Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear diff options for the street

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 740 Likes on 572 Posts
The diff truly enforces the fact that an Evo is a slow in - fast out car. Steady state understeer is almost inevitable unless you decrease rear grip (to much bar, extra air pressure (my preference), etc), or get more traction in the front running an offset tire size. So to counter this on an Evo with whats usually an abundance of power, most things are driven in the transitional phases while keep the steady state to straight lines or large arcs.

Always braking in a straight line, rarely trail braking, and being back on throttle all the way through the turn... Thats how you'll make the evo feel like magic.

With this driving style, the Rear diff is a huge gain. From my post above of how I feel the rear diff effects front grip, its clear to me that to accelerate through the corner you need the rear to be doing its full share of the work.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:13 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bhmax
Did you make a decision on this? I also see myself doing this and am looking for more input from someone like you and what you described you're hoping for out of the mod.
Originally Posted by Smike
Yeah, any direction you have gone with Felix?

Looking at where I want to go with the next racecar. One of which is an 03/04 8 with very basic mods for TTB. The rear diff mod (or free mod) is high on to-do's if I get one.
I was ready to pull the trigger when I started the thread. Due to my usual vacillation, I waited to contemplate the options and encountered a child-driven expense that ate almost all of my budget. I hope to save a bit over the winter, order the diff and have it installed sometime next April/May. The lesson to be learned from all this - don't have kids. My son doesn't even like cars....
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Keep us posted

Could start putting calendars of cars with those overly gussied up gals everywhere...then slowly transition to just awesome car calendars. Subtle hints to love cars.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How will the 12 Plate Max Lock Diff work on an AYC equipped car?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
You might want to consider the extra noises that will come from a 12plate upgrade. It can be trivial or annoying depending on the person. And really I don't think anyone has ever posted their experience of the diff in wet / snow conditions. Would be good to know.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Curious about rain and snow use myself. Leaning towards an 8 plate rebuild and possibly acd reflash depending how it feels after that.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deeman101
You might want to consider the extra noises that will come from a 12plate upgrade. It can be trivial or annoying depending on the person. And really I don't think anyone has ever posted their experience of the diff in wet / snow conditions. Would be good to know.
Yeah but the 8 plate makes noise too. It is starting to get a little annoying but it has improved my cars handling for autox. I am debating a 12 plate upgrade as we speak. I have driven my car in rain pretty aggressive and with RS3's and found the car to still have tons of grip so I can only assume that unless really pushing your car it won't be a death trap or unsafe for somebody with common sense.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:03 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
I have driven my car in rain pretty aggressive and with RS3's and found the car to still have tons of grip so I can only assume that unless really pushing your car it won't be a death trap or unsafe for somebody with common sense.
In all fairness, I can get the car to oversteer pretty easily on the throttle in the rain, and other likely can, as well. I think we're mostly concerned with the difference in the car's response with a locking diff.

Last edited by FJF; Nov 12, 2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

I have the 12-plate.. I went for a spirited drive in the rain last night, i feel it had the same oversteer as before... I wasn't on a track or closed road so i wasn't pushing it, but its not something to fear.. I've had my diff for 3 weeks now and am totally used to it. U can anticipate the oversteer in the dry, and if u enter a corner too hot u know for a fact that u can WOT and it will FOR SURE oversteer u out of the corner.. There's no wondering "hmm will it under or over". Since the 12 plate upgrade i haven't experienced understeer yet, been to Streets Of Willow twice, and lots of mountain driving. Also being used to the diff when daily driving u can make the diff not as clunky when going thru a parking lot, or making that left turn at a light. You get used to it and i cant stress enough how amazing the 12 plate is. U dont want to settle with anything lower
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:27 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kanyonkid
I have the 12-plate.. I went for a spirited drive in the rain last night, i feel it had the same oversteer as before... I wasn't on a track or closed road so i wasn't pushing it, but its not something to fear.. I've had my diff for 3 weeks now and am totally used to it. U can anticipate the oversteer in the dry, and if u enter a corner too hot u know for a fact that u can WOT and it will FOR SURE oversteer u out of the corner.. There's no wondering "hmm will it under or over". Since the 12 plate upgrade i haven't experienced understeer yet, been to Streets Of Willow twice, and lots of mountain driving. Also being used to the diff when daily driving u can make the diff not as clunky when going thru a parking lot, or making that left turn at a light. You get used to it and i cant stress enough how amazing the 12 plate is. U dont want to settle with anything lower
Oh, man, you are SO selling me on the 12-plate. Thanks for the comment.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
In all fairness, I can get the car to oversteer pretty easily on the throttle in the rain, and other likely can, as well. I think we're mostly concerned with the difference in the car's response with a locking diff.
Not as easily. I find I have to use a lot less throttle to get my car to oversteer in the rain whereas before it required full throttle or for me to carry a lot of speed into a turn. The rain really isn't what we should be focusing on here though as it is dry grip that causes understeer. Coming from somebody who has done the stock diff mod I say I have already outgrown it and currently looking into the 12 plate upgrade.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
^ On the 6 plate how was the lock up on the diff. Especially between grip and oversteer? Gradual, snappy, easily controllable with the throttle, on/off switch, etc. Does it just put the power down and go or give you too much oversteer drama going around a corner on the track (assuming you're against the clock). Will it step out only when you want it to, or do you have to chase the rear sometimes.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
^ On the 6 plate how was the lock up on the diff. Especially between grip and oversteer? Gradual, snappy, easily controllable with the throttle, on/off switch, etc. Does it just put the power down and go or give you too much oversteer drama going around a corner on the track (assuming you're against the clock). Will it step out only when you want it to, or do you have to chase the rear sometimes.
Stock is still an 8 plate but with the clutch plates arranged improperly. It lacked throttle oversteer and would understeer a lot. The modified 8plate still isn't oversteer on demand but when exiting a turn with throttle you can kick the rear out much easier than before. When done this way oversteer is gradual and easy to control.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Trini7
How will the 12 Plate Max Lock Diff work on an AYC equipped car?
I believe you can't dot his with AYC Car
In order to do that,you have to remove AYC and fit RS LSD Rear Differential
Not 100% firm through
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Always braking in a straight line, rarely trail braking, and being back on throttle all the way through the turn... Thats how you'll make the evo feel like magic.

With this driving style, the Rear diff is a huge gain. From my post above of how I feel the rear diff effects front grip, its clear to me that to accelerate through the corner you need the rear to be doing its full share of the work.
I find it interesting that in my experience with my '03, I've always found trail braking to help a lot in mitigating initial understeer, even with my current setup and even moreso in wet conditions. No auto-x though, just road racing.

l8r)

Quick Reply: Rear diff options for the street