Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

I hate understeer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
Once you have that understeer problem figured out I would then add the TRE 1.5 way 12 plate diff into the equation. that diff will let you POWER OUT of the corners like a rwd car but you need to be positioned correctly to take advantage of that first which is why I said take care of the understeering problem FIRST.

Good luck
IIRC, he already has that diff.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
I would let a skilled eve driver take my car for a ride if I could find one. I am always the only one around here and since I come in first I can't be called a total newb. I try and watch a lot of in-car videos and they seem to do what I do without issues. I am hoping a quality spring will fix my issues. Any advice on tire pressure from you guys who ran RS3's?
I notice you have Orlando in your profile, you live in Orlando?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stormin Norman
IIRC, he already has that diff.
he has the modded stock diff which is 8 plates not 12
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thoe99
I notice you have Orlando in your profile, you live in Orlando?
Not anymore but if you want to come to PBIR September 18th you are more than welcome to drive my car.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

I just have a few questions. Is it on Turn In or on Exit that you have the Understeer? How long have you been racing? What setting is your rear sway bar set at? And what setting do you have your shocks set to?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeRacing
I just have a few questions. Is it on Turn In or on Exit that you have the Understeer? How long have you been racing? What setting is your rear sway bar set at? And what setting do you have your shocks set to?
It is on turn in but mostly mid corner. I have eight events under my belt so far with all of my SCCA races being top two in Street modified. My shocks have 5 clicks from soft in the front and 15 clicks from soft in the rear. As noted my stock rear sway bar is drilled.

Last edited by RevMoto; Aug 19, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

I race in Street Modified with 255/35 dunlop z1 star specs. It sounds like driver error to be honest. The car set up sounds right. Im going to assume your tire pressure to be around 38-40psi hot.

Sounds like your coming in to the corner to fast and at the wrong angle. Mid turn understeer sounds like you are turning the steering wheel to far to make up for the bad entry angle.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like your coming in to the corner to fast and at the wrong angle. Mid turn understeer sounds like you are turning the steering wheel to far to make up for the bad entry angle.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

I race in Street Modified with 255/35 dunlop z1 star specs. It sounds like driver error to be honest. The car set up sounds right. Im going to assume your tire pressure to be around 38-40psi hot.

My tire pressure is 34/36 hot. I will take an in car video of my next event but it won't be as tight of a course.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Increase tire pressure to 37 front 39 rear and see if u feel a difference. On street tires you want more pressure to reduce tire roll.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RjRacing05
-3 deg camber is already a lot of camber for a street driven car (tire wear). Start with stiffer springs and dial the rebound/dampening in, then a rear sway bar. And if that doesn't completely fix it, LSD front and rear does wonders for a predictable neutral handling... but are not cheap.
I'll agree it's a lot of camber for street driving.

But for auto-x, it's on the low side. Particularly with the soft springs and roll bar setup he has. Depends on the tire too though as some tires do better with more or less camber.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
RevMoto, if you like, you can meet me at Xtreme Indoor on Tuesday, to kart with the local Ferrari group. You can test your skills, and I can test you ride if you like.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

noone recommended the gruppe-s acd reflash? is it useless?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wasFWDnowAWD
noone recommended the gruppe-s acd reflash? is it useless?
If your looking for more aggressive differential your better spending your money in the rear diff with the TRE 12plate Max Lock. Thats the best mod for an evo hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPr9IXfLnj8
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

New to my evo, only had it a couple of months. Only street use for now, might like to try some ax at some point. I'd like to get rid of the turn-in to mid corner understeer I experience. My limited experience in fwd cars has me wanting to add a larger rsb, but reading here it seems like that isn't the best option. Does the rear diff rebuild or acd reflash have any effect off throttle, or is it only when you are on the power?

Quick Reply: I hate understeer