Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

EBC Sport Grooved Rotors

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2004, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EBC Sport Grooved Rotors

Okay, the time has come to try out some different rotors to fix my "warped rotor" issue. I've tried new pads, and that didn't fix it. I've put about 4k on the new pads and the car is starting to shake under high speed braking again.

Needing new tires too, I figured I'd look on tirerack for some different rotors too. To my surprise, they had some EBC Sport Grooved Sport Brake Rotors for $280/pair.

Has anyone used these rotors before? Neal, what's your take on these? I really like the price on these. They are definately cheaper than the alternative aftermarket rotors, most of them around $500/pair.

Any input/comments appreciated.

TIA guys/gals.

Peace,
Doug
Old Jan 5, 2004, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look good but only available for the front. I will wait till the rears are also available. Thanks for the info
Old Jan 5, 2004, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

I used them on our road race evo6 and they are very good, we tried the apex before and didnt like it, These are very good, only downsize is that they dont make it for the rear and according to them does not have any plans to make the rears.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 07:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great rotor to have Same overall diameter as your stock rotors, but have grooves machined into the face. They also have dimples machined into them, but those are more eye candy than anything else. I get really good results form people who use them.

I dont have any in stock right now. It might be a few weeks untill I do. EBC does not produce them for the rear yet either

Old Jan 6, 2004, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

I've tried new pads, and that didn't fix it.
What pads did you change to?

Not even EBC can screw up cast iron. I'm sure they're fine.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Maddmatt

What pads did you change to?

Not even EBC can screw up cast iron. I'm sure they're fine.
I have Ferrodo DS2500 pads on now. They squeak like hell when I stop at slow speeds, and the car shakes like warped rotors at high speeds. My car is all f-d up.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

check out a company called DBA (disc brakes Australia). They make a 2 piece rotor with aluminum hat to cut down on unsprung weight. IIRC it's the 5000 series that is the 2 piece. Comes painted with thermo paint to let you know the temp and also has their "Kangaroo Paw" vented rotor system (teardrop and diamond shapes replace the regular vanes for better cooling).

I believe they are imported by stillen and rebadged as brake-pros brand also. Heard nothing but good things about them on WRX's, have not personally tried them myself, but they do have front and rear fitments for the EVO 8. Lemme know if you need the exact part #, I have it somewhere, bad guess is like p/n 5418 or something, do a search on google and you'll find them. Oh, and get the slotted UNDRILLED rotors. Crossdrilled is more bling if you ask me, also cuts down on soaking up heat and can lead to cracking around the crossdrilled holes. HTH
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

any update? These rotors are still on back order.

Neal when do you plan on getting these in? Also how do these compare to the Brembo Slotted you have on your website.

How are ppl liking these rotors and what pads are you running...thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:23 AM
Former Sponsor

EBC said they are hoping to get them here by the first week in Aug. However, stock I have arriving (or hoping to arrive) is already spoken for. I would say the quality is similar to Brembos. The EBC's have dimples machined into the face that are more eye candy than function. So bite on overall surface area would be a bit better in the Brembos (which are on B/O as well ) Only ones I have in stock at the moment are Brembo drilled.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
EBC said they are hoping to get them here by the first week in Aug. However, stock I have arriving (or hoping to arrive) is already spoken for. I would say the quality is similar to Brembos. The EBC's have dimples machined into the face that are more eye candy than function. So bite on overall surface area would be a bit better in the Brembos (which are on B/O as well ) Only ones I have in stock at the moment are Brembo drilled.
Thanks for the reply. Do you think the EBC pads and rotors will perform as well as the stock rotor and pads? They seem a lot cheaper than anything that's out there in the market. There are tons of ppl here that don't track (road course), autocross their car so do you think this is a set up for such ppl (street use) only?

I haven't seen any reviews on these yet and i know EBC makes quality products so I'm just looking for more info.

thanks
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe it's obvious but have you had the rotors turned before the new pads?
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:36 AM
Former Sponsor

A slotted rotor will always perform better than a standard rotor when venting gas or cooling. So you cant go wrong there. For the street EBC pads would be fine, however, they are a bit soft for my liking. I prefer the Hawk line, they feel a bit firmer in the foot.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Neal....Do EBC make slotted only rotor? I dont see it on your website.

thanks for the help
Old Jul 23, 2004, 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Just slotted/dimpled from them
Old Jul 23, 2004, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KZEVO
Thanks for the reply. Do you think the EBC pads and rotors will perform as well as the stock rotor and pads? They seem a lot cheaper than anything that's out there in the market. There are tons of ppl here that don't track (road course), autocross their car so do you think this is a set up for such ppl (street use) only?

I haven't seen any reviews on these yet and i know EBC makes quality products so I'm just looking for more info.

thanks

These are one of the best brakes ever. You will be dam lucky if you find them on the market. no one sales them and no one have them. However, they are the best

Quick Reply: EBC Sport Grooved Rotors