Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Higher Rate Springs than Swift Spec R?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Higher Rate Springs than Swift Spec R?

Is there anyone making higher rate springs than the Swift Spec R to fit MR or HD bilsteins? Will be revalving my HDs to compliment.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 05:55 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GT Worx springs has the highest rates I believe.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 05:56 AM
chu
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ate-chart.html
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks. According to that chart, the GTworx springs have a lower rate than the main rate of the Spec Rs. regardless, I was hoping for much more. Something in the 500 lbs to 600 lbs or more range.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:09 AM
chu
Evolved Member

The GT Worx are linear rates, vs. the Spec Rs progressive rate. In essensce, you're right about peak rates, but there is a difference from a performance standpoint. There's no spring that I know of that has the rates you're looking for. Maybe look into coilovers if you need those higher rates.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with Chu, as much as I hate to admit it. You won't find those kinds of rates unless you go to a coilover set-up.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Spec Rs are also near linear at the range they are stroking from. The lower section is compressed (like helper springs). You're into the meat of their rate on the road.

500-600 lb = coil overs.

What is the car for?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
The GT Worx are linear rates, vs. the Spec Rs progressive rate. In essensce, you're right about peak rates, but there is a difference from a performance standpoint. There's no spring that I know of that has the rates you're looking for. Maybe look into coilovers if you need those higher rates.
Thanks again. I have done a bit of research and that's what I come up with as well. Good coilovers are $$$ as you know and I don't want cheap ones. Since I already have the HDs and they can be revalved for just about any rate, I was hoping for off-the-shelf springs to fit.

Maybe someone has had custom springs made/cut for the stock struts or figured out what free length and rate fits? It seems like to wouldn't be too difficult. The hard thing is experimenting for the right ride height.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Its just a matter of money and expense. You'll be near coil-over costs by the point you get the setup correct and springs produced.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Smike
Spec Rs are also near linear at the range they are stroking from. The lower section is compressed (like helper springs). You're into the meat of their rate on the road.

500-600 lb = coil overs.

What is the car for?
Its for autocross and DD. I am willing to live with high rates on the street. My previous E36 M3 had 550 lbs springs and was fine to me for DD.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Its just a matter of money and expense. You'll be near coil-over costs by the point you get the setup correct and springs produced.
I am sure you are right, but I thought it was worth asking. Revalving will cost about $300. If I can find springs for about $500, that would be an awesome setup for relatively little cost. The Bilsteins are really good shocks if revalved for the spring rate and for the intended function.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Used AST, GTWorx KW3, Ohlins can be had from $800-1100. Or new from $1800-2500.

For all the headache and work to create a custom rate spring/length and revalve the Bilsteins; you'll be over the used coil-over and likely near new costs. And you will not be able to adjust your planned setup.

GTWorx and Swift Spec Rs are great as a non-adjustable setup (rate, dampening, height). But you can only ask so much of that setup before you are into the fully adjustable coil-over range.

EDIT: someone was looking at installing threaded sleeves on Bilsteins for the Evo. Not sure on costs. Then you gain some height adjustments.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Used AST, GTWorx KW3, Ohlins can be had from $800-1100. Or new from $1800-2500.

For all the headache and work to create a custom rate spring/length and revalve the Bilsteins; you'll be over the used coil-over and likely near new costs. And you will not be able to adjust your planned setup.

GTWorx and Swift Spec Rs are great as a non-adjustable setup (rate, dampening, height). But you can only ask so much of that setup before you are into the fully adjustable coil-over range.

EDIT: someone was looking at installing threaded sleeves on Bilsteins for the Evo. Not sure on costs. Then you gain some height adjustments.
I've been watching for used coilovers for some time, but have not seen good ones for that price. I guess you just have to be patient, lucky and quick. Plus, anything you buy used is going to need a rebuild, not really knowing their history. So then the cost jumps up to somewere in the $1300+ range.

You are of course right about adjustability, but I think adjustability is somewhat over-rated. Damping adjustability would be nice, yes, but get them revalved for the application and you should be 99% there.

My plan is to go with the Spec Rs at this point as you suggest. I was just looking to see if there are any other options out there for higher rates. Thanks again.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

I agree on adaptability. Once car is set. Don't mess with it. Mess with driving it flat out.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Toyed with the idea of hacking up some struts for some ground control sleeves due to the high rate but stuck with revalved and spec r's/ front and rear sway and this set up is pretty good on my R comps.

Quick Reply: Higher Rate Springs than Swift Spec R?