Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

I hate understeer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going from what you have said about your event in the rain you probably had to transition onto full throttle slower. When it's dry how fast are you getting on the throttle? I started experiencing this at my last track event and realized at that point I was throttle steering and car was acting like a rwd, so getting onto the throttle slower helped.

I'm on stock suspension with whiteline front and rear sway bars along with the rca.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

If you're talking about that close up sweeper, well to me it just looks like the characteristics of a 3200 lb car on squishy street tires with soft front springs lol. Those RS3 have great grip but are super squishy sidewalls, and youre rolling them over hard and losing turn in. It also looks more like you were using HPDE type technique, which will vary greatly when autocrossing. With auto x you want to be very darty and shortest lines. Also just a question what pads are you using? I don't see much hard braking, just kinda flowing off throttle into the turns (or it looks that way in the video)
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
You tried more camber up front?
-3 deg camber is already a lot of camber for a street driven car (tire wear). Start with stiffer springs and dial the rebound/dampening in, then a rear sway bar. And if that doesn't completely fix it, LSD front and rear does wonders for a predictable neutral handling... but are not cheap.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I agree with 03whitegsr. Id like to see the front camber maxed out too. Stiffer front spring rate and a revalve on the front struts if possible. There is some pronounced dive under braking. Wider front meats and rims...at least 255's on 9.5's. A set of properly setup sway bars might help rotation.

Last edited by sparky; Aug 18, 2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nasty Evolution
If you're talking about that close up sweeper, well to me it just looks like the characteristics of a 3200 lb car on squishy street tires with soft front springs lol. Those RS3 have great grip but are super squishy sidewalls, and youre rolling them over hard and losing turn in. It also looks more like you were using HPDE type technique, which will vary greatly when autocrossing. With auto x you want to be very darty and shortest lines. Also just a question what pads are you using? I don't see much hard braking, just kinda flowing off throttle into the turns (or it looks that way in the video)
What are some good (sticky) tires with nice stiff sidewalls? I had soft sidewall tires on my last car and switching to stiffer sidewalls helped reduce understeer nicely.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

subscribed
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallyBud
What are some good (sticky) tires with nice stiff sidewalls? I had soft sidewall tires on my last car and switching to stiffer sidewalls helped reduce understeer nicely.
Well stock over priced Advans lol, RE07's, Heck even the starspecs are not as squishy as the RS3's. ANY R compound tire, R888's, NT01, R1's. I'd have to thumb through tire rack to see what's currently out that I missed.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:42 PM

What class of tires are you looking at? For summer performance tires, Dunlop star specs are great for the price. I am partial to the RE11s but AD08s are also really really great for a street tire. I have never tried the Proxes R1Rs so that is what I just ordered. I haver never used the tire you are talking about so I can't say how they compare.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about. I've been running the AD08's for a couple years. For the first 4-5 events, they are badass and are capable of thundering down top times of day, as I have done before. But then after that, they progressively get worse and worse. They exhibit that mid corner push you speak of. It's very decent on turn-in, but as soon as you start rolling on the throttle for steady state, getting ready for exit, you push! If I jump into my competitor's STI, it carves the corners beautifully.

Lately, I've been tinkering with everything on the setup to get rid of this, but haven't found the right settings yet. I'm sure it's got something to do with the tires' wear rate too. I've got 6-7yrs of experience by now, so I know the driving isn't that out of whack.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
Yeah I struggle on 135 degree turns but take them VERY slow. The course designer owns a miata and you can tell too. 11k isn't too high as national guys run 16k in the rear. My most favorite event to date was one in the rain and the car rotated perfectly around turns. If these springs don't do it then a TRE 12 plate will.

Here's a thought, if you go 9k/11k and you don't like it, try throwing your old 7k's up front. You might be surprised. You could also keep the same exact setup and delete the front sway and see how that is.

Falken 615k sidewalls are extremely stiff IMO.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nasty Evolution
That was my second lap of the day so I was still learning the course. I have giro disc magic pads that I am replacing with EBC Blues. Those magic pads can't stop for ****.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You can get a car to rotate on snow tires....this isn't a "tire" problem.

The limit before understeer will definitely be higher and the balance could improve with stickier tires, but you should be able to get it to do what you want with your tires.

Do you have any in-car video? What are your toe settings? Also ride height.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Aug 19, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Let someone with more experience drive the car and see if it still understeers.

My car used to suffer from horrible understeer in the corners, at least I thought it was the car. It would happen on corner entry and exit. It took a little while but I finally realized it wasn't the car understeering as much as the driver trying to push too hard. Once I started to go in slower (slow in fast out) and not try and power out of the turns like a RWD car my understeer magically went away.

Another thing that helps is to either trail-brake into corners and/or lift off the throttle pre-apex to rotate the car around. those two things along with going in slow helped my driver induced understeer greatly.

Once you have that understeer problem figured out I would then add the TRE 1.5 way 12 plate diff into the equation. that diff will let you POWER OUT of the corners like a rwd car but you need to be positioned correctly to take advantage of that first which is why I said take care of the understeering problem FIRST.

Good luck
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:54 AM

Make sure you're not on the front bump stops. It's easy to end up on them, then you do nothing but understeer, and all the other changes you make won't seem to have an effect.

If you're running the front bar in the full stiff position (with the new holes), you might try putting one of the endlinks back in the stock hole and see if that helps a bit.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

I would let a skilled eve driver take my car for a ride if I could find one. I am always the only one around here and since I come in first I can't be called a total newb. I try and watch a lot of in-car videos and they seem to do what I do without issues. I am hoping a quality spring will fix my issues. Any advice on tire pressure from you guys who ran RS3's?

Quick Reply: I hate understeer