<trollish rambling>
Cute.

But seriously, what is it you're trying to accomplish on the street with a modded diff? From your original post in this thread:

Originally Posted by FJF
I'm looking for drivability, control, and ultimately fun behind the wheel. I want a car that I can easily control, a car that's faster and more fun as a result of the mod. I don't have the skill to fight the car.
This is what I based my recommendation on. The stock diff is perfect for this.

Last edited by Construct; Nov 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nightwalker
Most guys find it more than enough for spirited street driving. I've performed a bunch of these now personally. (Actually, it's on the aggressive side for street driving) Once you wear down the stock plates, then you can step up to a 12 plate.
Does anyone have any input on how long the stock plates last? Obviously depends entirely on how the car is driven, but if anyone has any experience here I'd love to hear it.

New plates from Mitsubishi are expensive, and paying someone to do a proper rebuild with new plates is more expensive than just flipping the stock plates around.

Last edited by Construct; Nov 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
back on topic...

FJF, even with my Cusco, which locks up more than a TRE max lock 1.5 way, i can go WOT on a not too sharp highway onramp and I won't go sideways. Just test it out in an empty parking lot.

I understand what people are saying, but don't see what the problem is. I'm not getting the impression he's gonna be doing a time attack from madison square garden to central park.. just doesn't want something that, if he hits the throttle on corner exit, won't* whip around bite his head off - am I right?

If that's the case, you're really fine with even the 12 plate maxx lock 1.5way. Keep in mind the car is still AWD - all four wheels will be still getting power, etc. Even WOT and completely turned, the cars not just gonna spin into a donut.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimately the balance of the car and how twitchy it gets will be determined much more by the size of the rear sway bar than the rear diff. I was one of the earliest adopters of TRE's rear diff so I'm pretty sure that I have the 8 plate. With a stock rear bar the car drives perfectly neutral. At WOT coming out of a tight corner, it simply hooks up at the apex with no hint of over/understeer. Now with a bigger rear bar set to full soft the turn in and corner exit behaviour is noticeably more rear biased; in other words I have to remain much more alert and be ready to countersteer. It's not twitchy yet (I imagine I could now get that by setting the RSB to full stiff), but I can get nice drifts just about anytime I want. Taking all of this into account I'd say that the rear diff by itself isn't going to give you a twitchy, tail happy car - that comes from all the other suspension pieces running in conjunction with the rear diff

l8r)
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:13 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
I understand what people are saying, but don't see what the problem is. I'm not getting the impression he's gonna be doing a time attack from madison square garden to central park.. just doesn't want something that, if he hits the throttle on corner exit, won't* whip around bite his head off - am I right?
Of course. Let's be realistic here, regardless of what the noob patrol tries to interpolate from a few words on a screen.

[OT]I kind of hoped to influence a change in forum behavior with the thread, in a sense that almost everyone who comes here talking about the racing they never do, and we're then forced to make our recommendations based on factors that have little to do with a given application. Drives me up the wall and I know it does the same for other regulars. The end result is what? The individual chooses a setup that actually makes him slower, but rests safely knowing it's theoretically better in a competitive situation he'll never encounter. That's not what I'm looking for.[/OT]
Old Nov 26, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

This was not OUR product.... I'm assuming GS maybe.

Originally Posted by TommiM
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i can see how rearranging the plates would be great for the street, just changing the diff fluid to redline non slip made a noticeable difference with mine.

Quick Reply: Rear diff options for the street