Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear diff options for the street

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by nightwalker
A little bit of info because someone asked some posts ago. You're going to have to service your rear diff fluid more frequently because the plates are now shedding material.

In 3k miles, my fluid was silvery. I have 10k on mine now and no signs of giving up the ghost. From drift experience with clutch LSD's, they last sometime. Most drifters rebuild their's every year if they compete a lot. Some every other year.

I can't see the Evo needing that frequent of a rebuild because we're not spinning our tires through every turn.

Your tires will also wear a lot faster in the rear with this mod.
IDK if they'll wear a LOT faster unless you're pushing the car pretty hard - there'll be a little bit more wear but like you said we're not spinning our tires every turn. It will take some wear off of the front tires though too
Old Dec 4, 2011, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My tires wear fast in the rear because mine sounds like this....
http://youtu.be/txRim96JIXY
Old Dec 4, 2011, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

My tires wear fast in the rear because mine sounds like this....
http://youtu.be/txRim96JIXY
which version do you have?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

In 3k miles, my fluid was silvery. .

What fluid are you using?

When I first got my TRE diff I put 100 miles on it, then changed the fluid. The redline fluid that was goldish when it was new was looking silvery. I didnt really like seeing that so I kept changing the fluid out my diff every couple hundred miles.. First time was at 100 miles, then at 300, then 800 miles. After the 800 mile interval I left it in for 3k miles. I changed it out then and it came out really clean, no more silvery fluid. I usually change out my rear diff fluid every 3k miles and the fluid always comes out clean.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

I use diaqueen with a FM additive. I'm not worried about the silvery fluid. But you do want to service the fluid at leask every 10k.

The video is a stock re-arranged diff. That's it.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
Most people who run diaqueen find there's no clunking or noise at all.
yes mine does not make any noises at all with OEM diaqueen.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run OEM fluid and at low speeds or from a dead stop I get clicks and clunks. I did the weir 12 plate upgrade.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
FWIW I've definitely noticed the increase in lift of understeer in long sweepers autocrossing before. LFB may need to be applied rather than lifting off the decrease speed in those scenarios.
Interesting. Do you think the understeer in lift-throttle on long sweepers is significantly more pronounced than with the stock diff? Or does it just seem more significant relative to the more neutral/oversteer behavior when on the throttle with the new diff? I guess this depends on how much preload is on the clutch pack in the differential, as I was under the impression that the stock diff is a 1-way (although a search reveals a minority of posters who suggest it's a 1.5 way).

With my stock diff, I definitely get more understeer when I'm on the throttle on an AutoX course.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
Interesting. Do you think the understeer in lift-throttle on long sweepers is significantly more pronounced than with the stock diff? Or does it just seem more significant relative to the more neutral/oversteer behavior when on the throttle with the new diff? I guess this depends on how much preload is on the clutch pack in the differential, as I was under the impression that the stock diff is a 1-way (although a search reveals a minority of posters who suggest it's a 1.5 way).

With my stock diff, I definitely get more understeer when I'm on the throttle on an AutoX course.
i had someone who drove my car along with me who said he noticed it, so I guess it is fairly significant. I do have a Cusco 1.5 way, the stocker is absolutely a 1 way
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I just drove around with my shep 12 plate rear diff. No noises that I can hear from inside the car. At all. This is with oem fluid.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:16 AM

which version do you have?
That's a stock rearranged diff.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
I figured this post deserves a bump....

I'm about to break 100K miles today, not bad for a 2003!

I just did my own 100K service to include:
Changing ALL the fluids
Weir 12 Plate
Shep T-Case state 2 build
Exedy Clutch Rebuild
replaced bushings in the rear

I noticed an immediate difference and I've only been driving conservatively until I go through at least 200 miles and break in the T-case again... I cant wait to throw it into a turn and make her dig in.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

This was an excellent read with my morning coffee I've been going back and fourth about having TRE do max lock on mine, I guess I'm hesitent because I don't want to lose the neutral feel of my car and I don't want to have to learn it all over again. I want it sharper and I like that if you go into a corner too hot, punch it and maybe get out rather than push thru the corner but I don't want it to be too strong where I take an entrance ramp on the thruway and the back end hits the wall when throttling out... I feel like if anything doing this upgrade is going to slow me down because I then have to learn it, confidence goes out the window.

I wish I could drive someone elses car that has max lock done, then make my decision :-)